Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobbs pond
Just an update

Whent fishing trying to get some early bassin. I was throwing a white jerkbait. I had a larg trout follow all the way to the bank. Also a very larg bass did the same. I also tried a spinnerbait and a jig. No success. The weather was overcast and breezy. If any body has any tips or techniques on early bass please reply.

Keep them tight boys!
[signature]
How were you fishing the crank? Sometimes just casting and retrieving will work, other times you need to work the bait. Quick pulls, pauses, yanks, will trigger strikes. If it looks like an injured fish struggling, that will bring the predators in thinking easy meal. Same with plastics. Bouncing off the bottom, dead sticking, pausing after a coue of cranks work too.
[signature]
Are you talking about the Hobbs pond in Layton? Do they have the road down to the lake open yet?

Target early bass in deeper water adjacent to spawning areas. Any kind of structure in deeper water near spawning areas will hold bass. Rocks, drop offs, isolated weed pockets, rocky points...anything that stands out from the rest of the lake. It's probably still a little too early for them to be thinking about spawning so they might be on structure in the main lake too. On really warm days like we had a couple weeks ago fish wind blown shoreline too, that's where the warmer water will be.
[signature]
Yes Hobbs pond in layton.

I just take the trail and walk down.

I was fishing the new rapala shadow jerk bait. I was twitching, jerking, pausing, and rippin. Let it sit for a while and retrieve. I think I tried all kinds of retreives. But to no avail, no bites.

I was fishing from the bank by the dam and all around as much as I could. Tried to fish laydowns and rocks, well from what I can see and reach from the bank.
[signature]
When I get follows w/out hits on cranks, I'll either downsize on the same crank and color or switch to a different color of the same crank to provoke the hit. Usually the first option of downsizing produces. Hope it helps!
[signature]
Lay downs and rocks close to shore will be a good place to find them in a couple months when the water warms up. Right now they'll be a little deeper. Water is probably still in the low to mid 40s. Try some small plastics worked slowly in the bottom too.
[signature]
I am new to Hobbs pond, i can see the bottom and it looks like there is moss/ some sewed stuff. I walked around the west half yesterday and part of the north and some of the east. The east side looks like it gets deeper much faster then the west and north. How do you find where the bass spawn if you can't see the bottom?
Don't you want to find some small kind of gravel?
[signature]
I just picked up a couple Shadow Raps and Shadow Rap Deeps. I'm anxious to give them a try.

That bait is kind of tailor made for cold water. One thing to try with jerkbaits when the water is cold is lengthening the pauses. When it's really cold I'll often pause them for more than 10 seconds between jerks. Also the bites can be very subtle this time of year. Another thing to try is not jerking the bait hard. Sometimes subtle twitches that don't move the bait much can be better. Other times more of a slow sweep or pull will do the trick when the temps are low.
[signature]
Thanks. That's good advice. I have been twitching it pretty hard. I will try to soft twitch and sweep and see it it works.
[signature]