Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice crappies
Ok so here is the deal one of my little hunny holes is froze over and it rarley freezes. SO does anyone know how to really ice fish for crappies and would be willing to share info. I would tell you the spot but There has only been one other guy out on it and I would like to keep it hush hush (mainley from the guest type that read but dont share. so any help would be greatfully thankfull.

by the way the water aint to deep maybe only about 10-13 ave and maybe 20 in its deepiest hole. And please dont go guessing so that they run out and try it if someone says it. PM me and I will be more than glad to share with you.
[signature]
I used to be able to catch a few out at willard a few years ago through the ice. I'd just use little vertical rapals, or curly jigs, tipped with a mealy. I never did catch any up at pineview, but I never really fished a place up there that held a bunch of crappie. I hope you can catch them little gusy. Good luck. Let me know how you do.
[signature]
I heard that Pelican was fast and furious rightnow for Crappie!!!
[signature]
It's fast for bluegill, but I don't think that there are crappie in Pelican.
[signature]
FFM,

Here is what works for me at Pineview (until this year). I use a really small green and chrome Crappie jig I buy at HFT's place. I tip it with those small shiners you can buy in a jar. Use a super sensitve rod or strike indicator. Rock the rod tip up and down slowly, only a couple of inches. The Crappie don't really hit it, they just kinda inhale it. When the rod tip feels heavier than it should set the hook, they'll be one there. I can't over emhasize how important it is to NOT jig it. The jigging motion will scare them off. Don't use any weight or an attractor either. If your line won't come straight, it's O.K. to use a split shot, but put it up the line about 2' above the jig. Go light with the line, I use 4#. If the green doesn't work, try different colors. Good luck and I hope this helps.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, IFG, as an old-timer who has extracted many a crappie from both Pineview and Willard...in the "good old days"...allow me to back up some of the points you made. The first being that these fish are notorious for being slow and finicky...both in open water and under the ice.[/size]

[size 1]About the only time most people score on crappies is when they charge the banks for their "spring fling". At that time, almost any nimrod can hang a jig below a bobber and catch crappies. Of course the better crappieholics will catch more. And it is not uncommon at that time to hang crappies on everything from plastic worms to crankbaits. I have taken some dandies with spinnerbaits being dragged along the banks for bass.[/size]

[size 1]Once the crappie finish making little crappies, they move offshore and often suspend at mid depth over much deeper waters. If you can find sunken trees in their preferred temperature zones, they will sometimes school up pretty good. [/size]

[size 1]Catching them is another matter. It takes good sonar and a vertical presentation...much like ice fishing. It also takes much smaller jigs than during the spawn. When they get touchy, even a 1/16 oz tube jig is too big. I used to catch some bigguns on my smallest marabou jigs...down to 1/64 oz on size 10 or 12 hooks. [/size]

[size 1]That condition can hold through the summer. Look for crappies suspended over underwater humps, points and trees. Fish small and slow, and use light tackle with a sensitive rod. The "strikes" are often nothing more than a light tick...as the crappie sucks in the jig...or even just a bit of pressure that wasn't there before.[/size]

[size 1]In the fall, there is often a brief period when crappies go back on the feed. If they have been out in 30 feet of water, over a point, they will sometimes move up into ten to fifteen feet of water and be suspended at about mid depth. A good way to fish them then is to rig a tandem tube jig rig, with two 1/32 oz. heads with different color tubes. [/size]

[size 1]Find the fish with sonar and toss over a marker for visual reference. Don't toss the marker right on the fish. Stay back within easy casting distance and toss the tandem rig right onto the fish. Tight line the drop and be tuned for a "pop on the drop". Count down the sink and know how long it takes for the jigs to reach the bottom. Whenever they stop sooner, set the hook. Once you know the "count" of where the fish are suspended, you can start reeling slowly when your jigs reach that level.[/size]

[size 1]Again, as IFG pointed out, DO NOT use a lot of jigging movement. Crappies are wierd in this respect. They will seldom munch a lure with a lot of action. They prefer to tip their noses up and intercept a falling lure...or to just inhale one as it swims steadily by within easy range. No aggressive rod-shattering strikes from these fish.[/size]

[size 1]As the water cools and gets toward iceup, the fish go into their coldwater mode. That means that they downshift from first gear to almost neutral. While you can sometimes still find a few that will hit a slow retrieve, the vertical approach works best. That means sonaring a school and dropping straight down. [/size]

[size 1]If you are fishing off the bank, rig a slip bobber...the smaller the better. Use tiny chartreuse plastics on the lightest heads you can get away with. White sometimes works well on bright days, but the hot colors are hard to beat in cold water. The real key is to be a good bobber watcher. You don't have to give your rig any action...especially if there is a light "fishing ripple" on the water. But, you do have to keep your eyes glued on the bobber. One that lays down and then tips up when you have a taker is ideal. Otherwise, you need to watch for the slightest twitch...or moving sideways...anything. I have had days when I hooked nice slabs within 30 seconds on every cast, while guys fishing right next to me (and on top of me) were going ZIP. I watched their bobbers and told them when to strike but they just did not have the touch.[/size]

[size 1]Now, the purpose of this thread...CATCHING CRAPPIES UNDER THE ICE. Both Willard Bay and Pineview used to be "money in the bank" for a batch of crappie fillets. Didn't matter if you couldn't score on the other fishies. There were always hordes of crappies. Of course, that has changed. But, they are still in both waters and they still act the same.[/size]

[size 1]I use the phrase "You can't catch them where they ain't". That is most applicable to fishing for crappies under the ice. You need good sonar, a knowledge of the underwater terrain and a lot of luck. But, once you find them, they will often be in the same areas...as long as the conditions remain pretty much the same. [/size]

[size 1]That is the big problem on the Utah waters these days. The spots you could normally count on to hold some winter crappies are out of water. They have had to find new holding areas and it sometimes takes a lot of prospecting to find them. [/size]

[size 1]When prospecting a new water...or an old one with changing conditions, I start by finding docks, trees or other underwater structure. Crappies are structure oriented. Even one small stickup is sometimes enough to gather a good sized school. [/size]

[size 1]Docks are usually one of your best bets...as long as there is enough depth. But, you need to stay on the ice and drill your holes next to the docks. If you stomp out on the docks and then start drilling and fishing you will likely be washing jigs in fishless water. I have had more than one experience of having a wild session on crappies ruined by some bozo who came stomping out on the dock to see how I was doing. That may turn things off temporarily or for the day.[/size]

[size 1]Next to docks are underwater trees or brush piles. A good GPS unit can help you find the known ones, and mark your own discoveries for future reference. When the water levels are down, you should be out locating and marking good structure for the days when the water comes back up.[/size]

[size 1]When you find crappies under the ice, you will see a cloud of marks on your sonar...from fairly shallow to almost the bottom. Which of these fish are biting? Who knows? As a prospecting procedure, I fish with two small ice flies...one white and the other chartreuse. I use a couple of fresh waxies and lower the offering slowly to the bottom...not allowing it to just sink...a controlled stop/start. [/size]

[size 1]Sometimes you get bit right under the ice. I have had times when the fish rose in the water column to a point that I could see them by looking down through the hole. Other times they will be deeper. [/size]

[size 1]If my rig reaches the bottom unmolested, I start it back up. I do not reel...or do any jiggling. I raise the rod tip slowly as I bring the jigs back up through the zone. You need to stay poised for a tick, or watch for your rod tip to hesitate just a smidge. That's how the bite usually is.[/size]

[size 1]As usual, a whole lot of words. There are books and books on crappie fishing. But, there aren't any on the subtleties of fishing specific waters in Utah. I don't claim to know all there is about them, but I have accounted for my share...mostly by applying the tackle and techniques refined by others in other areas, and adapted to Utah. [/size]

[size 1]Regardless of where you find crappies, they do have some common traits that can work either for you or against you. If you take advantage of them, you can have a lot of fun. If you are clueless, then you can be fishing in crappie-rich water and never hang one. [/size]

[size 1]And, in all honesty, I have been humbled by them more times than I care to admit. You can't catch them where they ain't, but sometimes you can't catch them where they is, either. There will be times you curse your lying sonar for showing all those marks and being able to catch nothing. Then we blame it on the moon, or whatever. Works for me.[/size]
[signature]
Well,,I'm going to mess up everything that you have been told so far, but hey, that's what keeps it interesting.
Last week, and every year at first ice, there are some huge Crappie caught at Utah Lake. Heddon Sonar blade baits in hot pink and white. Jigged fast up, then dropped slowly to bottom. Usually the Crappie hit about a foot or so off bottom. Watch your line and know where bottom should be. Set the hook if the line goes slack before bottom.
After the first week of good ice, then it's back to the slow, just let it hang bite. We still catch them, but they like pink ratfinkie jigs with a wax worm. Sitting still under a float or with the rod sitting still and a spring bobber. The bite is light and usually barely noticeable.

Good Luck!

walleyebob
[signature]
Thanks for all the info guys I am going to try and hit it a time or two this week. I will let you guys know I do. As for EVERYONE that sent a msg I will get back to you with the local ( I will probley just post it after I fish it [Tongue] ) But I will definetley let EVERYONE know. PS, It really aint that secret of a spot [Tongue]

Thanks againe guys.
[signature]
I have fished a lot for crappie and didn't do very good until lately. I found that the light leader makes all the difference. When I wasn't catching them I was using 6lb leader but when I switched to 2lb test I started to catch them. I agree that you don't want to move the jig much. Are there perch in the pond? If there are and you can catch a couple of them use their eyes for bait. The crappie love them. One of the best crappie places that I know of is Glendale Resivior by Preston. Last year in my float tube I caught on that was 15 inches long and was just huge. I checked and it was within a 1/4" of the state record. I have found that crappie really slow down once it freezes over. If you know the lake well find some structure that will hold the crappie and you should be able to find them. I hope this helps.
[signature]
I own a few of those Heddon Sonars but haven't tried them yet. Some guys were using them for vertical jigging through the ice at Utah Lake for the white bass. I watched them catch a few on them, but it appeared that for every one that was caught in the mouth they snagged at least 3 or 4 others. I have thought that they might work for casting and perhaps even trolling. Has anyone had much experience fishing with them before?
[signature]
That's all that I use for the white bass. The package says that they can be used for trolling, but when I have tried it, we had to troll awfully fast. As I was using them last week, I was thinking that they might produce some hits on wipers out at Willard. They like it trolled fast anyways.

Does anyone know if there are crappie in Deer Creek? I've caught a few bluegill and LMB through the ice up there, but have never really looked around for crappie.
[signature]
ok here is my way to get them up to newton from the ice. we use a size 16 or smaller hairsear with a smallest wax worm to tip it with. put it on 2lb test or smaller if you can find it. we put that on under a ice ant tiped with meal worm. we do move around a lot until we find a school. lots of times we drill 5 or more holes and look with fish finder before we even start to fish. but we get a lot of crappies that way. give it a try. let me know how you do. I also have a few more tricks for them if you want to know just pm me. there is one that I do not want to post on here because I dont want it to turn in to a bad thing.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Bob, those silly crappies in Utah Lake do not know how to act. They get dingy from banging their heads on the bottom when they try to dive in the shallow water. Then they hang out with the white bass homeboys and start acting like them.[/size]

[size 1]What's the largest crappie you have seen come out of Utah Lake?[/size]
[signature]
funny you would mention white bass and crappie in the same sentence i was pullimg white bass after white bass off the norht jetty at the state park when right in the middle of the bite i caught my only capprie ever from utah lake a hog at 14"
[signature]
I caught a few fishing for bass at the Lindon Harbor last year in the spring. I was using small spinnerbaits, and they were pretty big, around 12 inches and probably 1-1.5 pounds. Fat little suckers. I know they've always been in there, but you can't go target any fish in particular at Utah Lake besides catfish. I just go and start casting around. What I catch is anyone's guess.
[signature]
Hey TD, now that Utah Lake is frozen, they bang their little heads when they look up too.

I doubt I've seen a Crappie over 13" at Utah Lake. But even 13 is a darn nice Crappie here. A couple were caught the other day that looked to be 12",,,on Sonars. The white bass hit real good for about two days. Now we can't catch anything. My friend Brad and I were out all day Sunday. We drilled fifteen or so holes and I marked big fish hugging bottom on the Vexilar. Caught one mud cat.

We did some quick figuring up at Starvation the other day and decided we had about two hundred and fifty pounds of Tube Dude jigs between us. If Arizona ever has a massive lead shortage, we'll send you some.

Take care,

Bob
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Yeah, 12" to 13" crappies are pretty fair sized for Utah. Caught some bigger ones out of Pineview. Here's a pic of some Arizona crappies...including one over 16". Got one down here that was 19" and just under 4 pounds.[/size]

[size 1]If you guys don't like my jigs...or my generosity...I can shut off the flow. And as for the lead...I have recently received a couple of shipments from unnamed sources in Utah, so I am well stocked. [/size]

[size 1]Oh yeah, you can keep the snow up there until I get back. We are suffering through high seventies down here...and nary a speck of fog. Silly me. I wish I could be out drillin' and dippin' on the ice with you guys.[/size]
[signature]
Nice Crappie, wish we had a really good crappie lake around here.
Are you sure you don't want us to send a little ice and fog down there? It makes the fishing a lot more fun. The other day at Utah lake, we were lost. Couldn't tell where we were at until 2:30 in the afternoon when the fog lifted just enough to see the "L".
And hey!! Who said we didn't like your jigs? I think they are my main go-to presentation at Jordanelle. Perch and slickfish love those little red headed chartreuse body jigs.As a matter of fact, the only bite I got at Starvation was on one of your white jigs with the red eyes and brass hook. I didn't see the bite, but WH2 said my pole was moving.I was busy checking out Tomeguns solar flare.
When are you moving back up here? You still need to go for a ride in my SKY BLUE boat. Before I break it in two and have to get a new one.

I gotta go to work, bummer.

Bob
[signature]
[cool][size 1]That makes me feel better. You almost hurt my feelings. HA HA. A cold blooded critter like me is not that sensitive. I can take it.[/size]

[size 1]I found it interesting in your posts that you were using blade baits, and also that pink was a "hot" color. I have been touting pink for Utah Lake for years. I always carried a box full of hot pink tubes, twisters and "stump-jumpers". Something about the clarity and chemistry of Utah Lake that makes pink a good color...especially in cold water. I am going to be putting up a post on pink, which will incluse some of the new stuff I have been doing in pink. [/size]

[size 1]Oh yeah, there will be some pink blade baits too. I have also dusted off my blade bait mold and plan to use more of them myself this year. I have done well with shad imitations...both for casting and for vertical presentations. As you will see in the pics I post, I have several prism tape alterations in various shades of chartreuse sparkle, blue, etc. The black and chartreuse model has produced quite a few species.[/size]

[size 1]I would dearly love a guided trip in the blue bomber. However, I suspect that one more February at Lincoln Beach will probably leave it ready for replacement.[/size]
[signature]