Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Update: 2-06-15
With ice fishing pretty much done for now, I decided to try fishing Willard out of the North Marina. Made a minor attempt, took the kayak, sonar and life jacket, etc.

Weather was warm (Approximately 60 degrees) but quite windy with a strong South wind blowing into the Marina entrance so I was stuck in the marina and channel.

The water was quite muddy and the entrance to the lake had large piles of broken up ice about the size of ice cubes.

Got tired of fishing the channel, headed around the Marina. Other than the channel from the boat launch to the lake the deepest places I could find were only 3' deep.

Called it quits about Noon. Caught no fish, just not the right conditions yet with the wind not allowing access to the spots I want to go.

Stopped by the South Marina, the inlet channel has water flowing down the baffles today, ugly brown water. The gates to the South Marina are now open and one fellow was just loading his boat up.

All in all, just nice to be out.

FWIW
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks for the update. Good to hear that they are dumping some water into Willard.

That chocolate water is a magnet to the kitties. Back in the early 80's I used to walk out on the north dike at the south marina and chuck a bait out into the channel...when the muddy water was pouring in. That was in the days before shad and wipers and the cats got much bigger.

This is a pic of a 9 pounder I caught in mid February one year.

[inline "WILLARD SPRING (2).jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I was somewhat fished out by the time I made it to the South Marina but the conditions there appeared more calm and desirable for fishing.

Noticed that the water level was pretty low in the inlet canal near 1875 N. in Farr West but that it appeared full at 12th St so I hope they start dumping more water in asap.

AllFish
[signature]
I just got back from checking out the conditions there, think I'll take the boat out tomorrow, if it isn't raining too bad. From what I observed the water level has not come up any, since last Fall but it was good to see the water coming down the baffles, even if it was muddy. On another note they installed a pit toilet and a small parking lot in the camp ground of the south marina. The park ranger told me they were going put one in, glad to see they got it done. It is located at the back of the camp ground, where the stairs go up to the top of the dike.
[signature]
Weber basin finish up with the work on the canal last week and are putting water back in. I too was out this week and it is way low, but I was bow fishing.( canals) Ended up with three not bad for February. Let us know the water temps please.

Good luck,
Icesore
[signature]
It's not raining today but the wind is blowing and getting worse. Not sure I'll go if it continues. I was planning on fishing jigs like you would while ice fishing. We did good out from the North marina a year ago ice fishing there but with the wind howling that just won't work. If I don't get out today, I'll likely give it a try sometime during the week. When I get out I'll report back on my findings.
[signature]
Black water keep on rolling...

Um, just have to point out - that would count as "Northern Cat"

Bet they'll be hitting the windblow shores now too for winterkilled shad and such.

[Tongue]
Yea, nice Cat there Pat. Who is that young guy holding it, your son? [sly][laugh][Image: happy.gif] just kidding...... I was thinking of doing some bank tangling at WB this weekend. But had to work today, will be getting off in about 40 min. Make a run to my son's place with some stuff for him, then head home. If it isn't raining then, I might start un wrapping the TinCan. If I get far enough along today, and the weather will calm down some, just might get the bottom of the boat wet.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
"Yea, nice Cat there Pat. Who is that young guy holding it, your son?"

[#0000FF]My oldest son is now quite a bit older than I was when that picture was taken. Either that or those were the days when I was still touching up the early grey streaks.

Here's a picture of us together...from about the same time.

[inline "PAT - MIKE - AFBH.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]