Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer board question
So after watching the segment on Willard with planer boards I finally decided I want some. I have had the urge for years but now ready to pull the trigger. I about bought the Church Tackle TX-12 mini planer tonight. Is this a good board or do I need to go full size? Mostly fishing for trout on waters like rockport, deer creek, east cayon and maybe a willard trip for some whipers.
Also, is the flag worth buying? And lastly, has anyone tried the cabelas brand planer board that comes with the whole set-up including flag?
[signature]
I have the church brand and I like them.
[signature]
The Church brand works well except if the waves are too high or you choose to use too heavy of a lure. I use them and also Off-Shore.
[signature]
I would recommend the full size because mini-planers don't seem to handle anything but ideal conditions well, and with full size boards, you can run more than one line on each board. I would also recommend flags to communicate to others that you are running boards. Avoiding a boat running boards can be a real challenge on a lake like East Canyon where there are natural choke points and typically several trolling boats working the same structure.
[signature]
Depending on what you can put in your boat, I recommend that you buy a full sized planer board and avoid the Church's and other small detachable boards.

I run a set of double boards that I made myself and they are great. They pull hard to the outside, stay close to even with the boat and I can run them in about any weather. If it's to rough for my planers, then it's to rough to fish.

There is lots of information on building your own on the internet.

[url "https://www.google.com/...sAQ&biw=1280&bih=663"]https://www.google.com/...sAQ&biw=1280&bih=663[/url]

[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekdjDTRdH4g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekdjDTRdH4g[/url]

I used flat aluminum bars on mine so that they fold up flat with both boards together to make them store easier.
I can easily run 4 lines off of this kind of board.
[signature]
the tx12 boards work great I used some Saturday and they worked fine and are lighter to pull in than the full size yellow ones , and tracked well I'd buy some in an instance. I don't think they have a flag option , the off shore brand does have a flag with the option of having a tell tell flag kit. they are both great products and I think you will be happy with both.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I’ve tried both Church and Off Shore. I prefer Church but I know more guys prefer Off Shore. If you decide to go with Church, I would recommend the TX-22 model. When you get them new, you have to assemble them to be either a right hand runner or a left hand runner. Once you have used them, you will quickly label them "right" or "left" to eliminate confusion. Those TX22s are designed to come off the clip and slide all the way back to the lure and to the fish once a fish hits. I hate that! So I fish them a little different than how they are designed to be used. I use them in such a way that they don’t unclip and don’t slide back. Then when a fish gets hooked, and your reel is screaming, you have to reel in the board, remove the board from the line, and then finish reeling in the fish.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]To keep the planer board from coming off or from sliding down the line, I run the line through the front pincher and then wrap it around under the bottom lip and between the pincher again. In fact, if you are using slippery braided line, wrapping the line is what keeps it from slipping.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have a set of the TX-12 and TX-6 … don’t like either ofthem as much as the 22s. My brother, on the other hand, loves his TX-12s. If the water is glassy or fairly calm, the 12s or even 6s will do. But if there is any chop or ripples at all, you'll wish you had the 22s.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I know that is probably more info than you wanted but somebody else may have benefited from my babbling. [/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And, as for building your own, I always say, “why buy it fo r$10 when you can build it for $100”.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]My Church TX-22 boards have taken a good 10 years of beating and still work great. They are the ones you seen on the Adam Eakle show.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the plans, I think I may just make this set-up. Fighting the planer board after catching a fish doesn't sound fun, I like this idea a lot. Not having to retrieve your planer board each time is way nice as well. Thanks for the plans.
[signature]
[quote americanforkdude]Not having to retrieve your planer board each time is way nice as well. Thanks for the plans.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Bingo; and you are welcome. Are you paying attention Old Coot? [Wink] With my boards, the fish strike releases the line from the clip and all you do is fight the fish. I have about 30 clips on hand so the boards stay out most of the day. Since building them in 2008, I may have run out of clips once or twice and pulled the boards in to retrieve the clips.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Board in the water[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][inline "In use on 23 May - 400.jpg"][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Mast to let out and retrieve the boards[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][inline "Planer Board Mast 003.jpg"][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Clips to attach the fishing line[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][inline "Planner Boards 007 - 400.jpg"][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Bob, I use the Big Jon Otter Boats and did away with the mast in the front because I didn't care for the way it pulled the planers in rough water, too much movement up there. I took the reels off, seperated them and rotated them to a horizontal position and moved them to the back of the boat. I'll add pics this afternoon. Skeet
[signature]
[quote dubob][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Bingo; and you are welcome. Are you paying attention Old Coot?[/#800000][/font][/quote]

Actually, I am paying attention Bob. And I must agree that not having to bring in those boards with the fish is a considerable plus.

Since looking at your pictures and plans, I have been thinking about the concept more.

One thing that still makes me think I'd still stay with my style of board is that once a fish is on my board line, it "stays out there" for a while longer while reeling it in. That time that the board is coming in, gives my partner a chance to reel in the straight-back rod to get it's line out of the way to prevent tangling.

But yea DB, I must retract my earlier judgment until I have an opportunity to try your style of boards firsthand some day.

Speaking of which, I'd get a kick out of trolling Willard with you in your boat some time and learn a thing or two (hint ... hint).

--- Coot ---
[signature]
Dubob, I was wondering how tall of a mast you use on your tracker? And how is the mast secured to the boat? I fish out of a Targa and have been wanting to instal a mast but I could use some advice from someone who has experience using them. Thanks, Zugbug
[signature]
I like the idea of bringing in the fish without the board. My question is do you have to go back and forth from the mast to clip your line to the mast line or can you hook it from the back of the boat where the action is? The plus i see to running inline boards with a tattle flag is you have a chance to tell if your lure is fouled or if you hooked up something bite size and know before the lil guy starts water skiing. The minus to them is bringing them in with the fish or having them pop off in a chop. My other question is can you use a lighter action rod with that style of board? I would love em for that if you could.
[signature]
Looking forward to these pics.
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]Speaking of which, I'd get a kick out of trolling Willard with you in your boat some time and learn a thing or two (hint ... hint).[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Hint noted. [Wink] I can make that happen shortly - maybe late May.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I just had a total knee replacement Mar 25 and I'm still in therapy trying to get my balance back. I'm hoping I can get stable enough to launch and retrieve my boat by mid-May or thereabouts. Always glad to have company and share war stories.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote ZugBug]Dubob, I was wondering how tall of a mast you use on your tracker? And how is the mast secured to the boat? I fish out of a Targa and have been wanting to instal a mast but I could use some advice from someone who has experience using them. Thanks, Zugbug[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I use a [/#800000][/font][url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/Berts-Custom-Tackle-Planer-Board-Mast-Systems/737302.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dplaner%2Bboard%2Bmast%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=planer+board+mast"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Bert's 3-foot Double-Reel Mast[/#008000][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] that I got through Cabela's ($320). It comes with a base mount that is easy to put on & take off. It is a very solid set-up that I have not had any issues with in 7 years.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Just from the pictures I would assume it is this mast http://berts-tackle.shptron.com/p/planer...ystem?pp=8

I am in the process of trying to make something like this. I have always hated fighting the planer board while bringing in the fish.
[signature]
Shoot if you could sit I'd take you out in my boat. I have only had a scope and minor knee surgery so not sure how long that takes to heal.
[signature]
I used the leftover rod holder stems (2ea) when I purchased extensions from Cabela's to make the transition. I didn't care for the swaying movement the mast created at the front of the boat so I moved both spools to the rear corners where they're more stable and consistent. Rough water will cause the mast to surge your planers fast and slow, I prefer a steady drag. I also added a cone to my boards to slow them down a bit because when they come off a wave they'll almost outrun the boat. Hopefully the pics will do you justice if you decide to copy the setup. As far as the mast installation I had also adapted the bottom to fit the front pedestal seat mount because the mount that comes with it seemed a little weak again in rough water but don't have pics, sorry. Skeet
[signature]
As far as the mast, I used the 6 ft. which really exaggerated movement, 3 ft. may be the way to go. If you choose to do the horizontal spools keep them a bit forward so you have room to net your fish, nothing worse than having lines in the way. Skeet
[signature]