Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon boat and???
I am mostly a stream fisherman...but....I am going to purchase a pontoon this spring. I used to fish out of a belly boat years ago but have forgotten what set up I used. I will be fishing lakes in the Boulders, 1000 lake mountains, Kolob, and etc... What should I be using for a set up??? I have 4 wt and 6 wt outfits but unsure what line and etc...I will need. Any suggestions??
[signature]
On my pontoon I usually use a type 3 sinking line on my 4 weight rod. I think it's a good starting point. Just count down until you find the correct depth (unless you have a fish finder) There have been days on different bodies of waters where a floating line worked better than a sinking line did.

Just my .02 cents, I'm sure others will chime in as well!
[signature]
your 4 or 6 wt with floating line slip rig fishing will be perfect
[signature]
Yea buddy. 30' leader (when I say leader, I mean 30 feet of regular mono or fluoro in weight of choice) Hook the leader right to the floating line and use a slip indicator. Best thing is to clip hemostats to the end of the leader, and drop it straight down. Once you hit the bottom, lift up a foot and set indicator. You can add tags at different lengths and attach 3 flies ex: bottom, 2 to 3 feet up, then 2 to 3 feet up from that.

OR, get a Type VII line.

My primary fishing is stillwater. I recommend an Intermediate, a Type III and a Type VII to make it easy, but you can be quite successful with a floating and different length leaders.

Good luck.
[signature]
My primary fishing is stillwater. I recommend an Intermediate, a Type III and a Type VII to make it easy, but you can be quite successful with a floating and different length leaders.

I second that!

I would take both rods and string one with a floating line and one with a sinking line. The most versatile sinking line is a type 3.
The same dry fly line you use on rivers will work on lakes. Oh and try stripping soft hackles during a hatch if you can't find a dry they''ll hit. I have even stripped a chironomid and got hits on that. Just cast it out even on a type 3 sinking line (but a floating line will work better most of the time) and strip it in.
[signature]