Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegas Fishing Myths and Legends!
Its been 6 years now since I left Vegas for Texas... Have to say the fishing is a little better here. I have caught 40lb blue cats, a flat head about 15, a 2.5lb crappie and bass at 9.3 and 10.9.! Yes I am bragging lol, I am not that good, the fishing out here is that good.

But I still miss Vegas fishing... Even if it kind of sucked looking back now.

I got to thinking about some myths and truths of Vegas fishing...

1. There is a year round trout fishery somewhere around Mt. Charleston- I dont know if this is true or not. But I sure looked. Found some stocking reports for a creek up there somplace but never could confirm it or fish it.

2. There are HUGE bass at Floyd Lamb State Park. TRUE! I caught a fish pushing 7 lbs and several 5's there. *Hint, they were not from the big pond on top!

3. The old Sands golf course had excellent bass fishing and could be fished at nigth by sneaky anglers. TRUE when I first moved to vegas in 94, a then 13 year old me would ride my bike down to the course and do work! They loved an old school Rapala minnow just twitched on top.

4. There used to be fish in Lorenzi Park pond. TRUE 94-96 I used to fish it daily and managed a few small bass here and there. As the years went on it got bad, was overun with all sorts of exotic pet fish. Then it was drained I want to say in 08? never fished it since.

5. You have to go to Utah for the best trout fishing. FALSE If you guys are not hitting up Sunnyside AKA Kirch you are missing out on a jem! We used to slay big trout and large numbers of bass there on small spinner baits. Its still to this day my favorite place to fish, and I have been blessed enough to fish many great bass lakes out here in Texas as well as Mexico.

6. There are catfish the size of VWs at the dam in Mead- MAYBE. Never seen one, But I did catch a 18lb channel once at govt wash one night way back when. And saw some at the Vegas Wash Marina (yes, this place was real too!!) that was easy 25.

7. There is a pond, somewhere off of Sunset that is ripe for the plucking! Full of big mack daddy bass! NOT SURE I saw it on google earth, and think I read something about the land maybe being used as a park at some point. But not sure about the fishing... Someone check it out and let me know.

8. There is no place close to Vegas to learn to bass fish. FALSE Nesbitt lake is FULL of 13-15 inch bass. We would catch 50-100 a day! No size to them but if you want to learn new ways to fish, or teach a kid how to bass fish. This gem is only an hour away!

9. Dan79 and the Whizzle almost fished together once. TRUE I was gonna show Whizzle how I would slay 50 carp to 20 lbs before noon! But he said something about drumming or something that day?? I forget, it was like 10 years ago haha.

Well thats it for my Vegas fishing myths and legends.

Yall have any of your own or any input on these? My info is dated so correct me if I am wrong or if you have input of your own!

Tight lines fellas.
[signature]
the year round trout fishing is not at mount charleston, it is called cold creek.
[signature]
[quote lvfishingdude]the year round trout fishing is not at mount charleston, it is called cold creek.[/quote]

Cold Creek... Sounds familiar.

Hey there is some kind of pond out that ranch in Red Rock Canyon too.

Anyone know if there is any fishing there?

I just recall hiking and seeing it off in the distance.
[signature]
The pond at the ranch is protected, they have an endangered species of minnows in there. Nice pond but I dont think anyone can fish it.
[signature]
What about that old abandoned aluminum boat that used to be across from Govt Wash? I recall it was there for years. Haven't been out there to see if it is still around.

When we pulled up to check it out, the seats were removed, but it looked like a solid fishing boat otherwise. There were no leaks in the bottom which was amazing.
[signature]
someone probably stole it and took the motor off it
[signature]
6. About the huge catfish, I don't believe it. As a kid, I heard they were as big as men (and believed it). We have channel and white cats in mead and I believe the world record for channels is just over 60 lbs. I bet there are a few that are getting up to that size, but a catfish the size of a volkswagen would be hundreds or thousands of pounds. That said, I will still perpetuate the myth among young anglers. [cool] Haha
[signature]
Speaking of VW bugs... That is essentially what comes out of the barrel of the 16" guns on the old battleships like the Missouri... (Weight wise anyways... Take one VW, compact it and shoot 'er down range!)

Back to fishing and on subject [cool]
[signature]