Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4WT under $100
I am in the market for a bargain 4 wt. I LOVE my TFO BVK 5 wt but I feel like it's a little heavy handed for delicate dry presentation. Plus I am toying with the idea of packing two rods on some of my outings. One rigged for streamers and heavy nymph rigs and the other for drys. I already have a 4 wt reel and line so I am just in the market for an inexpensive but quality rod. Here is what I have found:

Echo solo 8'6" 3 piece for $70
Cabelas TLR 9' 4 piece for $98
Ross Essence FS 8'6" 4 piece for $67.50
Ross Essence FC 8'6" 4 piece for $90
Allen Compass 8'6" 4 piece for $99
Rise Fishing Co. 9' 4 piece for $100

I know that the Allen has great reviews on this site. My buddy has a Cabelas rod that I fished last summer and liked pretty well. My Dad has a Ross FC and loves it. Anyone have any strong persuasions or warnings about these rods? Or maybe some others that I haven't found?
[signature]
Spend $10 extra and get a St. Croix Rio Santo 8' 2 pc. at Cabelas. Great rod for the $$$.
[signature]
Redington CT. On sale $125 at cabelas but previous sales less than $100. Or check ebay.
Those other rods are a bit heavy for my taste.
[signature]
Not too heavy for a grown man though [Tongue][Tongue][Tongue] I kid, I kid
[signature]
I was "grown" but worked my tail off and lost 10 lbs. Now my BMI is 24. I just don't have your leverage anymore[Tongue]. For the price Redington are some pretty lightweight and well performing rods. A step above the others under $200. And a real bargain when they occasionally come up at $100.
[signature]
Eagle claw featherlight 3/4 wt like 25-30$ at sportmans great rod! Also cabelas new cgr Which is a tad over 100$!
[signature]
Thanks for all the info guys. I checked into all of the options that you gave me and finally decided on a Cablea's rod. I went back onto their website to look at the TLR again and it was no longer available. But then I did find a 9' Traditional III for $75 on clearance so I jumped on it. I will let you guys know how it performs when I pick it up next week.

Thanks again!
[signature]
Make it work, easy to do, no wrong answer, just different taste.
[signature]
How did nobody mention an allen compass!?
[signature]
Lech did [Smile] Great rod. I have a 5wt Compass.
[signature]
Update - If any of you are interested I got my Cabelas Traditional III a few weeks ago and I have been fishing it pretty consistently. Then yesterday when I was out fishing with my sons the top section of the rod broke off right at one of the guides. I really did like the rod although I felt like it was quite heavy compared to my BVK 5WT. But the action was okay and it did what I told it to for the most part. Anyway, lesson learned and I packed it up and shipped it back to Cabelas for a refund this morning. Last night I ordered an Allen 8'6" 4WT. Looking back I shouldn't have been splitting hairs on cost. The Cabelas set me back about $82 bucks and with a promo code on the Allen website I got the Compass for like $98 with tax and shipping included. No brainer, but for some reason I didn't have my sense about me on the first go around. Based on the reviews on this website of the Allen rods I think I may have found my bargain 4WT.
[signature]
They will be at the Wasatch Fly Tying Expo in person.
[signature]
You won't regret it! I have two compass rods and I love them... The warranty and service from those guys are great too. I had a rod snap on a fish and i sent them an email, and no money out of pocket and 4 days later i had a new tip section! I also bought and allen trout 2 reel and was blown away at the quality of that reel for $150
[signature]
Glad to hear it! I am pumped to go try it out. I check the tracking number on that bad boy twice a day. I bought a trout II last year and I LOVE it! looks great and I have already gone down in the rocks reel first a few times and I has held up perfectly. .
[signature]