Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop shot rigs!!
Ok peeps lets talk drop shots?

I like to use an octopus hook and a skinny thin drop shot hook. I like to use the old roboworm and my baitof choice.

Tell me what you use in your drop shot setup! I am curious to see what you all use out there or if there is some changes that you make to the rig.

Keepum wet!!
[signature]
I like the Trokar drop shot hook, unless I'm around rocks. Then the tip gets dulled up very quickly. Owner Mosquito hooks have been good too, and they hold up better around rocks. I also prefer the thin pencil weights when fishing around rock as they are more snag resistant.

I use a light or medium light spinning rod with 2lb diameter Power Pro and usually 6lb Seaguar Invizx for the leader.

Roboworms are a good choice. I also like to use reapers, wacky rigged stick worms, and baits with more of a baitfish profile like a Zoom Tiny Fluke or Gulp! Minnow. Actually I mostly use my own baits now. Do-It has some really cool mold designs that I like a lot for drop shotting. Their 4.5" Dragon Tail Worm and Super Stinger are both really good baits for the method.
[signature]
I prefer the Gamakatsu Octopus hook with an Aaron's Magic worm. Sometimes a small grub can work also.
[signature]
Pencil weight and a "Spin-Shot" hook for me. I prefer a Gulp minnow as the lure, but I've used a craw grub for smallies.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I use a variety of hooks and sinkers for different kinds of dropshotting. I make and use the "Mojo" style sinkers but I also use plain old split shot at times. In the past few years I have been using my "hanger shot" setup...using a short length of clothes hanger wire with a loop in the end. (see pics). I first started using that in northern Cal for presenting flies and other lures to steelhead, salmon and other species in the coastal rivers. Not many snags and if you rig right you sacrifice only the (cheap) hanger wire.

Clothes hangers multiply in dark places, like closets. So most folks have plenty of them around. If you have a small set of scales (for your drug business) you can measure and weigh out lengths for 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 or whatever. Then use your long nose pliers to bend a loop in the end. When tying onto the bottom of your dropshot rig just use a single or double slip knot...as desired for release strength.

The hanger shot casts well, sinks quickly and tends to climb up over rocks and weeds more than lead weights. It also makes a little more noise to attract fish. I have fished many hours on some occasions without sacrificing any of those expensive weights to the rock gods.

Also, I fish tubes a lot. And have developed a way to fish tubes weightless...as a dropshot. I put a small bead of hot melt glue on either a regular J hook or a jig hook. Then I shove it up inside the tube and push the hook eye out before tying to the line. The hot melt glue is tough enough to last for quite a few aggressive fish but usually breaks down after being left inside the plastic for awhile.

I have done well fishing small tubes weightless but have also used larger tubes successfully for large walleyes, catfish, trout and wipers.

I usually rig my hangershots with a short dropper rather than tying the hook directly to the line. I feel I get more flutter as I lift and drop the rig behind my slowly moving float tube. Strikes are usually plenty hard enough to detect.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Now that he brings it up, I've also used homemade sinkers for my drop-shot rigs. Except instead of coat hangers, I use lengths of solid-core solder, bought by the spool. Cut a length, bend it in half and tie to the bend: simple.
[signature]
the style of hook depends on where and what I am fishing for. For LMB or SMB I usually use a Eagle Claw circle hook in sizes 2 -10. I am not particular about the bait I use, any plastic is used, tubes, grubs, worms, senko's, etc. I cast my own weights, using a modified Do-it bass casting or spinner lure body mold.
I use the Gamakatsu "drop shot-worm" hooks in either a size 1 or 1/0. I tend to use the generic cylindrical drop shot sinkers that can be purchased at SW for a couple of bucks a pack.

I will throw all kinds of plastic types and colors, depending on situation, but at places like DC and Jordanelle, I pound them without fail on a 3.5 inch cut tail worm from Yamamoto in watermelon with gold flake or black flake. Also catch a bunch of jumbo perch on that color as well.
[signature]
I am pretty new to the forum, but I thought I'd weigh in too.

I have used a lot of different hooks that have proven successful. When I first started using the drop shot rig I used the standouts, but then I started to use just about anything: Owner off set shank hooks, Gamakatsu Drop/split shot wide gap finesse and octopus circle, and others.

The weights I have used has varied as well. Last year I used the mojos for the first time and I really liked how they got hung up less often than other standard lead weights. Though I must say I never thought about using hangers.... Thanks Tube Dude. I'll have to try that this year.

And I'm no different with plastics.... I like to use just about anything, especially plastics that I have confidence in. Color wise, black has always been a killer for me, as well as natural colors. And personally, for brands, I like Rage Tail and Yamamoto, but I also like the bargain bins at Sportsman's, so, through being very cheap, I've used the entire gamut of brands.
[signature]
vmc spinshots w/ cross tail shad, fish doctor, roboworm, or 4" senko.
[signature]
Now you've done it. I'm going to have to stock up on on those cuttails before everybody makes a run for 'em at Sportsmans or Cabelas.[Wink]
[quote kastmaster]Now you've done it. I'm going to have to stock up on on those cuttails before everybody makes a run for 'em at Sportsmans or Cabelas.[Wink][/quote]

Ooops, Sorry. ;-)

I think we are safe though. Lake X is about 3 months away from picking up and this thread will be long forgotten by most folks by the time we will need to buy some.
[signature]
One of the least inexpensive weights I've used is the hollow core steelhead lead. You can buy a roll of it for less than 5 bucks at Sportsman's and then use if for years, literally. Just use your pliers to cut off a suitable amount, run the tag end of your drop shot through it and pinch it in the middle. If you snag it, just pull a bit and the line slips through and you are ready to add your next weight.

Simple, slick and very effective.
[signature]