Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Croix Imperial vs. Rio Santo
Looking for some input on these 2 rods. I just broke an old pro-graphite model (which I hadn't fished with in years due to its slow action) and St. Croix will replace it with the Rio Santo, but I also have the option to upgrade to something else. I like the sound of the faster action of the Imperial, but would love some input from anyone who has experience with either of these. This will be a 6 weight for throwing bigger stillwater stuff and streamers on rivers. Thanks!
[signature]
Never fished the Imperial line but I loved my Rio Santo 5 wt. not very fast but still would cast very nicely...I think it would do fine in a 6 wt. for Stillwater.
[signature]
Go and cast them. I have a 4wt Imperial and love it. Do not know about the 6wt. Ever weight, in ever brand cast differently. I use a 6 wt Allen rod for still water and streamers.

Cast them with the lines you use.

Good luck.
[signature]
I couldn't tell you about the Rio Santo, but I do own a 5wt Imperial. Personally I think that the 6wt would be an ideal rod for streamers and Stillwaters. I use my 5wt imperial for throwing big articulated streamers up and the Madison and local rivers as well as lakes. It gets the job done, but a 6 weight would definitely be an awesome rod for what you're looking to do. I wouldn't consider the Imperial as a true fast action, but it is close as I would put it between medium-fast and fast. I'm also looking into a more streamer and big water 6wt rod, as well as carp and bass, but I'm currently leaning towards a Redington Vapen. Good luck!
[signature]