Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids on the Provo
So I was fishing the Provo today and saw some kids fishing the river by Vivian Park. One of the kids, who I think was about ten, asked me where to fish if he wants to catch some. He had salmon eggs under a bobber set up. I told him bait was illegal on the river. I gave him a couple of my favorite wooley buggers, then gave him some tips about targeting riffles, seams, and structure. I also suggested the pond if he wanted to use bait.

I felt kind of like a jerk, but I was thinking I may save his dad from a hefty fine if DNR came by. And I gave him some flies and solid advice. I went upstream a little ways, caught quite a few fish over the course of about an hour, then walked back.

When I walked by I saw dad was with the kid reeling in and empty hook under a bobber with a tackle box full of power bait next to him. I didn't say anything this time and now I kind of wish I had. I don't know, it just seems like there are signs everywhere and he should have known that bait isn't allowed anyways.

What do you guys do when you see people bait fishing where it is prohibited? I probably could have tactfully said something. Oh well.
[signature]
Not only would I have given the kid the flies but probably rigged his rod up for him as well.
[signature]
Good point. I always hesitate to do anything with other people's gear. I probably ought to have done that though.
[signature]
Something to think about carry some of the cheap clear bubbles and a small spool of mono like 6 lb test and #10 swivels. use that to rig up the kids rod. A lot of times kids don't always have the gear to rig up a fly and bubble rig. The stuff is cheap too.[Smile]
[signature]
So I fish the Provo quite often and Ive run across a a few bait fishers on the middle, and lower sections. There's nothing wrong with updating people with the correct information. Some people act as if they really didn't know but I'm not cop so I don't enforce or press the issue just a simple :

"Hey you know these sections are Artificial Bait only , you could get a ticket if you get caught using bait"

I Usually get the deer in the headlights look or a turn of the head stare then I usually walk off unless they want more in depth info but not a big deal since its the Provo and some sections bait is allowed.
[signature]