Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got on some Stillwater on Sunday...
Hit EC from the toons' fishing was pretty good, 33 fish between me and my buddy and probably just as many missed, sinking lines and buggers, olive, black and purple all caught fish.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pictures.
I was debating whether to try there but ended up at Lost Creek. What part of the reservoir were you fishing and what line were you using if you don't mind? I haven't fished EC in years and the last time I did all I caught was a crawdad.[:/]
[signature]
Fished the inlet, fast sinking line 7-20 fow, water is way down and its a hump to the water with toons' but worth it.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I might have to give it a try the next time I'm in the area.
[signature]
I went to East Canyon last Tuesday with my Grandpa. The fishing was hot. I haven't gotten out on the toon I got for Christmas yet. The only line I've gotten for it so far is a type III, but I bet I could still get a few. I'm going to have to give it a shot.
[signature]
So how did you like your new toon, motor, motor mount, and battery deck? Looks pretty good in the photos.
[signature]
Floated all day so that's a plus [Wink] I like it for just a cheapie and getting back into stillwater, I am sure I will upgrade at some point but for what it is, it is working out great!
[signature]
I just hope they open the SR 65 road soon Sad
[signature]
You will do just fine with a type III. remo said he was fishing in 7'-20' FOW so a type III will get you there. You might have to let out most of the line to get 20' if your paddling. The line type indicates how many inches/second the line sinks.

Good luck when you go.
[signature]
All lines sink. The number is how fast they sink. It can make a big difference. Type III is a great all around sink rate. warmers days a Type V or even VII. Right now an Intermediate can be crucial right now.
[signature]
Another option if your not casting is lead core line. Very cheap!
[signature]
Lead core on a fly rod? There are sales all the time on sinking fly lines.
[signature]
Ive heard of lead core sink tips, I always thought they were for Spey or Saltwater. Ive never heard or seen anyone in Utah use lead core other than boats trolling with bait rods.
[signature]
I wouldn't be surprised if sinking line was PVC coated lead core.
[signature]
Like I said only for trolling or stripping. I don't think it would cast unless you made a sink tip. And one plus is it changes color every ten feet. But I agree I have bought plenty of SA, rio and Cortland for around $20.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I wouldn't be surprised if sinking line was PVC coated lead core.[/quote]

Not certain, but I believe it's usually a tungsten (or similar material) impregnated polymer. Sink rate is determined by density of impregnated heavy material.
[signature]
You are probably right on about tungsten in todays market. But with the lead core still being available in sink tips, I am betting a lot of the older or cheaper sinking lines still home lead. I do see the fly world straying from lead, but I do only fly fish...LOL
[signature]