Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen Fly Fishing
Hi all, I just got done talking to Justin from AFF. Looks like he wants to be a sponsor here at BFT. That means site discounts and latest news. This is a good thing and hope it pans out.
Also, coming soon to the AFF, GLASS yup glass rods and to go with that a new Click / Pawl reel.
Let's hope this happens and welcome the guys with open arms.
[signature]
I haven't jumped on the Allen bandwagon yet, but glass and click/pawl will get my attention! Hope the reels have a classic look to them that go with glass/boo.
[signature]
I really like the proto type, but I am not sure it is the classic look. It will be going on my boo however.
[signature]
Sign me up for a glass rod!! Do you know when it will be available?
[signature]
May-ish
[signature]
Joni,

I'm w/ Jim in that I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet. Do you have a pic of the click-prawl prototype?
[signature]
I like the click pawl for my ultralight rods. I have the TFO BVK 0 and the newer Orvis Battenkill 1. But I fish those where trout tend to top out at 18 inches or less. Does anyone prefer the click and pawl for bigger harder fighting fish? Just seems to me that a good drag is essential once trout get a bit bigger in moving water. Maybe I just don't know how to use the click and pawl properly with bigger fish.
So is Allen's click and pawl going to be machined aluminum and made in the U.S.?
[signature]
Here is what I have seen. I do have a couple proto types that did change slightly when hitting the market, but this one looks pretty good
[Image: 10981617_10203772508655748_3789133171403...sya26y.jpg]

[Image: 10998030_10203772542016582_5079386225481...hstxoy.jpg]

As for origin, many of the AFF product is now being made here in the USA. I don't know as of yet on these reel and rods.
[signature]
[quote riverdog] I fish those where trout tend to top out at 18 inches or less. Does anyone prefer the click and pawl for bigger harder fighting fish? Just seems to me that a good drag is essential once trout get a bit bigger in moving water. Maybe I just don't know how to use the click and pawl properly with bigger fish.[/quote]

I use Hardy Featherweights, Martin 67's and a Young Pridex on the biggest rivers in MT and Idaho with trout up to 24". Regardless of fish size, I still only need a minimal amount of drag with 3x-6x tippets and #12 and smaller hooks. The click and pawl is plenty, and I usually fish with them in the "off" or "light" position. I just pinch the line a little if I need to try and stop a fish.

I caught some 10lb. Tarpon with a 7wt and a Young Beaudex click/pawl reel in Mexico. Such a sweet sound echoing off the mangroves!

I just like the simplicity, feel, and sound of a click and pawl. "Tuna cans" as some call them.
[signature]
Hopefully my next fly rod will be from Allen. I just wish they would make the compass in a 2 pc. Never liked a 4 pc fly rod. It doesn't feel the same as a 2 pc.
[signature]
Then you are better than me, cause I can't tell a two from a three, four, five, etc piece rod with the way they connect these days. Maybe you have problem lining them up?
[signature]
I have heard that before, but I sure can't tell the difference regardless of how many pieces.
[signature]
I know, right. I guess more pieces will make it a little different action. I have a 7' four piece four weight Trout Bum and hubby has the 2 piece 7' four weight. Both Superfines, but the four piece is a tad faster. Same with the Battenkill compared to the Penns Creek Bamboo.
[signature]
It's just the feel in the bend of the rod is really different for me. In my opinion a 2 pc fly rod has a better bend than a 4 pc.
[signature]