Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead 5/1/15
[cool]Launched the kayak just before gray light from gov't wash and went to net some shad. Finally got the hang of the cast net and was able to catch maybe fifty shad. Went out to the channel marker of gov't wash where some boaters were hooking up and dropped some bait. I proceeded to catch three stripers before the action stopped. Saw toadie79 trolling towards vegas wash and said hi. Nice to see you out there again. Next went out to 33 hole and then towards sand island. Took a break and caught two smb from shore; one was a good 2lber. Got back in there water and got another striper before heading back. Drifted around the channel marker again and got my last striper before calling it a day. Nice day on the water.
[signature]
Awesome!

I was wanting to go pretty bad but work, work, work. Always comes before play
[signature]
It was nice seeing you too BigE. You had a lot more productive day of fish than I did. Lol. I ended up trolling shad from the back of the Vegas wash all the way to sand island without hooking up. I was kind of mad that I missed all the fun in the morning while I was setting up to launch. Serves me right for hitting the snooze button that morning.
[signature]
Way to go Eric! Thanks for a great report. Nice to see you are now on the shad, and in turn some quality stripers. Keep up the good work.
[signature]
Hit up 8mile , on 5/2 sat launched the kayak at grey light . Shad (3"long) were slamming against the shoreline at different spots of 8mile cove. Not like schools of hundreds but small pods of 10 and 30 , a few would push their way out of the water and flop back in. No visible stiper boils , and all signs of shad disappeared just after sunrise. I chucked 3 different lures into what was chasing the shad but no hook ups , appeared to be very small bass . Fished off and on from 5:30 am to about 1PM , 3 Kayakers trolling and pitching lures , avg 3 fish each 2 striper and 7 smallmouth. I caught this guy trolling around the island exposed at the entry of the cove , sorry for the sun blast just got a gopro silver and forgot about direction i was facing. Anyhow a little of the same down the road from Govt.

I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW LOW THE WATER IS GUYS ! It really bummed me out , i caught fish but year after year now the fish try in bed and keep getting pushed out do to the ever changing shoreline . Beds are exposed every where i paddled most i found will probably be bone dry in a few weeks with the summer fast approaching. Only found one lmb on a bed . good luck fishing boys !
[signature]
[cool]Thanks guys. Hoping to be back on the water in a couple weeks. Save some fish for me.
[signature]
[quote MOJAVE_RED]

I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW LOW THE WATER IS GUYS ! It really bummed me out , i caught fish but year after year now the fish try in bed and keep getting pushed out do to the ever changing shoreline . Beds are exposed every where i paddled most i found will probably be bone dry in a few weeks with the summer fast approaching. Only found one lmb on a bed . good luck fishing boys ![/quote]

Supposedly they are releasing more water upstream to try and delay as much as possible the water elevation from dropping to 1075 ft because thats when water cuts start. Its at 1078 atm. I read its not forecast to hit that lvl until water year 2016, but I think that starts in October. If what's being reported is accurate, water levels should be roughly where they are now through striper season.
[signature]
I hope your rite on the lake leveling off but I spoke with a DOW officer and was told he expects it to drop 6 more feet by june before leveling off for the summer. He also says there are some preliminary plans to dam up some ramps and pour new concrete.
Lets hope!!!!
[signature]
They announced the ramp work/extensions throughout the lake a couple weeks back.

Going to be painful, say launching at Callville, if they drop it down to one lane for an extended period... That's one busy ramp.

[url "http://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/news/2015-launch-ramps.htm"]http://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/news/2015-launch-ramps.htm[/url]

[url "http://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/news/ramp-conditions-may-1.htm"]http://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/news/ramp-conditions-may-1.htm[/url]
[signature]
thanks wolfs. your always on top of it!
[signature]
That you are Wolf !!! Always! I have been hearing good things about southcove . Any of you guys hit fishing up on the Az side ? Bonelli Bay , Temple Bar , South Cove ? I have been to Temple Bar once last year , its a long drive to get to Temple , or South . i was just curious if any of the Vegas guys venture over there at all ?
[signature]