Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT day at Willard 4-21-15
[#0000ff]Seems like at least every other BFT member in Utah was at Willard today. Albinotrout already reported our meetup...and seeing Coot and his ridealong. Also met GumbyK and Humpy at the fillet station after I got off the water...and talked to a few lurkers and other BFTers.

I launched about 6:45...after several boats had already hit the high seas. Air temp 45...10 degrees warmer than last Monday. Water temp started at 56 (3 degrees warmer than last week) and rose to almost 58 by late am departure. Oh yeah, the murky water of the weekend has cleared up nicely. Good and green.

As last week, I was on a crappie quest. No other species were harmed in the compiling of this report. I did sorelip a couple of wipers and a small walleye but allowed them an early escape.

Part of my plan today was to break in a newly built 7 weight flyrod. First time I have toted a fairy wand on my tube for a while. Strung it up with a WF sink tip line. Figured that would work about right for presenting flies in the 5-8 foot crappie zone. And I figured right.

Started out prospecting with my high-low hanger shot rig...with a white jig on the bottom and a blue/clear sparkle on the top. Threw 1/16 oz. tube jigs on the second rod...in the same colors. Had my first footlong crappie on the blue hangershot within five minutes of beginning fishing right outside the marina.

Moved around trying different depths and presentations...finding a crappie here and a crappie there. No schools. But enough that I could have had a limit in less than an hour. Only kept a few and kept trying to find a good area to flex the flyrod. Kept catching a good mix of 12, 13 and 14 inchers. There were a few darker males mixed in so it looks like they will get serious about spawning soon.

About 9 am I had kept 8 crappies and they were hitting with enough regularity that I put up the plastics and brung out the feathers. Game on. Man, that sink tip and a tandem hot-head fly rig really got some attention. I tried both stripping after the sink and slowly kick-dragging. Both worked. Got another grundle of slabs.

About 10ish my left knee started complaining and I had caught plenty of crappies to properly train my new rod. Had ten in the basket and cruised in to the ramp.

The lake was still calm, with only a light ripple. Hope everybody caught plenty of fish. And hope the incoming weather system does more good than harm.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It was good to see you again Pat. We need to do this again soon.
[signature]
"It was goods wrong you again Pat"
[#0000FF]
Do you do your own spellcheck or do you pay to have it done for you?

Let's see what the weather looks like next week. Maybe hit Lincoln Beach. It's time.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Gotta love auto correct. Lincoln beach sounds good.
[signature]
Thanks for the crappie report. I took my fly rod out last evening and hooked into some my self! Took the risk hoping I wouldn't find a wiper to unspool me, and had a blast.

I need to get a fly rod more equipped for willard...
[signature]
[#0000FF]A 5 or 6 weight will handle almost anything in that lake...if you have plenty of backing. Actually, a 4 weight should be a blast on the crappies. Only thing is that those silly wipers don't unnerstan that they are too big to play on a 4...and they can tear up your gear.

I just made a 7 weight...not so much for fishing crappies at Willard but for throwing bigger flies for bigger fish of several species. It is tough to punch out a big tandem bugger on a wimpy rod. Almost as tough as trying to fight a fish big enough to eat it.

Glad to hear you got to play with some crappies.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Was it difficult to make? I have considered making one many times, but just haven't ever taken the time to actually do it...

I think I told you I had a 4 wt before, which I don't know what I was thinking, but I do have a 5 wt. Maybe I will give those wipers a try after all =)

If you ever go up in the evenings or on weekends and need a fishing buddy you should give me a holler, I may venture out and try to learn a trick or two
[signature]
TD, Albino-- You guys fussy 'bout who ya fish with? If not I'll invite myself to join you when you hit Lincoln. One more week and it should be an all out orgy there. Temps hit 59 today.

BLK
[signature]
Not fussy at all. My next free day will be Monday.
[signature]
You can add me to the list of BFT anglers at Willard today.
After tearing it up at Freeway Bay on Saturday, I decided to bring a buddy with me today that wanted to learn how to catch Wiper.

Three of us launched at about 11:00 am.
Just in time to see Albinotrout taking out.

I told my buddy, watch us not get into them today.
Boy was I right.

We didn't get a bite at Freeway Bay in over an hour, so over to the Feed Lot we went.
Notta!
Moved back to Freeway Bay and finally got 2 small Wiper.

I knew that the Crappie action was good back close to the North Marina so we reluctantly headed back there.

That was a good decision.
The 3 of us limited out on Crappie in about an hour or so, and headed back to Freeway Bay for one more try.
Still no Wiper.

Came back to the North Marina area and finished the day practicing C and R on the Crappie.

Oh Yah.
For those of you that say without pictures it didn't happen.
[signature]
Pleasure to meet you Pat.
Thanks you for the custom jigs/flys. They came in handy today.
I just got back since I met you today. I had my limit a while ago but fishing is addictive when they are biting Smile
Again very appreciative for the custom flys.
Here's the haul for the day but released another 15+
Nothing too impressive. Just your average crappie for an average day at the Bay.
Now that is a mess of slabs
[signature]
I was there too! See, if I had a BFT flag, then maybe I could meet some of yall in person! I'm sure some of you saw me though... I'm that loud annoying duck boat that was cruising around out there around 4.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Rod building is really not all that difficult...unless you have never made one before. The first one is a great teacher...and best done with at least a good teacher. I am attaching a writeup on some of the basics you need to know. After that it is hands on. I would be happy to help you choose your components and to help you in putting it together.

As for fishing on evenings and weekends...well I just don't do that much anymore. I fish mornings because I am a morning person...get up at 5 and wake up at noon. Seriously, I love daybreak on the water, even if the fishing is not always better then. Sometimes it is. And that is usually the calmest time of day...and windiest later in the day. I hate wind.

Weekends? Hey, I'm retired. Seven day weekends. So I choose to fish midweek and not have to play with the amateurs. But you'd never know it was not the weekend on Willard when the only good fishing day forecast is in the middle of the week.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Well, yes, I am kinda particular about who I fish with. But in your case I'll make an exception. Just don't get all uppity about it.

Of course we would welcome your presence amongst us. Need somebody to take a pic of me holding up my 36" contest entry.

Let's watch the weather and stay in touch. Looking like Tuesday might be decent and Albino usually has that day off.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]It was good to meet you too. I have always enjoyed your reports. You definitely have the shorebound fishing thing dialed in. Not ready to get rid of my tube just yet, thank you.

Glad you liked the trinkets. Hope you got some "likes" from the fishies.

Did you guys get any fish inside or only outside?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I was driving out as you were driving in. At least I saw some grizzly old dude that looked a lot like you behind the wheel.

Glad you caught some fish. Sounds like the wipers are either slowing down or doing something different than the week before. Nothing wrong with a couple of meals of good crappie fillets though. Looks like you got at least that much.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Outside, didn't try the inside yet but maybe today.
Going to a different spot today for a minute that much people don't know about. Well... It's no super secret honey hole but some people know about it but not as many as yesterday. Lol
It started to become a little city yesterday on the small piece of real estate.

I'll let you know how it goes today or maybe even see you out there on the floating city haha.
[signature]
My grandpa and I launched around 2:30 and fished till 7:30 or so. Found a couple decent wipers in freeway bay right off the bat then it died. Trolled along the feed lot, around the island, from the southwest corner up to light pole, and tournament alley. Ended up boating 6 wipers and 6 crappie and lost about half a dozen wiper at the boat. Seemed like the fish were spread out all over place for us, but we never joined in outside the North marina. Never could find a good concentration of fish. Grandpa had a good time though!
[signature]
"Grandpa had a good time though!"

[#0000FF]That big Smile tells it all. Good on ya.[/#0000FF]
[signature]