Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hummingbird vs lorwance
Be warned. I have a terrova trolling motor and I am not happy with the transducer operation with my hummingbird.
[signature]
Please explain the one fish symbol.
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]Be warned. I have a terrova trolling motor and I am not happy with the transducer operation with my hummingbird.[/quote]

You only get 2D out of it anyways. Just add a normal Humminbird transducer to the TM and be waaaaay happier (I have a ton of pictures of how to do this irt the transducer cable routing that makes it super clean if anyone wants (one does have to take apart there Terrova to do this). What I did with my Terrova... Also one is better off with a Humminbird transducer built/designed to mount to a TM over a transom model with an adapter. The ones specifically built for TM use have some form of extra shielding and work mucho better... I know! Been there done that years ago.

If the lake bottom is hard and if you are also using a dash unit/tansom transducer you will get interference because both are pinging on the same frequencies. I always set my dash unit to standby when I go up on the bow. 798 Si on the bow and 898 Si on the dash ethernet connected.

The fish symbols option on the Humminbird units have a setting of how picky one wants the unit to be. 1-10 sensitivity settings. More than likely he had it set on the default of 5 thus the semi clean screen.
[signature]
Yes, I understand how it works when looking at stacked fish but it still means there are a lot of fish is a relatively small area. My question is what is the deal with the one fish ID symbol I circled in the attached pic? I don't understand why they all don't have the depth on them. In my experience you either get all fish with the depth and fish ID symbol or none with the Fish ID symbol but not both.
[signature]
I'm going to mount the humminbird transducer on the trolling motor. The transducer that came with the terrova just doesn't cut it. It doesn't seem to effect the. 798si on the dash. I've trying turning off one and it didn't improve a thing. On my motor guide with a humminbird transducer everything worked great. Don't know about lowerance.
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]
The fish symbols option on the Humminbird units have a setting of how picky one wants the unit to be. 1-10 sensitivity settings. More than likely he had it set on the default of 5 thus the semi clean screen.[/quote]

So you are saying you can select to have both on one view, either a lot of Fish ID symbols or none, is that correct Tom?
[signature]
More than likely one isn't see a ton of fish symbols since they are all crammed together and the unit isn't breaking them up as being individual fish. It might be thinking that as more of a brush/rocks/ground.

Some old picture from Panguitch I found I had uploaded.

The orance fish are directly under the boat and are being captured by the tighter 200khz cone. The blue fish are off to the sides of the boat and being captured on the wider 83khz cone. From the looks of this screen shot I had the sensitivity backed waaaay off from where it should of been.

[Image: PanguitchLake%2026-29June2012_066.PNG]
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2][quote wolfs4evr]
The fish symbols option on the Humminbird units have a setting of how picky one wants the unit to be. 1-10 sensitivity settings. More than likely he had it set on the default of 5 thus the semi clean screen.[/quote]

So you are saying you can select to have both on one view, either a lot of Fish ID symbols or none, is that correct Tom?[/quote]

Most certainly. Pic above dictates what I think you are asking. Fish symbols can be on or off along with a fish ID audible alert set. Also size of fish can be set to alert one. Then how sentive the unit is to toss up a fish symbol can be set. I like seeing orange/blue on the same screen when one is vertical fishing. It is nice to know if the blurp down below on the screen is directly under the boat or off to the sides somewhere.

83 on one side and 200 on the other is an option screen that one has to go into advanced settings to even be turned on.

There is 3 different 2d views available on the Hummbird.

83 on one side and 200 on the other.

83/200 combo or just 200 on one screen.

Then one can do a normal view on one side and exploded bottom view on the other side. Again 83/200 combo or just 200 depending on ones settings.
[signature]
Threadfin or Gizzard shad bait ball.

[Image: LakeMead_01-18-14_001.jpg]

Striper frenzy on Lake Mead. (I caught 20-30 on this one outing as fast as I could land one and get the line back out.)

[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_009.PNG]

The B29 on the bottom of Lake Mead.

[Image: LakeMead_04-19-14_003.jpg]

Fun stuff... Technology these days.
[signature]
Well that is interesting, the old systems I've seen did not work that way. You can also select just the side and down imaging view as well, is that correct? Which just show the view of the bottom, not the 2d view.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Yes, I understand how it works when looking at stacked fish but it still means there are a lot of fish is a relatively small area. My question is what is the deal with the one fish ID symbol I circled in the attached pic? I don't understand why they all don't have the depth on them. In my experience you either get all fish with the depth and fish ID symbol or none with the Fish ID symbol but not both.[/quote]

most of the time I have the fish ID turned off. but the 998 does not show a lot of fish symbols, I don't know why. I had a humminbird 597 and it showed a lot of fish symbols,

here is a snap shapshot of all Kokes ( i know because we got a lot.)
I have 3 downriggers you can see the 3 balls and the top line is a stacker. from out side to out side the downriggers are about 15' apart.
here I don't know if I had the fish ID on are off, but when I have had it on I will get the same thing as this. a lot of the time.
the pros say don't use the fish ID.
[signature]
There has to be like 20+ views on both of mine. Up to 3 items/views on one screen (798/898). Once one goes to the Onix/119x series then one can have up to 4 items on a screen.

Map/down
Map/side
Map/2d

2d/side
2d/down
2d/down/side

down/side
down/2d

etc, etc, etc, etc

My 3 hot/programmable quick buttons are set to.

Map/2d
2d/di
2d/di/si

Of course until one spends the $$$ for a biggier screen unit it gets tough to break out what is going on below in detail when one has 3 different views on one semi small screen.
[signature]
The big item to me with Fish ID is knowing which sonar is seeing the fish on the combo 200/83Khz one screen view. Are they below me or off to the sides. 200 or 83Khz. If I am running 200 only then no reason whatsoever. To me the symbols are not a nuisuance. They are a tool than can help a pinch if ones uses them for the specific reason I noted. I can opt to look at them or at the sonar return behind them. Easy enough to turn off.
[signature]
Yea, no fish ID symbol on that pics. Makes me think the finder was just letting you know how deep some of those fish were on your Gorge pic.Did you take pic of your screen or did you record it and just took one snapshot from the recorded view?
[signature]
Yes, I can understand that and it makes sense as far as them being off to the left or right or just under the boat but unless you are planning on making several passes through that spot, it will not help you catch those fish, it is just letting you know where they are. I guess the point is that you can have more information and that helps you decide if it is worth while to make another pass, especially if there are a lot of fish off to the side.
[signature]
I just bot the Onix and only had it out one time fishing for lake trout In Feb.
I can make all the views I want. with the Onix

I moved the 998 Transduce to the front minn kota trolling motor
and the Onix is on the back.
when I have both turned I get interference. but it is somthing I can live with

I tried to get a snapshot with the Onix but it did not save (I had it turned on) Its to bad becaus it was fun seeing the lakers on it. the lakers were in line not stacked. we got 5 all over 20lbs
[signature]
Kind of off topic but the latest update from Humminbird added a "jigging" mode to several of the views that one can opt to select or not. Can't wait to give that a try. It is suppose to prioritize SI/DI/2D pings to maximize the return directly down below to help with seeing your vertical presention. At least the 898 got that update. Not sure of which ones did so far. Nothing for the 798 yet.

Quote:*Jigging Mode - this is a selection in the 2D Sonar Express Menu. It allows the user to select the sonar ping pattern for use while vertical jigging. When turned ON the ping pattern will be: 200 kHz, Left SI Beam, Right SI Beam, 83 kHz, repeat. With this mode turned OFF the ping pattern will be: 200 kHz, Left SI Beam, Right SI Beam, 83 kHz, Left SI Beam, Right SI Beam, repeat. Basically this feature prioritizes the 2D beam over the SI beam
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]Kind of off topic but the latest update from Humminbird added a "jigging" mode to several of the views that one can opt to select or not. Can't wait to give that a try. It is suppose to prioritize SI/DI/2D pings to maximize the return directly down below to help with seeing your vertical presention. At least the 898 got that update. Not sure of which ones did so far. Nothing for the 798 yet.

Quote:
*Jigging Mode - this is a selection in the 2D Sonar Express Menu. It allows the user to select the sonar ping pattern for use while vertical jigging. When turned ON the ping pattern will be: 200 kHz, Left SI Beam, Right SI Beam, 83 kHz, repeat. With this mode turned OFF the ping pattern will be: 200 kHz, Left SI Beam, Right SI Beam, 83 kHz, Left SI Beam, Right SI Beam, repeat. Basically this feature prioritizes the 2D beam over the SI beam
[/quote]

I just updated my 998 and saw that, but the date and time will not set. mabe when I put it on the boat and in the water it will set. to the fight time and date.
[signature]