Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha jet boats?
Does anybody have or know someone using a Yamaha jet on cj or brownlee? How often do you have to use the cleanout plugs?
I'm seriously considering one just for the benefit of early season and late season fishing without the concerns of winterization..
[signature]
I would guess your referring to the self draining capabilities ? Not quite the same boat but a buddy has a alumaweld striker with the mercury sport jet and doesn't have any problems, I mean you keep an eye out and dont blaze across the moss beds. Plan for longer time at the ramps as it takes sometimes up to 30 min for the boat to come unfroze from the trailer.
[signature]
Are you saying they don't power on and off gthe trailer well. I have never had a problem getting my trailer in far enough to float the boat off or on easily..
[signature]
I'm not sure what you mean by draining the plugs. I run a Willie with a sportjet (center console) and frequent CJ and different rivers through out the winter.

My approach to winterization is to use the boat as much as I can all winterSmile

On occassion when it is super cold out I have to let the boat idle at the ramp for about 10 minutes if the forward/reverse is frozen and/or the steering. All it requires is a little patience.

Hope that helps...
[signature]
By cleaning out the plugs, I was referring to the neat impeller cleanout plugs that the Yamaha boats have. Wasn't sure if the Yamaha were as susceptible to twigs and junk stopping them cold and requiring a cleanout..
[signature]
I see. There has been times I wish I had a stomp grate for the sport jet. Only a couple times on CJ and usually in the heart of summer when the moss is thick.

I have a fold-able rake that folds into a 90 degree position where I can reach under from the back of the boat and clear the intake grate when necessary.
[signature]
Sorry I wasn't more clear When using them in below freezing temperatures and a couple days in a row they will freeze to the bunks as well as steering , Just takes a little time soaking before you can get underway. A lot of times its not what get stuck in the pumps its the intake. Im dont know the design but with our custom weld it had a clean out on the pump witch came in handy for the reeds and small sticks but the intake either had to be cleaned by hand or with a moss rake and 90 percent of the problem was there. Its funny how such a tiny stick or moss can shut down a 400 hp boat
[signature]