Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying for the Green...
Figured I tie a few patterns for the Green next week, my boxes are pretty much stocked but figured I'd work on a few patterns anyways. Tying up some BWO emerges in size 18, some bead, some not.
[signature]
Yes, good idea to have all phases of hatching Baetis. Do you tie/fish Barr Emergers? Great fly when they're reluctant to come up and eat floating duns. I keep 'em on hand in sizes 16-20.
[Image: Barr%20Emerger_Baetis_zpsrkk6ds4d.jpg]

Here's a great tutorial from Craven's website if you're not familiar with the pattern: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/...arentID=51

The PMD version is a killer fly too.
[signature]
Not gonna lie, those kinda turn me on!!
[signature]
Ya, have quite a few Barr's...love them!
[signature]
Tied up some epoxy back nymphs..
[signature]
Should be great. Was there yesterday. Those BWO'S are EVERYWHERE! Was really windy though and made it kind of hard. I was scooping handfuls of them out of back eddies where they had been blown.
[signature]
Nice, how did you do? I will be there for a few days so hopefully we get some decent weather.
[signature]
It was difficult. The wind was howling bad. Couldn't get any to hand but fought an amazing fish for about ten minutes before he came unbuttoned. Kinda just stood there in shock watching it disappear back into the deep. Was nice being out though. I only had three hours before I had to be at a friends dinner in Vernal.
[signature]
Just got home from taking the scout troop.

Fished Sat, windy downstream, then windy upstream, then rain. #18 & 20 BWO Dunn and crème WD-40's.

I have never seen that river so alive with fish. I've seen many fish, but just before the rain, about 4pm the water looked like there were a school of wipers boiling at Little Hole. Some fish near shore just rising with a steady cadence to the flies and some in the middle of the river coming completely out of the water, some fish laying so close to the surface waiting for the next morsel that their fins looked like a tailing Bonefish.

Lots of fish caught and released.
Last night was windy and raining at Dripping Springs.
This morning after breaking camp we spent the day at Sheep Creek catching some for the smoker and many were caught.
For 3 of the boys it was their first fish ever.
[signature]
You shouldn't even need to fish subsurface, unless you just want to. Griffith's gnats when the BWO's aren't hatching (early and late day), and para adams, cdc duns, and cdc cripples (Quigley/Harrop style). Or, you can just fish a cripple all day and be hooked up! Seriously. If its cloudy, you won't know which head to cast to. Its that good. #18's and #20's are best. #16's will work in faster water/riffles.
[signature]
Thanks Jim, I always have two rods rigged, one for nymphs and the other for dries, I just always seem to catch bigger fish underneath (except the Cicada hatch), at least that's my experience, but if it's hot in top I have no problem dry fishing all day.
[signature]