Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tip Ups
Was the law for tip ups here in Utah?? are they treated like a pole, one per person???
[signature]
[cool][size 1]The clarification I got sometime back was that it is okay to use one or two tipups...depending on whether the lake allows two rods and you have two pole permit.[/size]

[size 1]I don't know why anyone would want to use them in Utah. They are designed to be fished with live minnows, for walleyes. They are also used for fishing big live or dead minnows for northern pike under the ice. The idea is to let the fish munch the bait and move off with it. The flag tips up when the spool starts revolving and you can move in and set the hook.[/size]

[size 1]Fishing jigs tipped with bait is not nearly as effective without a rod...both to do the jigging and to signal a quick bite. You gotta pop 'em quick and a tip up would only mean that you had a bite, but not necessarily a fish.[/size]

[size 1]That does not mean you couldn't use dead minnows either suspended just off the bottom, or laying on the bottom. That might be a good plan for walleyes in some lakes and the big cutts in Strawberry.[/size]

[size 1]Personally, I like to stay a little more closely tuned to what is going on at the end of my line.[/size]
[signature]
Any line with a lure, bait, or similar would be considered one of your fishing rods -- so definitely one tip up would be counted as one of your fishing rods.
[signature]
I've had success with them in the past on Pineview, for tiger musky. There is a tip-up called the 'windlass' that has a metal blade on the upper end that catches the breeze. I would tip my jigging minnow with a piece of perch meat, and let the wind do my jigging for me. When the flag would fly . . . fish on!
Good luck.
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]I have found that drop shotting is the best way to go ice fishing. It has been very successful at Jordanelle, Scofield, and Strawberry. Its legal too!! It would of worked at Starvation, but we had a lousy guide[unimpressed]. You can use an ice fly on top with your favorite jig on the bottom. I've used meal/wax worms on the upper and crawlers/frozen minnows on the later. I've caught bigguns on both. And, I'm waiting on my first double.[/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Thanks for the answers all. A friend asked about the rules for them and I was unsure.
[signature]
Hey Tom,

Has drop shotting got anything to do with tip ups? If so, explain how you do it? Also when you drop shot, do you raise the weight off of the bottom?
[signature]