Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Logan River in town?
Hello All,
Taking my daughter to her soccer game in Logan this Friday. Anyone ever fish the Logan river any place where it runs through town--or close to town? I'd be interested in knowing a couple of spots because I'd love to try to soak a line for the hour or so that the team is warming up (okay: maybe through the first half, too [Wink]).

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
I had luck (only once) at Rendezvous Park on the way out of town with a spinner.
[signature]
A lot of those side streams don't have fish in them. But good luck.
[signature]
There is a fly shop in town, you could look them up I'm sure they would have good advice. Been going up there for work lately and wanting to take my rod as well.... you will have to let me know how it goes.
[signature]
Few good holes right above first dam. Also the stretch of river down by the golf course can hold some nice fish if the water is low enough to access it.
[signature]
I'm not a big stream fisherman lately, but I used to fish just below first dam to the water lab and did real well... Especially in the summer with hoppers... they also do really well around the Logan River golf course and down past ICON at times... The run off is negligible this year so you should be fine to try it anywhere... Also don't be quick to believe the no fish in the side streams, I've seen some nice ones work those little tributaries... So yes bring it and have some fun... Don't expect trophies, but every so often they show up too... If the impoundment is more to your liking first dam in the mouth of the canyon has produced lots of nice fish over the years... Anytime is a good time to fish in my book, but don't miss too much of the game, those moments pass too quickly... Later J
[signature]
Ha! Just found out that the field my daughter plays at is about 200 yards from Rendezvous Park (just across the highway). Perfect! Will be fishing in a couple of hours, and won't miss any of the game (maybe a good pair of binoculars could facilitate both at once) [sly].

And the soccer fields sit between Blacksmith Fork and Ballard creek. I'll be able to fish during halftime without having to drive anywhere!

Here fishy, fishy, fishy!
[signature]
Very good, they did a bunch of work on the river channel in that area to reduce flooding a year ago and there are some nice faster riffles through there so good luck and let us know what you find. Later J
[signature]
Me and a bunch of other northbounders made a bunch of traffic on the freeway, and some poor souls who had a nasty accident didn't help the traffic flow. Conesquently, I didn't make it to the game with enough time to fish beforehand. Beautiful night to watch a soccer game, however; and even though my daughter's team lost, it was fun to root them on.

Just as I finished munching down a Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl's Jr., we happened to be approaching Mantua. My daughter said: "Dad, you can stop and fish for a while if you want, I'll wait for you." At first I said I would rather just get home before I got too tired; but just before the turn off I changed my mind. We pulled into the dirt parking lot on the North End of Mantua and I quickly rigged my pole for spinners. Five casts with a gold and red one didn't do the trick, so I asked my daughter to choose the next one. In between slapping the bugs off her face, she chose a grey, black-specked rooster tail. Two casts later, I feel some decent tugging and happily work the fish to shore. A bluegill! Maybe about 7.5 inches, I'm guessing. Biggest I've ever caught. Didn't think they'd hit spinners. Fun.

Tried a fly and bubble for about 5 casts, but nothing more, and it's dark by then. Great little 30 minute treat on the way home. First time at Mantua, and first fish caught in Box Elder County.
[signature]
Nice catch. I have caught green sunfish on spinners before. Scrappy little fighters too.
[signature]
Very cool! Nice little father/daughter outing. [Smile]
[signature]
Sounds like a good day! (except for the people in the accident). I'm headed up there this afternoon to pick up my son from USU for the summer. I'm hoping to be able to leave a little early and hit.... somewhere. Smile

Most of the fishing with my kids starts out with an egg hook, a tiny split shot, and a microscopic bobber. We fish around the edges of the reeds in Salem pond and can usually catch lots of microscopic (2-3") green sunfish. Bait? We don't need no stinkin' bait! My guess is that the hook looked like some of the lighter colored choniromid (sp?) larvae I've seen in there. Or it just looks edible.

The biggest green sunfish I've caught out of there was about the size of yours and it was caught on a very large brown-trout patterned rooster tail. The biggest bluegill I've caught out of there was also caught on a spinner, but this one was some off-brand microscopic bright orange spinner. The 'gill was just over 10" long.

So, they'll definitely hit spinners.

Matt
[signature]
I'm a little late getting in on your request, and you've got plenty of good answers. But like Skunked said, don't discount the little tribs. Heck I've even caught some decent browns out of Spring creek running right behind Walmart. It rolls over by the soccer fields before crossing the freeway to join the Logan.

The riverwalk next to the golf course provides access, rainbows, browns, suckers, carp.
From 6th/8th West out to 10th west there are pathways behind Icon. Then beyond 10th a nice walk/bike trail heading west, following the river.

There's also Skyler's pond over at Willow park. Teeny tiny, but they do stock it. Up to the canyon mouth and the dams is certainly more popular, but then it IS more popular, and the fish are well trained. Mostly rainbows, albinos, and even whitefish. Seen a 17lb Brown pulled from first dam a few years back. So you never know.

Soccer is a great sport. Even if you don't score you get to go out and kick some balls! Glad you had fun with the daughter. Sweet of her to let you pitch Mantua.