Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three community ponds on 4/4
Started at Holmes Reservoir at around 11:00. Never been there before. Absolutely beautiful conditions. Glassy water surface and besides my son, my friend, and I, there were only two other people fishing (tubers on the North end). Tried plastic worms, jerkbaits, spinners, fly and bubble, and nightcrawlers. After about 75 minutes of nary a nibble we decided to leave.

Headed up to 21st street pond in Ogden. Fishing was slow, but after about 35 minutes my friend caught his first one. In the next couple of hours we caught 10 fish between the three of us, all small bows, the biggest probably 12 inches. We all caught them on nightcrawlers either on the bottom, or below a bobber.

After a stop by In and Out for burgers and shakes, my son and I hit Bountiful Pond on the way home and fished for about 30 minutes. Tried spinners, nightcrawlers, and plastics worms. Nothing.

It was fun to spend the day fishing. I'm thinking the relatively cold weather might have had something to do with the slow fishing. Regardless, we had a great time. I'd love to try Holmes again at some point. Or I'd like to get the permit and try Hobbes.

Dropped by a generous board member's place on the way home to get some hand-me-down seats for my bro-in-law's new (to him) boat. It'll be a fun project! Hoping to get out on the water on Monday.

No pics, sorry. The fish wouldn't have made great pics, but the scenery would have.
[signature]
[quote akammerman]
.......After a stop by In and Out for burgers and shakes, my son and I hit Bountiful Pond on the way home and fished for about 30 minutes.......
[/quote]

Good eats make for fun treats when pond skipping with family.
[signature]
Bountiful pond can be fickle at times. If you have boats (rubber rafts, tubes, canoes) there are ways to get to the fish.
[signature]
And you are welcome!
[signature]
It's nice to have so many options for fishing so close together.

FYI Holmes Creek is the one you need a walk in access permit to sign in before you go down to the reservoir.

Hobbs has the special regulations.
[size 2][/size]
Limit 2 trout under 15 inches.
• All trout over 15 inches must be immediately released.
• Artificial flies and lures only.

Sounded like it was a fun day to explore some urban ponds.[cool]
[signature]
Shame on me! I had switched it around. I specifically went to Holmes because I thought Hobbs was the one where you needed the walk-in access code. When I looked up Hobbs on the DWR site, it says "all anglers must register" -- and I thought: "Hobbs is the registration place so I'll go to Holmes". Now I know and won't forget. Do you need an access code for both?

I'm thinking now about those night crawlers. I don't think we opened them until we got to the 21st pond, but my son my have tried powerbait at Holmes. Oops.

Also, when I was driving from Layton to Ogden, I noticed the Weber River running along I-84. There was a running path, I think. Is that stretch of river accessible for anglers?
[signature]
It looks like your right about Hobbs also needing a WIA authorization number. When I walked up there last year I don't remember seeing a sign in box. It is a bit of a walk to get in there, especially if you want to take a float tube.

You were ok with bait at Holmes Creek, it's Hobbs that has the special regs.[cool]

That stretch of the Weber is accessible to anglers and it can be fun to fish depending on the flows in the river.
[signature]