Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question...Uintah Cabins, Fishing, Hiking
I know that this post is a little out of the ordinary, but here goes. I have a granddaughter that has fished and hiked with me every summer since she was 6. She grew up in California but is attending college in Utah. She is new there and doesn't know much about Utah. I live in California and know nothing about Utah.

My wife and I are thinking about going back to see her this summer, and, as her schedule permits, get her up to a cabin for a little hiking and fishing. From what I have read, the Uintah mountains would be a good area.

We would like to rent a little rustic cabin with a kitchen and a shower. We would stay and fish some lakes and do some 4 to 6 mile round trip day hikes to do some back-country fishing.

I know that a number of members of this board are from Utah. Any ideas on where we could stay near some fishing/hiking areas?
[signature]
[#0000FF]I moved your post over here to the Utah General board from the float tubing board. You are likely to get more attention and possibly some good input here.

Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Moon lake is a large uinta lake that has smaller lakes in hiking distance. They have rustic cabins you can rent for around $130 a night with a kitchen and shower. The cabins were built during the depression with fed funds to get people back to work. If you want to rent a cabin you will need to call soon because they book up fast. Also it is a high elevation lake so July and August are the best months to go. I have stayed in their cabins a half dozen times and it is one of our family's favorite places to go. If you go in June be prepared to get snow. Call the moon lake resort to place a reservation.
[signature]
Check your pm.
[signature]
These prices have really gone up since I stayed there years ago and these are nightly rates, you might get a better rate if you are staying there longer.
http://bearriverlodge.com/
[signature]
The City of Evanston Wy. has some Yurts they rent on a nightly basis. They use them year around, so they have hiking and ski trails around them. I don't know any more that that but if your interested PM me and I will get you a contact #
[signature]
There are Yurts available in the Uintas too....check out [url "http://www.yurtsofutah.com"]www.yurtsofutah.com[/url] .
[signature]
Forget the Uintas, Fish Lake has everything you need and boat rentals if desired.
[signature]
Food for thought . The Unitas have a lot to offer consider renting an RV? You could be more mobile and check out a lot more area. Just brain storming. The Unitas are beautiful you will love it however you get there.
[signature]
Thank you. You and the other people who have posted have been most helpful. I have researched Fish Lake as well as renting an RV. Don't know which way I will go, but have time to think about it, and options to consider...thanks to the folks at BFT.
[signature]
http://spiritlakeutah.com
A lot depends on how much you want to hike. Unitas are pretty hardcore. I like day hiking because I am a lot faster with no gear.
[signature]
My two cents: Uinta hiking beats anything you're going to get at Fish Lake. However, if you drive about 45ish minutes from Fish Lake you'll find yourself in Capitol Reef National Park, which has some pretty spectacular scenery if you're not looking for pine forests. Good hiking there too.
[signature]
Spirit Lake lodge on the north slope used to have cabins, and many good day hikes, especial west and south. Lakes, peaks, ridges, Parks as open meadows are called. The Moon lake thing, is all the hikes are long and tons of elevation.

Maybe Bear River Lodge has some things, and then you could easily drive to Christmas Meadows TH, Crystal Lake Trail head, Ruth Lake TH, Pass Lake TH. With in shot of 100 lakes and numerous peaks.

All depends on how much and how far you'd like to go?
[signature]