Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric drill ice auger adapter(from utah board)
I tested my adapter today on Rockport with 6-8 inches of ice. I was using a Snap-On 14.4 volt drill with the battery fully charged. The drill and battery have been used hard and hung up wet so I knew that the battery was heading south before I used it. First the adapter is very well made and fit right into my 8 inch auger. I was able to drill two holes before my faulty battery died. One hole was really fast and the second slowed down. I would recomend the adapter to any one because it is so well made. I got my adapter from e-bay and it is called the ice kicker 1.
[signature]
ok, you have my intrest up. do you have a picture of your auger and your drill motror.

I am having a hard time seeing how this works. that has to be one gigantic electric motor.

If you can slide me over a picture, I personaly would love to have a nice quiet auger to cut my holes for me.
[signature]
ALOT OF GUYS UP HERE USE THEM TOO ! HOMEMADE OF COURSE , JUST A COUPLE BUCKS AT THE HARDWARE STORE TO MAKE .
[signature]
I am sorry davetclown, I do not have a picture but it is just an off the shelf 8 inch hand auger and a 14.4 volt snap on drill. The drill is small accually. The inventor said it was made for 5-6 inch lazer augers so that was my bust. You can see a picture of the adapter on ebay just type in ice augers and its in there.
[signature]
you are right, it would be easy to make if you had a mig gun or were really good on an arc welder. I have neither right now so I would not be able to do it. The adapter is so well made it would be easier just to buy one and use it. I would recommend the purchase of one to anyone who ice fishes.
[signature]
You boys must either have some really good batteries or it isn't very cold where you are. I cordless drill wouldn't last long where I fish. We prefer to use a gas model for the four feet of ice in february. I have seen an electric auger before, my dad uses one. But it has jumper cables to hook up to the truck battery. He likes to fish from his truck eh.
[signature]
It, not too cold here, the last time I went fishing it was about 7 with a wind chill factor.
[signature]
[Smile] I fished with a guy last nite that made something simmilar to it !! He took a 8 inch hand auger , cut the handle off and welded a shaft that fits in a larger drill , then he hooked a converter up to his truck and plugged in his drill !! This way , you don't have to worry about dead batteries !! It didnt take him long to drill through 24 inches of ice

.[Tongue]But I'll stick with my 10 inch Stealth !!!!

[signature]
Here's a picture of the Ice Kicker (not sure if it's the same one Daniel has).

[Image: ICE%20KICKER%20NEW%20(GREEN)%2033.jpg]

I have a similar one. The difference is that mine has a circular, rather than rectanguler guard in case you drop the drill or it comes loose and tries to fall into the lake.
[signature]
I've used mine a couple times this winter. I don't know if it's the batteries, the auger, or the drill itself but I'm only getting 4-6 holes per battery. Maybe I have my drill set on the wrong setting. Can't remember if it's supposed to be set on 1 or 2.
[signature]
15-20 minutes of drill time sounds about right. that is all I get of constant drilling on my hand drill, (constant drilling)

time your drills running time to see what kind of time you are getting.

I dont use my drill for ice fishing, so I get about an hour or so of drywall drilling. I pack a spare battery, one to charge while I am using the other.
[signature]
Great idea! Bring the car charger and a car battery. [Wink]You are brilliant!
[signature]
I will go ya one better, get your self a roll of duck tape and an elbow for your exaust pipe, drive on out to your spot, duck tape the elbo on to your exaust pipe down to the ice and turn the car on. you will melt a hole right through the ice with little effort.

but you might want to get out there the night before to be sure you get a hole melted all the way through by the time your fishing buddies get out there.

and remember, if the ladies dont find ya hansom they will at least find ya handy [sly]
[signature]