Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Springtime Bows!
Another wonderful ice-off trip to a little local lake. They were loving the bh crystal buggers with snowcone droppers! Got to love this time of year!
[inline "2015-02-16 20.38.00.jpg"]
[signature]
That fish is a hog! Thanks for the photo. Makes me want to get out for some ice off fishing myself.
[signature]
Greats fish. Looks like a good time.
[signature]
Yowza!!! very nice [Smile]
[signature]
thanks guys...he put up a worthy fight! Hope to get back out there this weekend. Can't wait! Here's a few more pics from that trip:
[inline ATT_1424317404763_20150213_110428-1.jpg][inline 20150216_101356.jpg][inline 20150216_101504.jpg]
[signature]
Looks the weather is finally going to stabilize up at OC this weekend...I'll take some pics! [sly]
[signature]
If that ain't a pay-to-play, I'm impressed!
Nice dang 'bow!
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1]If that ain't a pay-to-play, I'm impressed!
Nice dang 'bow![/quote]

Public water...but I did have to pay my park fee. [Wink]
[signature]
Ahhhh...one of my favorite waters! I can't wait until the weather warms and some of the other fish in that reservoir start biting. I love catching the trifecta of species out of there all on my fly rod...!

Nice catch, by the way....did you measure him? How did the water level look? Are we getting anywhere near a full pool out there? Water seems to be a big factor for the success of that fishery...we need to get that thing filled!
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]Ahhhh...one of my favorite waters! I can't wait until the weather warms and some of the other fish in that reservoir start biting. I love catching the trifecta of species out of there all on my fly rod...!

Nice catch, by the way....did you measure him? How did the water level look? Are we getting anywhere near a full pool out there? Water seems to be a big factor for the success of that fishery...we need to get that thing filled![/quote]

Yes I did...he measured 26.2" length, 18.9" girth. Water is lower this year then last unfortunately...hoping that the recent snow fall will help.
[signature]
Never thought I'd be begging for a breeze, but the water was soooo flat the other day! In my experience nymphing lakes, a little chop on the water makes all the difference. Anyways, started off the day with 1 degree air Temps (brrrr) and blue bird skies. I could immediately tell that the bow run was at its end. Didn't see them cruising and none were jumping along the bank as usual. Started fishing with the usual set up...bugger and a cronomid. Caught 2 before 111am, one dink around 2 lbs and one average closer to 4lbs. The Temps warmed into the mid 40's by then, and a midge hatch came on...still not much action going on. Set the hook on one fish that felt really nice for a second, but snap! Right at my thingamabobber...dang it! I knew I should have completely re-rigged from my last trip (it was just too darn cold though). Flat water all day until we left...ended up only catching four more, with nothing huge. I guess the 2015 run is done...time to focus on SH bass now!
[signature]
Not even! OC doesn't get going 'till mid March!
[signature]
The ice usually doesn't come off OC until early March, but with the unusually warm weather this year, it came off a month earlier.
[signature]
[quote richyd4u]The ice usually doesn't come off OC until early March, but with the unusually warm weather this year, it came off a month earlier.[/quote]I know, I was just hoping that O.C. would still experience a normal "ice-off" hot fishing period like it normally does. I have had some phenomenal days at O.C. in early March. Not really a numbers guy, but just to show realization of how good it can be I kept count. 86 rainbows and 2 browns in about 7 hours of fishing. I was kind of cheating though. I throw marabou jigs.
I will readily admit though, I didn't catch an oinker like the one you did!!
[signature]
Nah that ain't cheatin, maybe if you were using live minnows ha ha. When's boulder gonna be ready to fish?
[signature]
Not sure this year. Seems like that's one of the few (thankfully) areas with ample snowfall this season. I'm thinking mid May for the lower lakes (9,300') and late May- mid June for the top (10,000- 11,000').
[signature]
Well we should go do some catchin together sometime this year!
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1][quote richyd4u]The ice usually doesn't come off OC until early March, but with the unusually warm weather this year, it came off a month earlier.[/quote]I know, I was just hoping that O.C. would still experience a normal "ice-off" hot fishing period like it normally does. I have had some phenomenal days at O.C. in early March. Not really a numbers guy, but just to show realization of how good it can be I kept count. 86 rainbows and 2 browns in about 7 hours of fishing. I was kind of cheating though. I throw marabou jigs.
I will readily admit though, I didn't catch an oinker like the one you did!![/quote]

Me too...early March is usually right when the ice has come off, so it is usually the best. We hit it just right this year in mid February when the ice had JUST come off...man was it good. Our last trip didn't show any signs that the big ones were still around though. We still managed a few nice fish, but not the numbers or hawgs that we usually catch closer to ice-off. I might venture back over there sometime soon and bring my pontoon to try stripping some bugger and leeches...but if the bass get going on SH this next week, I may not! LOL [Wink]
[signature]