Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mona Reservoir
I wondered if there are any fish and iiwhat species are in Mona Reservoir in Juab county? I have asked around and can't an answer even from fish cops! At one point I was told that the DNR wanted to use it for a June Sucker Nursery. Any input would be appreciated.
[signature]
I was told there was white bass in it once.
[signature]
I think it is barren now, maybe Carp?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Over the years it has been a dumping ground...legal and illegal...for many species. Some have survived to some extent. Others not so much.

It has seen trout, of course, and largemouth bass. There were also white bass and walleyes and may still be a few. There were good numbers of largemouth until the locals discovered they could catch them on crawlers and that there was little risk if they kept a cooler full.

In recent years DWR has planted some June Suckers to see if they could make it there. Have not heard any feedback on survey results.

There is almost always something to catch but since it gets fished little by knowledgeable and sharing anglers we don't get reports. Might be worth a try as the water warms up this spring. Just might be some bigguns of one species or another. Even if it is only a carp.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I used to fish there occasionally with my buddies when I was a teenager. There were mostly carp and mudcats in there. There are also a few largemouth bass, a very rare few trout that get washed out of Burraston ponds, and I've heard tell there are a few walleye too (unconfirmed).

Yes, the lake holds a reserve population of June suckers in it as well.
[signature]
What TD and Doggone said. Some of the best carp shooting in the state to be had in the outlet stream, Did I really say that !!!! Best fishing is on the Northwest shore line. Have to walk across the dam and work along the lava flows on the NW side. There are also SMB in there. Biggest problem is that the water users have all the water in there, so it gets drained pretty much most years for irrigation.
Carp, June Sucker. You'd have to be a sucker to fish it.
[signature]
Therapy-- "Some of the best carp shooting in the state to be found in the outlet stream...."?? That would be the stream running down Goshen Canyon right? Surely you jest?? Did you really say that?

Agree on carp, smb, lmb, and junnies, with an occasional wally and rainbow but I have never seen carp in the stream. Good place to find arrowheads and I have found some purty ones down there but... tell me more about this carp hot spot.

BLK
[signature]
Mostly, what we found while going down that creek from the dam was rattlesnakes.
[signature]
Many, many moons ago I saw lots of carp in that stream below Mona Reservoir.
[signature]
Last fall the birds took over that res. and looked white for the birds till ice up.. but it is used for June suckers now when it has water in it.. you could walk across it last fall and not get your feet wet ..
good luck fishing..
[signature]
I fished Mona today and caught a couple of carp among others. You can add white bass and perch to the list of fish found in Mona.

Nice day, probably the last one for a while.

BLK
[signature]
That is good to know.[Smile] What was the over all depth of the res?
[signature]
Albino-- The water at Mona was way low, probably rising but still low. Guess it is just like all the other irrigation storage waters with this dry winter we are having. Hopefully the coming storms will help. Mona will probably be reduced to a small stream after the summer draw-down for irrigation if we don't get some significant snow .. soon..

BLK
[signature]
Wow ok I would hope we get some water soon as well.
[signature]
I just got the info from the DWR that I requested back in February when this thread was started. This is what they said is in there officially.

Hi Kevin,
Largemouth bass, yellow perch, sunfish, Utah chub and June sucker are the primary fish present in Mona Reservoir. Hope this helps, Mike

--
Mike Slater
Regional Aquatic Program Manager
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

[signature]