Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Report: Where are the striper?
First, the report:

My friend and I motored from the back of the wash to Black Island hitting every cove, wall, point, and rock pile we came across, pulling in both spawning and post-spawn LMB. Farther south of the wash, the water hovers around 65, whereas the temperature is several degrees higher, closer to 70, in the coves of the wash.

Altogether, we produced quality fish on a lot of different lures, but topwater took the cake as best producer. Buzzbaits and walk-the-dog style baits pulled quality bass from points, and frogs emptied out bushy coves. Drop shots took care of bedding fish, and spinnerbaits pulled them up out of deep water. The lake is in great form for fishing, very satisfying day Big Grin

Now the Question:

Striper were, and have been, tough to come by for me. I've spent time at my usual striper haunts but can't seem to consistently get on the schools--just fish here and there. Where have they gone? It seems like they're away from the north-western portion of Boulder Basin--is this correct? Let me know if you've heard the latest striper word from around the campfire or have recently been on them!
[signature]
The Striper are back....and this weekend will be great.

The fishing APPs rate it at a 93/100.
Android app.....(time to fish lite)

Bait was back in the wash on the right by the boulder cliffs. Then moved out towards the middle of that cove.

Fish are by Gov. wash channel market and by Sand Island. Find schools the drift thru the or make a quick stop and drop. You will have to keep up with the moving schools of fish.

Also try the cove openings on the south by outhouse cove and just west of Sand Island.

Carolina and inline weight rigs 1oz with a 1/0 bait hook of your choice, 10 to 15 pound lines.
[signature]
Thank you for the report, Iamsmf. BFT appreciates the Nevada Striper Club for keeping a beat on the fish and alway being willing to share information. When is the next NSC open?
[signature]
Probably not anytime soon.

We work lots of hours holding garage sales and BPS cookouts to raise money for the tournament prizes

The last two years have only attracted around 5 or 6 non-club members. The past winners got plaques but it took the Whizzle almost a year to connect and get his from us. This last year, the winner still has not collect his plaque, he did cash the check.
[signature]
Why doesn't the NSC make tournament prizes contingent on the entry fees?
[signature]
We did on the last two open tournaments.
Advertisement, flyers, banners and plaques do not come out of the prize money.

Two years ago the winners took home the 2 big banners we had hanging at Bass Pro Shops.
[signature]
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish they would have worked out better for the club.
[signature]