Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the market for another rod....
I have a sage approach 690-4 that I'd sell ha, bought it in June and it is a great rod, just looking for a 7 wt.
[signature]
I own two Whispercreeks - a 9' 4# and a 9' 5#. These are more moderate action rods made for closer dry fly fishing that lays a line down nicely up to 60 feet. The action on these rods doesn't give them the power that other GLX (and NRX) have. If you are looking for a good dry fly rod, the Whispercreeks are great.

I don't own any Pro4X rods but have thrown them. The tip is built with the same material as the NRX and the rest of the rod is (I believe) GL3 material. It uses the NRX taper so it is made to be a powerhouse. Its slightly heavier than the NRX and pretty stiff. Having said that, it fits my casting stroke pretty well. I was able to hit the plate more often than not from 70/80 feet while casting the 5wt. It would make for more of an all around round (dry, nymph, smaller streamers - not Galloup's stuff) than the Whispercreek but just for pure casting enjoyment, I like the Whispercreek more.

So: tl;dr:

Whispercreek (GLX): Great dry fly rods - think slightly faster BIIX.

Pro4X (NRX/GL3): Good all around rods - particularly at price.
[signature]
Also, if anyone is interested, I've got a Winston GVX 6wt that I just don't fish (I generally fish a Winston BIIIX) and could be persuaded to sell. The GVX is graphite and built on the BIIX taper.
[signature]
[quote DrewT]I own two Whispercreeks - a 9' 4# and a 9' 5#. These are more moderate action rods made for closer dry fly fishing that lays a line down nicely up to 60 feet. The action on these rods doesn't give them the power that other GLX (and NRX) have. If you are looking for a good dry fly rod, the Whispercreeks are great.

I don't own any Pro4X rods but have thrown them. The tip is built with the same material as the NRX and the rest of the rod is (I believe) GL3 material. It uses the NRX taper so it is made to be a powerhouse. Its slightly heavier than the NRX and pretty stiff. Having said that, it fits my casting stroke pretty well. I was able to hit the plate more often than not from 70/80 feet while casting the 5wt. It would make for more of an all around round (dry, nymph, smaller streamers - not Galloup's stuff) than the Whispercreek but just for pure casting enjoyment, I like the Whispercreek more.

Pro4X (NRX/GL3): Good all around rods - particularly at price.[/quote]

Thanks drew, I am looking for a rod that will be used mainly for dries on the blacksmith, ogden, and the weber. Like you said I think the pro 4x is more versatile, which I love, but I've heard nothing but good things about the whisper creeks. I do think they are about to be discontinued but that doesn't bother me, that being said I might just wait for an even better deal on a whispercreek. Unless you want to give me a deal on one of yours? Wink But I think I'll hold out for now and see if anything great comes along on ksl or ebay.
[signature]
[quote DrewT]I own two Whispercreeks - a 9' 4# and a 9' 5#. These are more moderate action rods made for closer dry fly fishing that lays a line down nicely up to 60 feet. The action on these rods doesn't give them the power that other GLX (and NRX) have. If you are looking for a good dry fly rod, the Whispercreeks are great.

Pro4X (NRX/GL3): Good all around rods - particularly at price.[/quote]

I'm looking at either a 3 or 4 wt in a 8 ft or shorter in length preferably, just long enough for bigger rivers but still compact for smaller ones and streams. Or is 8 ft 6 inch rod still alright for say the blacksmith or ogden? Thanks!
[signature]
To me, the Ogden and BS are very similar (small and overgrown with smallish fish that are pretty willing to eat a dry) and the Weber is very different (larger fish, a bigger and more turbid river, and fewer hatches). I never fish nymphs on the first two (just my preference) and now almost exclusively fish shorter (6.5' to 7.5') fiberglass rods on them. Fiberglass seems to load easier at short distances and I personally wouldn't want anything longer than 8' on those two. On the Weber, I exclusively fish 9'-10' rods because so much of my fishing is high sticking/Czech/short line nymphing, that I want that extra length.
[signature]
BECAUSE of the title of this post, I really wanted to throw one more in the mix. Got home yesterday and there on my front porch was a box and a tube. Allen Flyfishing sling and the new Volant 9' 6 wt. Soooo, I took a walk to the river to check it out and FIRST CAST!
[Image: IMG_2487_zpsn0jtcksz.jpg]

It is a medium taper but very nice flick to the tip. I am able to roll cast 40 to 50 feet with no effort.
[signature]
I ended up getting a Grey's GS 9' 6 wt. We'll see how it does.
[signature]
Greys are good.
[Image: IMG_2326.jpg]
[signature]