Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 BFT Flotilla #5
Hey everyone over the last four years we have held a spring flotilla as a get together to put faces to names and to have some fun fishing while we're at it... In the past we have hit all parts of Cutler and think we have wore out those locations so we are considering a Mantua event this year.. This post is to gage a general interest level and also we have put a food element to this event in the past and it's starting to get a little spendy to cover on my own so I was wondering if a $5 cover would be acceptable? We are planning on a bowl of TD's Pig out chowder as the dish this year... Also looking for an acceptable date for the event.. Saturday May 16th is what I'd like to propose... If you are interested please indicate, and better yet if you could help with the planning, setup and etc I could use some help so we can try and keep things running smooth... Please let me know if you would help and some way I can contact you... Will try to set up some prizes for a fish contest if local vendors support us again this year... Last year we had some great prizes including the Blackstone grill and Sportsman's Warehouse certificates... Well more to come, but just wanted to get this out there to judge interest levels.. Thanks J
[signature]
Jeff, for me personally I would rather not have this at Mantua. Ramp, dock space, parking are all rather on the small side. Plus the $5.00 launching fee required. Now, I don't mind hitting Mantua a few times during the year, but on a Saturday (any Saturday when the weather is warm) that small pond gets pretty busy with power squadron, swimmers, bank tanglers, etc. and parking and launching can become like dodge boats. The $5.00 fee isn't a big deal, but if we want to have a cook out as part of this, Mantua doesn't have any picnic facilities (does it?) (I've never seen any). My vote would be for Willard Bay, and using one or two of the day use picnic areas. I think most BFT members have annual passes and that would cover the entrance, boat launch, and picnic facilities. At WB no one would need to act as a guide (like on the river last year) and the way some of the BFT gang has been dragging in the fish the past month, shouldn't be any problem getting fresh fish for the chow down? Any way that's my 2 cents worth.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sounds like fun to me. I wouldn't mind Willard as I have only fished it once and need another excuse to get back there, especially having people there to teach me some secrets.
[signature]
Dang it's too bad I work Saturdays. Have fun guys!
[signature]
I'm not set on any one location, I thought we might try that NE area for the get together, but I'm fine at Willard Bay if you don't think it will be too crowded... What is everyone else's take? Either of these locations will free up time from the guiding duty to maybe get food ready on time this year.. (unless I won't quit fishing).

I'm not real familiar with the facilities at Willard outside of the launch ramp and cleaning station so I could use some help finding a good spot to set up and help lining up the area from the state park if we go this direction...... Willard may open up this event to a few more members since it's a little closer to the population centers...

Anyway sounds good appreciate the input... J
[signature]
Sounds like a good time. I, too would like to meet some of you folks. I agree that Willard may be a bit better choice considering the lack of 'picnic area' at Mantua.
[signature]
I think you'll have a chance to rub shoulders with some of the best at Willard, and most of them seem willing to help the newbies... I know a few really helped me out after my initial skunking there... So keep an eye on this post and we'll see who decides to come... Thank you for the interest.. J
[signature]
Great, look forward to meeting you as well... follow the post for details... J
[signature]
It sounds fun! Being a newbie I would have love being a part of this "Flotilla." Unfortunately, that date is not going to work for me. However, I would still like to help and donate $5 or more if needed. So if you can keep me updated and PM me of whom I need to send the money to, I would gladly donate.
[signature]
Sorry this day won't work for you and Kevin, seems like it's impossible to get a date that works well for all, so we try and do what we can... I appreciate the offer of the help, but it's just to cover the food cost so don't worry about it unless you can stop by and get a bowl... By the way it is a little on the high calorie side of things but I love it... One other thing we need to thank Tube dude for... Well hope we get to run into you another day... I'm starting to fly the BFT flag so if you see me sometime, say "hello"... Thanks J
[signature]
I'm all for it. I do not own a boat. I can get any day off I want so long as I ask ahead of time (like 1 week).
[signature]
That brings up a good point. In the past we have tried to get a spot in a boat for the non floaters. So if anyone has extra room and wouldn't mind meeting and taking a fellow BFTer out, please let us know and we'll try to get as many on the water as possible. Thanks and will be great to see ya there. Later J
[signature]
Jeff,
If this does end up at WB, on a Saturday, I will probably have space for one other in my Tin-Can. She's small, and not real fast, but she floats good, and is about perfect size for 2 people. Will let everyone know if I still have an open seat as the time gets closer.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I also don't have a boat and would love to get out on the water if someone has an extra spot. I can bring the beer or pop or water or what ever you drink.
[signature]
Thanks Forest that will be great!! We may have to do a match up at the dock deal or have folks line up riders just ahead of float day. I'm thinking I may bring my toon this year to cut down on my launch load time so I can take care of food things and still get to fish a little. It's funny how a short one day deal like this flotilla can help make friendships. I've really enjoyed each of the previous events and look forward to this one. Each year we increase our circle of BFT friends and that's always been a good thing. Oh one thing all needs to know, I'm not a perfectly organized planner there will be oops so I hope you can roll with it. Our main goal is to have a fun relaxing day out, tell a few tales and hopefully make a friend or two. Oh and if we catch some wiper that's a bonus. Thanks for the help. J
[signature]
Most likely we will be able to find Ya a spot on a boat. Each year we have been able to get our non floaters a spot. Although last year my boat problems almost left CV and his sons without a ride, but others filled in for me and it all worked out. So I hope you can join in, it will be nice to meet you. Later J
[signature]
In years past, during some of our smaller tournaments we have used the picnic tables at both the North and South marinas for BBQs after our tournaments. It usually is not an issue as long as we did not take up the space all day. This was several years ago but if you like I can call the park manager and make sure we can still do this without an additional fee. As long as those in attendance pay to get into the park with either a State Park Pass or the daily entrance fee I think we will be ok but I'll check just to be sure nothing has changed.
[signature]
I'll be visiting Fish Lake that weekend. Have fun!
[signature]
Hey Curt I'm pretty unfamiliar with the facilities at Willard if you could talk to them about a good spot that would be great!! I would really appreciate that. Thank you Jeff
[signature]
Hey good luck, maybe next time. J
[signature]