Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead 03-07-2015
Sooo, had the bearing fiasco...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=922511#922511"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...i?post=922511#922511[/url]

Now on to the important things. Fishing.

Launched shortly after 5:30am and off to the normal areas for bait. I went way further in there than the majority of the boats just to get away from everyone. Caught a decent batch of Shad. Size wasn't the greatest but I wasn't being too picky seeing as how I had a trailer to deal with eventually. Several really good sized gizzards and good sized Threadfins but in general the majority were small.

Tossed the net and woooa something in it is fighting. First time for me to cast the net and catch something bigger than a Shad. Talapia I guess? I had this one big one and 3 others that were closer to the typical Mead Bluegill size.

[Image: LakeMead_03-07-15_001.jpg]

Tossed him back in. Wasn't sure whatelse to do with him.

Only caught 8 and kept 6. My mind was too pre-occupied on the trailer wheel bearing issue. Fished for 2-3 hours or so. Should of stayed in the first spot I hit. Right off the bat a double in 50-60ft of water. I didn't even have the "bonus" rod in yet. Then another then I started to drift and move around. I should of stuck it out longer at that spot but thinking I didn't have too much time I tried to move around to get on a good group faster than waiting for one to come by us. Bit me a little.

Anyways the trip had several "new" items/stuff to us going on that I was dieing to try. After maaaaany years of pondering putting a Bimini on the boat to help out in the summer months I finally pulled the trigger. (More for the girls than me. That sun and heat is supper hard on little bodies.) Plus having one will really help out on our annual week long Utah trip which sometimes ends with lots of trolling and just sitting there under the sun time. Anyways it took me a while to find one that was "right" for me. I wanted one for shade but didn't want it to effect the fishability of the boat and I found one. PERFECT. Tested today and it will be 100% fishable from the front and back of the boat chasing the LMB and SMB with very little effect on casting, where we put the rods, etc, etc. Love it! Can't believe I waited so long to get one. It was sooooo nice today for the few hours we were on the water to be kicking back in the seats with shade over our heads.

I didn't want something tall nor long. I wanted it to clear us sitting easily enough and short enough that the second row of seats that are almost never in the boat would not be covered. That way just stand up out of the chair heading back and you clear the Bimini and are able to fight a fish w/o having to jump up on the rear deck or anything like that. It is only 36" tall above the sides of the boat and 4 foot long. When I am standing at the back of the boat my shoulder fits under it. Madi can walk under it without hitting. Both of the rod holders on each side that are also mounted in the Tracker Versatrack rail are aft of the back nylon strap for the Bimini so no reaching around to pass a rod from a holder to the fighting fish position. Also zero holes in the boat. I made my own hardware to work with the Tracker Versatrack system in the boat. I can slide it forward/back without any damage/new holes in the boat. Or remove and no one would ever know one was on it. We cruised 40mph back to the marina with it and it seems fine. Doubt I would want to try something like it in heavy winds but seemed fine for zero winds and that speed. To be seen if having it up and cruising like that will take a toll on the material or not. If anything else it is less than $60 bucks for the cover part if it rips/tears/seams come apart, etc. All together just $217 for the whole thing shipped. Plus $40 or so I spent yesterday ordering a boot for it. I didn't initially order one since I wanted to wait and see if I like it, it fits, etc.

Totally meant to get a picture of it at the dock today but again with the issues I had to deal with with the trailer I spaced it. So garage pics from the other day is it.

[Image: TrackerV175WT308%20(Bimini-Versatrac).jpg]

[Image: TrackerV175WT309%20(Bimini-Versatrac).jpg]

I made a fillet board since the last time out so wanted to give it a try. A couple mounts I made slips into the Versatrack rail system on tracker boats. I gave it a slight angle outwards and got it all sealed. Worked perfectly. Figured once fishing slows down in the latter morning/afternoon hours it would be supper nice to be able to knock out some fillets verse waiting until the end of the day and adding another 30-60 minutes time doing this choir. Worked great. A little tough on the back bending over doing the duties. I did several sitting there and works. A little different sitting but got the job done. Not so sure I would want to do this with 30+ fish at one time. To be seen if it gets lots of future use or not.

[Image: LakeMead_03-07-15_004.jpg]

Then finally... The wife got me a vacuum packer for Valentines day. What a sweety! Been wanting one for a loooooong time. So now I can keep some Stripers in the freezer for a rainy day!

[Image: LakeMead_03-07-15_013.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I'm glad you all made it home ok. That bimini looks great. That sure is a beautiful boat. I really like the color.
[signature]
Thanks. I've become quit fond of the blue boat myself. Wasn't so sure on the Bimini. I was regretting my choice within minutes after ordering it and really thinking I should of ordered a white top. Once installed I felt better. Not a 100% match color wise but close. It is wearing on me. I think both colors would of worked fine. White would of set off better I think but since the blue appears to look fine the road to go down dirt/stain wise to hide stuff.
[signature]
We were out on Saturday too.
Ran into Big-E back in the wash netting Shad.

We got three big Tilapia. 3.8, 3.55 & 4.45.

Wolf.....NDOW wants you to kill any Tilapia you catch.
[signature]
Roger. Will not let another one go back in the water alive.

Wasn't sure what to do with him at the time.

Proper way to clean a boat after a day on the water [Wink]

[Image: LakeMead_03-07-15_016.jpg]

No, I can't loan them out.
[signature]
[cool]It was nice meeting you. Though I was wrapped up in my casting for shad. First time doing it from my kayak.
I also saw wolf4evr I believe fishing by 33 hole. We didn't get anything but a couple strikes.
[signature]
It was nice to meet you, BigE and sealfish (?). Yeah, tossing a net from a yak takes some getting used to. Shogun of the City stands and throws his net standing from his yak. Hope I get to the point I can do the same thing. Lol.

I was also out on Saturday but I was fishing from the shore with my kids. Shad was easy to net but the fish weren't biting though. Only caught one catfish for 3 hours of fishing.
[signature]
Boat looks great and good report.

Next time you get a tilipia release to the grease!

They are tasty suckers. [reply][/reply]
[signature]
I wondered if they were good eatin' out of the lake. Since I had caught it in a net verse on a line and I wasn't sure what it was catagorized as I figured better safe than a ticket and turned 'em loose.

There was tons of them back there were I was casting the net in water just verily deep enough to float my boat in. The reeds were moving all over the place with 'em moving all around.
[signature]
I have shot a few tilapia out of the lake and they are the best eating fish in the lake by far!Next time keep em!They are so damn good!
[signature]
The tilapia you buy in stores and get at restaurants are very low quality farmed fish.

The tilapia out of the lake are wild, clean, organic and local. As a bonus, they were illegally introduced, so you can keep as many as you can catch.
[signature]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoR4dbE1os
[signature]