Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Outdoor Expo
The wife and I attended the Expo yesterday and it seems to be getting smaller the last few years. I enjoy looking at the taxidermy competition entries, I guess they didn't have one this year. Seemed to be a lot of empty space on the floor this year, other than validating entries for the limited entry hunts I doubt if we will be attending the expo next year. I'm hoping the Expo at the South Town next month will be better.
[signature]
Validating LE Tags and entering tag drawings, is all I do at the expos.

It works for me.
[signature]
I am not a fan of Western Outdoor Expo (that was just held last weekend). However, the International Sportsman's Expo is much nicer with a lot more to see and do. The info you get from just going to the presentations alone are worth the price of admission.
[signature]
The main reason we go down is to get our applications validated for the hunts, and like I said I like to see the talent of some of the taxidermists in our area.
[signature]
We went to it on Friday afternoon and had a great time. My wife and I and our 2 kids had a lot of fun. The kids got to shoot bows and airguns, talk to the DWR, Unified police and the leave no trace folks all as part of a kids passport. Thought it was good for them. I enjoyed the heck out of catching up with some of my old compadres from my guiding years. The vendors were great and we got to meet Will and Jimmy Primos. They were as awesome in real life as they are on video. The both were gracious and really took an interest in the kids, Signing both of their turkey box calls and gave them their newest video release. I liked the taxidermy competition in years past but not sure why it wasn't there this year. I can only imagine that the cost to rent that large of a space was extremely high. Back in the day when it first got started a 10 by 10 booth was $1500. We attended for 1 year and did book a few hunts but decided not to have a booth again. I do like the large isles at the western hunting expo much better than the ISE show at south town. I always feel like I am stuck in a herd of sheep at the ISE show.

On a side note, what has anyone heard about the Big Outdoors Expo in Utah county that is coming up? I caught part of a blurb on the radio the other day but didn't get much info.
[signature]
I stopped attending the expo after seeing quite a few drawings being won by other exhibitors at the show. It seemed to me (though I could not prove anything) that there was a lot of you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours going on. Followed by a lot of items for sale on ksl.com saying "won it at the expo and I don't need it".

Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
My bride and I attended, validated my tag entries, dropped some big money on some new Bino's and headed out. not as good as years past. I did enjoy the taxidermy entries that were there in years past.I think its a good question for the Mule deer federation folks who sponsor the event and see what they say. I think if folks share their frustrations and that they miss these things, maybe,just maybe they will listen. There all about the big money which comes from the tag sales.

I know booth cost is way expensive and I know that most vendors have a limited budget for shows. Many of the folks at this show will not be at the ISE show.I know many vendors i talked with said that they were going to be at other places or this was it for them.

I heard some crazy numbers for what the state tags were auctioned off for. they sold a mule to ride for 18,000 , Arizona state wide deer tag for 320,000 dollars, Utah state wide deer, 220,000 dollars. This just blows my mind that there are people out there paying money like this.

I feel crazy spending 580.00 dollars for a Montana deer combo.

its all about the Big Money baby.......
[signature]
We will be headed down to the ISE show on the 13th, may see you there, be looking for some new kokanee gear, our trailer will be over at the Gorge all summer looking forward to some good koke fishing.
[signature]
Sounds good Pete, will see you there.
[signature]