Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Lures
I have never done well at Willard Bay the few times I have fished it.

So I will ask those that have had good luck. What's your favorite Lures for Walleye and or Wipers? Hard Baits, Spinners, Soft Baits.

What are your favorite colors and sizes to match, or possibly not match the baitfish in Willard, but they consistently work for you?

Just need to make the correct additions to the tackle box.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
Just a good ole black and silver F5 Rapala! There are others that can work better at times, but my most consistent wiper killer is the original Rap!
[signature]
Are you fishing from shore or a boat?

If from a boat. speed and depth are important.
Keep your lure far away from your boat.
Planer boards are very helpful to get your lures away from the boat.

I like to long line my lures at least 50 to 75' behind the boat.
Wiper speeds usually are faster than Walleye speeds.
Try fishing 2 mph to 2.5 mph for Wiper and around 1 mph for Walleye.

Wiper will usually be up higher in the water column, which is why it's critical to have your lures away from the boat.

Along with the standard Shad Rap lures, try some jointed lures.
[signature]
In the past I had fished from my kayak or from my kick boat. But I plan to fish it this year from my 16' Tracker.

Brian
[signature]
Yesterday I got my 3 wipers at 3.2mph (pretty fast) in a deep shad rap. I was letting it out til it was bouncing on the bottom, then feeling it just a foot or so up.
[signature]
[quote DKStroutfitter]I like to long line my lures at least 50 to 75' behind the boat.[/quote]

Me too, except that I add 100 feet to those numbers (150 - 175 feet).
[signature]
About 7 years ago, I was asked to put on a seminar on this very topic. As part of the seminar, I provided a handout. Over the years, what those wipers like to bite change from year to year. I even remember catching the heck out of Willard wipers with a crocodile spoon gold with red dots. Guess I ought to give that a try again.

Anyway, attached is that OLD handout that was quite helpful at the time. 98% of it still applies today.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
wow, you couldnt have broken it down any better.. That should answer almost any question about Willard. Thanks for sharing Old Coot. I use many of those lures or similar but never tried the J raps. Have to give it a try. Seems they really like that fire tiger this year. The blue and silver shad rap was the only lure i used last year and it out fished every other lure i put out. Ive also been using shad spray but cant tell if it helps or not.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for sharing.

Old Coot, I will be getting my hi-liter out and studying the information you shared, it looks like some detailed information that will be very helpful.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
Excellent info, Ralph.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

One question.
I have heard of a location called the island that is on the West side of the Bay.
It is where you will see a lot of boats chasing Walleye.
I have it marked on my GPS.
I don't see it on your map.
Could you please tell me where it is on your map?

Thanks,
Dale.
[signature]
DK,

The island is location 16 on Ralphs Map on page 8 of 13. The coordinates are on page 9.

Ralph mentions using scents on his lures. Does anyone tip their lures, if so with what?

Brian
[signature]
There is no "island" on the west side of Willard Bay. There is however a pile of Christmas trees that were dumped there years ago by Rocky Mountain Anglers (a Utah fishing club). Those trees had cement bases to hold them down there. That is probably what you and others are referring to on the west side. I don't have the exact coordinates to that pile of man-made structure but it is very close to that number "4" spot on the map ... out in the deepest part of the pond. That "structure" holds a lot of snagged tackle (well, at least a lot of mine!).
[signature]
[quote DKStroutfitter]I have it marked on my GPS.
I don't see it on your map.
Could you please tell me where it is on your map?[/quote]

Get the coordinates from your GPS and plug them into the search field of [url "https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw"]Google Maps[/url] and press enter (like your were searching for a stree address. But put in GPS coordinates instead). You'll be quite surprised when Willard Bay pops up with an arrow marking the spot on the lake you are wondering about.

Google Maps accepts just about any GPS datum format. Very useful.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
[quote FishSlayerJT]... never tried the J raps. Have to give it a try.[/quote]

Typically, because those jointed Rapalas have so darn much action, I think they work better at the slower early spring troling speeds (now). The single piece hard baits are better suited for the faster summer troling speeds. But that's just my opinion.
[signature]
Wow, lots of good info on this thread, thanks. L I chased wipers a few times at Willard last year with my fly rod out of my kickboat. I caught a few little wipers but never could get into anything decent. I'm excited to try again this year.

Mark
[signature]
Great info here on Willard. I miss fishing it. Growing up in Farmington, we used to go up there every fall and catch the wipers in the jumps from the dam walls...they used to love crocodiles! I may just have to convince my Dad next time I'm up visiting him in F-town to go out there on his boat. Nothing fights quite like a wiper!
[signature]
2", 3"Maniac minnows in pearl white, Holographic Shad, Chartreuse Holographic rigged on 1/16 or 1/8 oz lead head, retrieved slow are always a good producer. If you troll, then put them on 1/4 oz head.
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]About 7 years ago, I was asked to put on a seminar on this very topic. As part of the seminar, I provided a handout. Over the years, what those wipers like to bite change from year to year. I even remember catching the heck out of Willard wipers with a crocodile spoon gold with red dots. Guess I ought to give that a try again.

Anyway, attached is that OLD handout that was quite helpful at the time. 98% of it still applies today.

--- Coot ---[/quote]

This is fantastic information and very comprehensive! Thanks, Coot!
[signature]
In the spring, I have caught Wiper with 1 1/2 Cutr Bugs in White with Red Flake.
Just the right size for the new shad populations.
This was done under a bobber and close to shore.
[signature]
This afternoon they hit multiple colors of shad raps, white HJ5 rapalas, blue J5 rapalas, orange/silver rattle traps, and even silver "bargain box" jerkbaits...
basically, if you find the fish, they will hit just about anything you throw at em!
[signature]