Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier Creek Bay 2/8
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Hwy 40 where the truck fire damaged the road had a lane open in both directions since it was where there is a passing lane so no backed up traffic. Looked to be beautiful day, almost not a cloud in the sky, and not even the slightest breeze. Air temp 31[size 2]0[/size]. Ice was 3 inches of white ice and 9 inches of good, clear hard ice and was frozen to the edges. Started fishing @ 8-830. Started in the area of 50ft deep, fishing just off the bottom. First line down, got a slight nibble, but no taker. Continued getting the rest of our lines down. Marked fish on 3 different fish finders at varying depths but could never get them to take the various baits 6 adults and 3 kids could offer. Had a few more nibbles (just often enough to keep you from relocating) when a jaw-jacker went off – but missed. While dealing with getting it re-set up, the next nearest hole had a pole sitting on pole holder and in flash down it went – pole holder and all – gone all that was seen were bubble rising up in that hole. Try as we did we were unable to snag that pole back, it was gone. A spare pole was rigged up to take its place. After some time the group decided to move to a shallower location. We started gathering our gear when the other jaw-jacker went off – had this one all the way to the hole, patiently babied it and just as it was about to be iced – got off. A cutt, about 18-20” – so we knew we’d be releasing it, still it didn’t count – so far we were still skunked. We continued our move to a shallower location and once again began getting all the holes drills and got everyone reset up… all had signs of fish on finder – no takers… eventually we moved to another location about same depth, where we’ve had success on previous trips. Once again everyone got set up. After 30 min of no activity we moved two poles in really shallow (5 and 7 fow, about foot off the bottom). It was now close to our previously determined departure time when, once again, the jaw-jacker went off… iced that one, a 10” rainbow (which we quickly released to grow up) But we avoided that skunk! [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had a tough day on the ice for sure but I bet it was nice to get up there and enjoy the outdoors. Sounds like the catching at the Berry has really slowed down.
I had the same thing happen last year with a pole and pole holder. We were fishing at Willard and I had my rods spread out too far I guess. I looked over, saw the fish hit the rod, started heading toward it but before I could get there, zip, down the hole it went, rod holder, rod and reel, gone[Sad]. Won't be using that style of rod holder again, unless it is sitting right beside me.
[signature]
I'll preach it again: Leash it or lose it.

I NEVER have an unattended rod that isn't tied to something. Either to my kayak on soft water, or to something too big to fit down the hole on ice.
[signature]
It was pretty close but we were so focused on the possibility of finally catching one on the other pole that even if it was right beside us we wouldn't have seen it until it was too late. All we saw were the rising bubbles after it disappeared under the water.

Mom used to always say, live and learn. We lived and we learned - won't happen again you can bet on that!

Still it was a beautiful no coats needed, no crowds, kind of day with good friends.
[signature]
Yea, being with good friends is what it is all about, catching fish is just a bonus. Fishing poles come and go but like you said it was a good listen learned, if it has never happened to you before, there is a good chance it will happen sooner or later[Wink].
[signature]