Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refinishing Inflatable Pontoon
Was thinking I would give my inflatable pontoon boat's frame a fresh coat of paint for the new year before I start taking it out. Was thinking that I might do a polymer non-slip type of coating similar to a Rhino Lining in a truck bed. Has anyone ever done that or have any opinions on the pros and cons?

Also, do you think I could coat it directly over the powder coated steel frame or would I need to sand it down first?

Might not be the right forum for this but thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks,
DD
[signature]
Have you brought this up on the float tubing board. Many meme era there from around the country that may have an answer for you.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have never heard of anyone refinishing their frame. Is yours chipped or weathered? If not, are you merely doing a cosmetic thing?

If there are scratches or dings in the finish...of a steel frame...refinishing might help prevent rusting. But otherwise there is usually little need for it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Are you doing this because of Salt water? If you are trying to fight rust, you will need to thoroughly coat the inside as well. The frame would need to be completely dry and I would thing a sand blasting, but that textured coating will make it harder to clean as well.
[signature]
They paint truck beds before they spray that kind of stuff down so I would certainly sand it first. I think it would look cool so post some pics after you've done it. BTW I have seen entire jeeps that were "rhino lined" so do it.
[signature]
I'd be doing it primarily for cosmetic reasons if I'm honest. The frame is a few years old which means it's faded and scuffed up a bit. Not really chipping or cracking anywhere that I've noticed. Just was thinking that maybe a fresh coat of paint would make me more appealing to the fish [Tongue]

Thinking I'll go over it with some fine grit sandpaper, wash and dry it and then paint on something similar to rhino liner. Think that will work?

I'll see how I go this weekend, might not a have the patience to wait to use it!
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'm sure the bed liner paint will work fine. Tough and waterproof. Does it come in pink?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like Home-Depot has a similar type paint in pink called Rust-Oleum FlexiDip, 6 cans for $35 online...

I'll be doing a standard black finish Smile
[signature]
[#0000FF]Just kidding. No frame on my Fat Cat tube. And my wife would get suspicious if I decorated with pink. Would either attract attention from the ladies...or the wrong kind of guys.

But I did do a shark deco job on a tube in the past.

[inline "TD SHARK TUBE.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The Rino liner stuff is very rough. I would be worried that the constant movement between the tube and the frame would wear on the tube and make a hole in time. A smooth surface in my opinion would be a better way to go. Ron
[signature]
Please tell me how you applied that fabric decoration!
Ive always wanted the shark mouth motif on SOMETHING!

As for refinishing - why not? You can coat anything, given good prep work.

Sanding away rust and scale? Definitely.

Primer? You betcha.

Truck bed liner? No different than any other coating as far as prep. I prefer paint, becasue when bed liner does breach and rust forms underneath - its the Dickens to deal with. Did someone say subsurface creep?

And Ive come to like glossy finishes these days. I used to paint everything flat, but find I like a little spit and polish now. Good quality rattle cans will provide that and future touch up is easy. [Wink]
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you wanna put shark jaws on your craft to scare off PWC operators...forget it. It doesn't work. In fact they all gotta come look at it. Doesn't scare off the fish either. That's a good thing.

I used spray vinyl paint for the red mouth and then hand painted the white teeth with a fabric paint (see pics). I used a large paper bag to draw the design and then cut out the outline. Masking taped the cut out over the tube and then sprayed a couple of coats of the red...reversing the cutout for the opposite side.

It held up well for almost two seasons. But could have used some touchup by the time someone bought it used from me so I could get a new one.

The last of the attached pics shows TubeBabes "flame job".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Okay very cool!
Thank you much for the info.

PS what kinda fins do you use?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Over the 50 plus years I have been tubing I have tried just about every kind of fins and other propulsion systems available. Since the early 1980s I have been using Mares Plana Avanti skin diving fins almost exclusively. I keep trying others but always come back to them. They fit me and my style of tubing but some float fanatics prefer others for their own reasons.

I have a size 13 foot and by the time I add a couple of layers of socks and waders I need a large soft foot pocket. The XL model of the Mares...with easily adjustable straps...allows me to use them year round with different combos of foot padding and booties.

In earlier times I could not buy fins large enough or soft enough to be comfortable. Couldn't wear enough socks or booties to stay warm in cold water without constriction and cramping.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I've just added Avanti Quattros to my own gear.
I'm a 12 size foot, so opted for the XL. I'll be adding scuba boots, 5mm booties and stocking foot waders to these.

I got em off eBay for 25$ and 12$ to ship. I used to dive when I lived in Key West, so I understand a little of this stuff.
To me they look in excellent condition, near new barring a few scuffs. The cam locks latch securely and the strap ribbing is sharp.

I compiled a list of user recommended fins a while back, a sort of 'Top Five Most Used.' It was probably you that helped get the Avantis on that list.

We will see what we see.
And I thank you again.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I think you will appreciate them when you get to use them a few times. When I fish warmer water in the summer I only have on a light pair of water shoes and cinch the heel strap up snug...and it is plenty tight and comfy. In the winter I wear 2-3 pairs of socks under neoprene waders...topped by divers' boots (size 16). I can cram that whole mess into my soft foot pockets and let out the foot strap to get the right fit. Fish all day without constriction.

The easy-adjust and secure-locking straps are great too...especially when you need to make a quick adjustment while all bundled up in your winter gear.

Sounds like you scored a good deal.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Here's what I wrote about my Top Five Fins List on my Facebook page, "The Palmetto Fly" ...

"I got the fins for my float tube yesterday. It's the first scuba fins I've had in 30 years. I used to do a lot of diving when I lived in Key West, so I understand this part of it.

And if you don't know it, float tubes are propelled by the user with swim fins of some kind. In California, where "belly boats" are insanely popular, you'll see every type of fin in use. Each fin style has it's loyal followers, of course, and trash talking "fin bullys" seem common. In France there also seems to be a fan base of tubers, and they use styles that are different than those on the Left Coast. To each his own, it seems.

A while back I compiled a short list of recommended fins, those that users themselves were happy with. Here it is, in no particular order:

Force Fins
Hot Spots
Mares Avanti
Atomic Split Fins
Omega Flip Fins

A few details of each -

• Force Fins: the darling of the Cali tubers, they are pricey; used ones go for over $100. These have a unique, folded shape which is said to be the ultimate In propulsion (I have noticed the ones who say it most are the maker - and those who have paid retail to own them).
They have many detractors, too, so all is not completely idyllic in Force Fin Land.
Either way, my budget isn't set for that, so they're out.

• Hot Spots: one of the few that are designed to float. I've spoken with the maker, and they are 50$ from his location. They are made from a fairly soft composition rubber and were high on my list. However, they are more like 'cottage industry' production items, and I have supply and support concerns.

• Mares Avanti: classic Italian scuba fins, they're about as common as water itself. These are the Silver Standard of dive fins. About $100 new, they are a staple in the used market and support is rest available. They also have great support and thats comforting.

• Atomic brand split fins:
These look like regular fins, but have a length wise split up the fins middle.
This makes them flex easier which is said to be less tiring, while still offering good propulsion.

• Omega brand flip fins:
These have the fin portion hinged to pivot upwards, for moving around the shore. Once in the water, they lock down in the "swim" mode. In this finning position, they are in all other respects a normal scuba type fin. Really cool, is like to have them.
Also pricey - $150.

In the end the Mares Avantis won out, for simple financial reasons.
Used price was 40% of new, shipped. Even so, they are like new and for my no-stress, freshwater use they should last the season, at least. I'm more worried about ME giving out, than these fins!

These are open heel fins, not slip-ons. I sized them XL so I can wear stocking-foot waters, dive boots, thick booties or a combination of these.

I guess I'll have to keep my toe nails trimmed after this."
[signature]
Back to your original question about Rhino textured paint. I think Ron was referring to the "texture" rubbing against pontoons. While I feel that is the toon is secured this is not a worry, but the TEXTURE does raise some concerns. From some I have talked to and have read, it is tough, but also very hard to remove if you don't like it. Texture does attract dirt which will make it harder to clean your frame. The toughness on the other hand is interesting.

Fins, I think you have a great handle on. I found that there is a difference in those for "swimming" and those designed for float tune or toon. Just my observation. I do own and use Force Fins and Omega's and have tried many, many others (as like Tube Dude been at this awhile[Wink]) They are work to a point. but I don't think I will ever get rid of either pair of mine.
I still use the little over the top strap ons in High Mountain Lakes. Specially with a motor.
Good luck with your quest.
[signature]
Thanks goddess.

As for refinishing, I go with paint - for reasons I gave way up there before hijacking this over fins.

On fins, it's a work in process. I know this.
Currently, I face budget constraints. My purchasing power is right where I landed. I'll do all I can to adapt.
Later who knows... I do like the Omega concept.
[signature]