Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 gallon gas tank
Needing to get a bigger tank. I have a 3 now,after looking at the different 6 gallon tanks I am not sure what brand to get.seems like reviews of them, a lot of people say they leak or they swell too much,and none of them come with a vent anymore. So anyone here bought a new tank recently ? If so what did you get and what do you think of it? Seems like such an easy thing to purchase,but for $50 I don't want a crappie tank that will just irritate me.
[signature]
I have never seen a boat gas tank that didn't have a vent . I have had good luck with the ones walmart sells .I believe they are made by Attwood .
[signature]
New EPA laws I guess, from what I am reading they don't do the venting in the traditional way anymore and that's a big complaint that I read about on a lot of the reviews
[signature]
I have a 3 gal and a 6 gal Atwood tank in the new style. Yes, they certainly do bulge, especially in the summer sun, but it's never been a problem. Atwood recommends using a "thread sealant" but I don't know for sure what that is --- teflon tape? liquid sealant? I don't remember what I used, but they don't leak fuel, even under pressure. Fifty bucks sounds like a good deal. Most places sell them for a lot more.
[signature]
Maybe you could find a good used tank on KSL or Craigslist .
[signature]
There are several on ebay , metal and plastic tanks .
[signature]
the money really isnt an issue, i just wanted to hear what others luck has been with aftermarket tanks. I have had my tank for years and always carried a 5 gal regular tank with a spout and I am getting tired of pouring gas while on the water. so i went ahead and got an attwood on amazon for $46. I thank you guys
[signature]
If your willing to drive, there is a guy in henefer that has three older style tanks like the one I just bought for $15 I believe. They are in great shape and he can be found on ksl in the boat parts. I was going to drive up and get them all but found a single here in Ogden for $20
[signature]
Not having a vent really sucks as we've all found out. I found an idea on youtube were you drill a hole in a new plastic can where the vents used to be and then put in a valve stem with the core removed. Then, when you want to pour the gas, you remove the cap on the valve stem and you have your vent! I tried it and it works great.
Edit:
I'm not sure why it's not embedding the video, but if you search "gas can vent fix" on youtube, you will find lots of them.
[signature]
I have a six gallon plastic tank in my boat and the filler cap has a pressure release button in the middle. I always push the button and release the pressure before unscrewing the cap. During hot weather the pressure can really build up and and bulge the tank. It is dangerous to unscrew the cap under that type of pressure.
[signature]