Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 4/29/15
It was a beautiful day on the water today. Very calm until about 11am when the wind started picking up. Today was slow by Strawberry standards but we put some small rainbows, several slot cuts and one real nice rainbow on the boat.

The large bow came on a pink squid in 30' of water. The majority of the others came near the surface on rapala type lures. The planer boards sure are nice to get those lures out away from the boat. The surface action picked up as the day progressed with the majority being landed in the last 45 minutes we were on the water around noon. Water temp may have had something to do with that.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. How are the water temps?
[signature]
What kind of planer boards are you using? And I've never had much luck trolling rapalas but never have much luck. So you use a swivel on them and how fast do you troll them this time of year for trout.
[signature]
[quote americanforkdude]What kind of planer boards are you using? And I've never had much luck trolling rapalas but never have much luck. So you use a swivel on them and how fast do you troll them this time of year for trout.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the Off Shore Side Planers tthey come in left and right sides.
if a lot of boats are on the water you can't use them. I was at FG last week and got over ten Kokes on the board.
rapalas you don't use a swivel, put it in the water and see what it looks like and what it looks llike up to 2 mph
I have got a lot of fish on rapalas, My wife bought one that I did not think would work now it is one of my goto lures, at strawberry.
[signature]
Don't you get a lot of twisting in your line if you don't use a swivel?
[signature]
And what lb test are you using with the planer boards?£
[signature]
I was using yellow bird board at 1.6-1.8mph. I ran the lure about 50' behind the board and the board was about 70' from the boat. So we had one out each side of the boat giving is a about 100' of coverage with the downriggers under the boat.
[signature]
[quote liketrolling][quote americanforkdude]I have got a lot of fish on rapalas, My wife bought one that I did not think would work now it is one of my goto lures, at strawberry.[/quote]

I get the same thing, anything she tells me to buy works like a charm. Ironically, she is a vegetarian.
[signature]
I don't think you get line twist with Rapalas because of their action. They move back and forth rather than wobbling all around and twisting[reply][/reply] like say a Jak'es or a spoon
[signature]
[quote americanforkdude]Don't you get a lot of twisting in your line if you don't use a swivel?[/quote]

I use a very small snap swivel mainly to change out lures quickly. Rapala style lures usually don't have too much line twist. I was running a superbraid with a 3 foot flouro leader.
[signature]
[quote americanforkdude]And what lb test are you using with the planer boards?£[/quote]

20lb superbraid with 8lb flouro leader on a meduim-light action rod. I always try to use the lightest tackle possible. A light or ultralight rod just does not have enough backbone for the planer boards when the surface gets choppy. I use L or UL rods on the riggers.
[signature]
Thanks for the great report. I haven't even gotten up to Strawberry yet or put my riggers to use this year, and I definitely need to get up there soon. Glad to hear you got into some. I have the Offshore boards and would probably fish like you were doing, with squids or wedding rings on the riggers and something like pointers and rapalas on the boards. Ooh, I'm getting jazzed just thinking about it. Do you know if they have the full docks in at the Strawberry Lodge ramp?
[signature]
[quote MisterCompletely]Do you know if they have the full docks in at the Strawberry Lodge ramp?[/quote]

The small boat launching docks were in, but not the courtesy docks. They were in the middle of installing the docks behind the marina the day I was there.
[signature]
With a Rapala You use just a snap on the lure to make quick change, use a swivel 4 or 5 feet above your lure.
[signature]