Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Jan 24th Perch Tourney.
First, thanks DWR for a great contest and event. It was the first time I have done a contest and it was a blast!!
Weather was great, sunny. didnt even put up my shelter. sat in the open all day and now have the raccoon face with sun exposure. I warmed up to be perfect, BUT the ice got really smooth, every time you cleaned your hole it was like the Zamboni coming by and turned the ice to glass all around you got slicker than wet snot. saw several people lose it and land on their butts trying to set a hook or move around in their area. provided entertainment, i hope no one was hurt with. that ice was getting more tail than a public toilet seat that day.

Now on to the the fishing...
I was in 30 to 35 FOW and had ice 8 to 10 inches thick.

I ended up catching 61 perch and 1 15 1/2 inch splake. I released about seven planters that came through during the day and would harrass me.

I was at the pull out with a crapper just past the store but before you get to fish lake lodge. Walked straight from the potty 75 yards after i got on the ice. drilled three holes in what I am assuming was the deep weed edge.

Used typical ice flies, the bite was light most of the time. started with meal worms and switched to perch eye with the first fish i caught, my action was fast enough it was difficult to fish with two poles so i gave up on that and just jerked perch.
I was tardy arriving so i wasnt fishing until maybe 8 or 8:30 am after i checked in and found a spot to get to.

at weigh in i was in first place for a adult male single(no team) until about 2:45 i had 15 Lbs 6 Oz of perch. then a guy checked in with 28 pounds on the radio from the other weigh in station and i went home.

I did hear through the day over radios people had near me the angler turn out was 9, 700 something.. almost ten THOUSAND people there. I believe it, there were people elbows to A holes up and down the lake. alot of fun.

have to get the family down there for a weekend again this season, my girls would have a blast...

back to cleaning perch... thanks Fish Lake and DWR for an awesome day on the ice. and starting my ice season off right this was my first outing this year.
[signature]