Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/7 Strawberry Report. On fire....
Well...at least Daniels Canyon on the way to Strawberry was on fire. That set back our fishing expedition quite a while. While the canyon was down we hung out in Heber and stimulated the local economy a little by stopping for breakfast.

Instead of making it out onto the ice by sunrise it was around 10:30 AM by the time we were drilling holes and setting up on the Chicken Creek area of the Berry. The ice was good and solid;anywhere from 10-12" thick. Our group of six fisherman spread out and started trying different depths and different lures and baits. We were getting nothing in 15-20 FOW and so we gradually moved deeper. Once we made it out to 25-35 ft. we started marking fish and got the occasional nibble.

The group's first fish was caught in about 25 FOW, on a jig tipped with sucker meat. That same fisherman caught 3-4 fish (I can't remember) and they were all on sucker meat or garlic Powerbait tipped jigs or Kastmasters.

My first fish came around 12:30. I was in 35 FOW and the fish was suspended about 20 ft. Since it had been really slow we had been trying all sorts of crazy stuff. I caught this fish on a ratfinkee tipped with Berkley Gulp corn flavored nuggets that was on a dropper 12" below a 5" hyper-plaid kokanee trolling dodger. Weird to do through the ice, but it caught something. I also got a few more good hits on the same setup but could not get a good hookup.

Half of the group had to leave early and so my cousin, a buddy and I decided to go further down the shoreline and punch some more holes. We were fishing between 18 - 25 FOW. I had a few investigators hit a jigging rapala tipped with sucker, but none that wanted to come to the surface. My cousin set up his fish finder in the tent and he started marking fish around sundown. He started jigging a white paddle bug tipped with the corn-flavored Gulp. Bam! I wouldn't say it was then "on like Donkey Kong" but compared to the slowness of the rest of the day it was pretty good. I caught two more on a white paddle bug with the Gulp corn nuggets. My biggest was a slot limit 19-incher that was pretty colorful.

Between 5:00 - 7:30 pm my cousin caught nine, one of which we think was a cuttbow (take a look and chime in). My buddy caught seven and I caught three. I missed plenty of opportunities for setting the hook or else I could have been closer to them in the final tally.

Of these 19 fish, only two were caught on sucker meat; the rest were caught on corn flavored Berkeley Gulp. At least 11 of the 19 were caught on white paddle bugs tipped with the Gulp. I still had a second pole in the water tipped at times with sucker, shrimp, spikes, waxies, mealies, etc. but no takers. After sunset they were coming in to aggressive jigging either right on the bottom or suspended at about 10 ft. The bite was not that light after dark.

All in all, corn-flavored Gulp saved the day and I give it the MVP of this fishing trip.

(After reading all of the responses to KC5's post on Strawberry's good old days I noticed some people talking about flinging corn in their younger years. Corn is illegal now, but a corn flavored/scented/shaped Berkeley bait might be worth a try.)
[signature]
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Nice report and pics , I'd say that fish you have labeled as a cuttbow is a bow imo. From the shape of the head and the color of the fins, it says bow to me, did it have a orange slash under the throat?
[signature]
Seems to me that we need fertile rainbows in order to have cuttbows. Anybody know how long it's been since non-sterile rainbows were planted in Strawberry? Is there any bows left that naturally reproduce? I would think any cuttbows that might be left in Strawberry would be considerably larger than the pictured specimen.
[signature]
Good point, although there could be a very small percent of rainbows that are still spawning from the spockings years ago of non-sterile bows, I agree it is not likely.
[signature]
No jaw slashing that I could see, but the guidebook says cutthroat markings, including those markings other than jaw slashes. It was after dark and we only had our LED headlamps. In that light the fins looked more orange like the cutts we'd been catching. Since it was near the lower end of the slot limit we didn't want to keep it out of the water too long trying to find a brighter light to ID it. This was the only fish of the day that wasn't immediately identifiable as a slot limit cutthroat.

Wiperhunter, your ID is most likely correct. I don't think my cousin was planning on keeping it anyway, even if it had a rosy gill plate and crimson stripe down the side.
[signature]
[quote Hazzy_Hazbourne] In that light the fins looked more [#FF8000]orange[/#FF8000] like the cutts we'd been catching. [/quote]

The lighting isn't the greatest, but the pelvic and anal fins look orange to me. That would make it a cutt. Remember that the spotting on BL cutts is extremely variable, from almost no spots, to highly spotted.
[signature]
Let frist start by saying LIFE FINDS AWAY with all the tigers we have all seen come out we know they are coming in from some where. now explain this fish [inline 10405852_889568131069877_1787732109_n.jpg]
[signature]
We've seen the pic before, but which fish do you want explained? (Nice slot busters BTW.)

As for if there are cuttbows in Strawberry, I was told by a DWR employee, (I can't remember who) that they did have one jizzing fertile male rainbow come through the fish traps one year when they collect cutt eggs. That one was promptly harvested, but it at least makes it a possibility there are others and thus cuttbow offspring if they spawn naturally. It is a very remote one however.
[signature]
What's to explain. Two cutts and a bow.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
thats what i thought when i caught them but better look at the midde fish it has cut markings on it also was told it was possible a down for current creek just like the tigers and another strain of cut other then the bear lake
[signature]
Nope. Middle fish is a male rainbow. Lots of rainbows have the slash marks.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
that's what I thought also if it would not have been a fishing game biologist that told me different
[signature]
Wyoming recently changed the law and we can use corn now...

Wonder if Utah will follow suit. I guess a lot of the science behind corn being bad for fish was bunk.
[signature]
No. Because the ban isn't about whether corn is bad for fish. It isn't. It's bad for water quality when people toss it in the water by the case for chum. And that's exactly what used to happen.

[signature]
The shape of the head I am going with Rainbow as well. But according to the fin color and this picture it very well could be a cutt.
[url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/cutthroattrout.php"]http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/...h/cutthroattrout.php[/url]
[signature]
Fish cop, or fish biologist?

Still going with rainbow unless he did a necropsy. Gray fins. It's a bow.

[signature]
Bio I know him
[signature]
Do you care to share with us what criteria he used to come to that conclusion? Did it have basibranchial teeth?

I agree with Fishrmn FWIW. Pelvic and anal fins like a rainbow, overall coloration like a rainbow. Rainbows also have variable spotting, so I don't accept that the spotting near the tail was why that call can be made. It also appears from the pic to have a well spotted top of head. (rainbow trait)

It would be interesting to hear an opinion from some of the DWR personnel that show up on BFT from time to time.
[signature]
Hay im with ya I kept it calling it a bow put a picture up on here had people telling me I kept a cut out of the slot I said it was a bow ask him showed him the pictures and was told its hard to tell from just the pictures but looks like a cross between
[signature]