Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minn Kota question
So I think I'm going to buy the Minn Kota V2 powerdrive. I will purchase it with the foot pedal but also going to buy the ipilot later on. So all I need is this remote right? http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Outdoors-1...ds=i+pilot
[signature]
From my understanding you'll have to purchase the i-pilot link system. http://www.amazon.com/MINN-KOTA-1866410-...lot+add+on

I just purchased the V2 Powerdrive with i-Pilot and have loved it. (http://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-Powerdri...ive+ipilot)

I think it'd be easier to just buy it all pre-installed rather than having to install everything after the fact.
[signature]
Yep, you will need the unit that Dgallen referenced. Not much consolation, but it will come with the remote that you linked to, so you won't have to purchase it separately.
[signature]
If you buy the Co pilot after it is onlt 2 screws that you undo and set the pack on the side and put the 2 screws back in. Very easy.

[fishon][fishon]
[signature]
I am not I interested in the ipilot link, I just want the ipilot seeing how I don't have a hummingbird fishfinder the link would do me no good. You can either buy the v2 outdrive w the ipilot or the foot pedal but not both. So I'm hoping I can get by upgrading the remote later
[signature]
Not exactly. You have to buy they whole I-pilot system, which will include the remote (unless your V2 comes equipped with I-pilot, in which case you get a remote with it, but no foot pedal). If you are going to buy the I-pilot, it is far less expensive to buy it with the motor than to add it later (if buying new).

http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-i-Pilot-A...ds=i+pilot

Also, I had the V2. You can run it with the foot pedal for now, but when you install the I-pilot, the foot pedal will no longer work (unless you uninstall the I-pilot).

[url "http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/FAQs/FAQ-Details/Can-I-use-a-foot-pedal-with-my-i-Pilot-or-i-Pilot-Link-equipped-motor-/"]http://www.minnkotamotors.com/...ink-equipped-motor-/[/url]

I now have the Terrova w/ I-pilot. I have the foot pedal AND the remote in the boat. Saturday on Willard, the battery in my remote died. Had i not had the foot pedal with me, I would not have had control of my motor.

The foot pedal is also handy to have if you are casting into shallow structure (like for muskies, which I use a two handed casting rod for) and need to follow a weed bed or submerged brush, but don't want to use your hands to operate the remote.

Terrova = slightly more money than the V2, but well worth it to me.
[signature]
Good to know thanks for the help
[signature]
You can upgrade to the Terrova and get the footpedal and the pilot remote.
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/trolling-m...t/terrova/
[signature]
how big is your boat.
I have a 20' boat and bot the 24volt and if I had to do it over again I would get the 36 Volt, and I would be lost with out the romote.
sometimes trying to save money, cost more in the long run. are you don't get what works.
if you watch and wait for sales and watch ebay you can get a good buy.( and amazon).

You need to find out how long the battery will hold a charge.
[signature]
The sales rep at cable's told me it was 150 to add the I pilot to the v2. But now,hearing what I'm hearing I'll just buy it w the I pilot in the first place. I have a 15' aluminum. It won't take much but I do want to buy a motor I can use on a bigger boat Down the road So thinking the 54" shaft with a 55lb thrust in the 12v. I want the 24 v but Can't add too much weight to the boat.
[signature]
It is little bit confusing. If you buy the basic PowerDrive motor, of course you just get a foot pedal. You can upgrade that to CoPilot for about $150, and you get a kit to install and a little remote that you can wear around your neck, on your wrist, or on a rod. With that, you can still use the remote and pedal together. If all you want is a remote, without linking it to a sonar, it's a good way to go. I used that for several years.

You don't need the iPilot unless you intend to also upgrade to one of the Humminbird units that is compatible. If you upgrade a basic MinnKota to the iPilot basic, it also comes as a kit that has to be installed on the motor, and costs about $400. That's what I'm using now. Again, it's cheaper to buy the motor with it factory installed. The iPilot allows you to
"anchor" in a spot, follow a straight line without your having to correct constantly, follow a track that you previously "recorded", etc. The remote that's sold separately is just for people that lose their original remote. The foot pedal cannot be used with the iPilot installed.

The iPilot link is the next step up, and costs about $700 for the kit to install on your motor. It's much like the iPilot basic, but allows you to automatically follow the bottom contour of the lake etc, but requires that you use a compatible card in your sonar --- that will cost you another $150 plus, if you don't already have one.

As you can see, it gets expensive, especially if you buy each upgrade after the fact. The CoPilot worked great for me, especially considering that you can use the remote and foot pedal simultaneously, and it's only $150 to upgrade. The iPilot and iPilot link are fantastic, especially if you plan on downrigging a lot, but you'd better be prepared to spend a lot of bucks on the unit, probably a new compatible sonar, and maybe a map card that will allow you to take advantage of all the features.
[signature]
Thanks, good info. I did know the difference between I pilot and the ipilot link. I never intend on using the ipilot link. The feature I'm very most interested in is the spot lock feature. So therefore I better save my $ for the ipilot
[signature]
Yes, the Spot Lock or whatever it's called is a great feature, I use it all the time. Again, make sure you get a Humminbird sonar unit that is compatible, or you won't be able to use it. Of course it works with the GPS in the sonar unit.
[signature]
I ran the 12V Powerdrive and now the 24V Terrova on a 17.5 foot Ranger Reata. Both would get me close to 2.2-2.5 mph max on a calm day. In wind, 2.0 mph if I quartered the wind (not head on). With a little chop trolling bouncers quite slow, I could get a couple hours out of the 12V and usually get 4-5 hrs with the 24V. Autopilot will burn up the batteries more quickly in the wind because the motor will turn back and forth with every wave (vs, pointing it in the direction you want to go, and manually adjusting with the remote or foot pedal only as needed for wind drift).

One thing to keep in mind: both can pull a lot of amperage for a trolling motor; the 12V more than the 24V (double the voltage = 1/2 the amperage). Use heavy wire between the motor and battery and keep the distance between them to a minimum to 1) insure that you do not melt anything and 2) minimize your IR current loss (which will use up your battery more quickly). I think MK recommends 6 gauge minimum.
[signature]
I have a 24 volt minkota 65AP ,65# thrust auto pilot with a 55" shaft without the compass. If you can use need to find out what its worth. I just bought a new MOTOR GUIDE 82# TRUST.
PM if interested
[signature]