Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade Livewell / Bait tanks??
Wanted to put a feeler out there for some of you die hard live bait fishermen. I am planning to build my own livewell for shad. When I remodeled my pontoon I took out the old livewell (damaged) with this intention. I am likely going to go with a 30 gallon drum or something near that size. I am curious if any of you have feedback on some of the ways you have gone about doing this that maximized the vitality of the bait fish and kept them alive.

I understand the need for air circulation, filtration and introducing freshwater, have done a bit of research. Have any of you gone down this path and what are some of the key things you learned?
[signature]
You can buy the do-it-yourself kits from Live Bait Larry on line designed to keep flow direction and aeration correct for shad. OR you can find a Kodiak tank new or used which some believe are the best for live bait. The oval 17-32 gallon sizes are the ones I have and still do use. On Havasu I put a small amount of Shad Keeper in bucket I transfer from net to. Then move them to tank. Just an opinion.
No need for air or "Shad Keeper".

1.) Barrel 32 gallon size is great.
2.) Get a bilge pump 800 to 1200 GPH.
3.) get hose to fit bilge pump (8ft length)

Next are you going to mount it to the back part of the pontoon? or at another location on board the boat?

Drill a hole a 1-1/4 4" down from the top and another one 4" below that one.

One for fill (in) and one for overflow (out)

Hook up the hose to the tank and pump goes in the lake.

Hook up RV flex type hose to lower hole for the drain.

Use bulk-head fitting with hose connects.
[signature]
Over flow drain at the top.
Fill hose will below the drain outlet.
[signature]
That's pretty much what i had in mind. When I pulled the old seat/livewell out i left the bilge pump in place that sits on the actual pontoon, I kept the hose connected which stays stored under one of my seats. I use it to spray off the boat these days but can run the line right up to the barrel quite easy. It also allows me to make use of the aerator switch on my dash without having to re-wire anything.

Any suggestions on where to procure a barrel? Found plenty of places online but wasnt sure if there was a local option. I'm sure there is but I havent found one yet.
[signature]
Some of the Strip club guys can get you a 34 gallon tank for cheap. Like 10 to 15 dollars.
I will ask around.
[signature]
[quote iamthesmf]Some of the Strip club guys can get you a 34 gallon tank for cheap. Like 10 to 15 dollars.
I will ask around.[/quote]

I don't like doing business with those Strip Club guys... Shady stuff there.

[Wink]
[signature]
Funny[Wink]

He did business with us (June Open) one time and got a couple of nice checks.

And some free cast nets, in a shady part of town at a gas station.
[signature]
www.barrel-company.com

They are in North Las Vegas.
[signature]
Quote:iamthesmf wrote:

He did business with us (June Open) one time and got a couple of nice checks.

And some free cast nets, in a shady part of town at a gas station.

[laugh] I've heard stories about that. I wasn't sure if they were true, but now I know for sure!

As far as the barrels.. I might check craigslist if nothing else works out. You can find good deals on just about anything if you're patient. The online option sounds expensive so I'd look around locally if you have the time. Maybe Iamthesmf's lead will pan out... only in vegas.
[signature]
One of these, perhaps?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/4862285455.html
[signature]