Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua today
Decided to try for my first early season bass, and hoped for some bluegill as well. I should have known better after the storm, but neither species were feeling friendly today. The waves were rocking my pontoon, and I got a few nice splashes kicking around. Once I focused my efforts on trout, things got more interesting. Not the planters I was expecting, but all 14-16 inch fat rainbows. They were really aggressive with a good fight, and it was one of those fun days where they were launching out of the water immediately after hookup. Ended up catching about twelve total, a pretty fun day.
very nice. Thanks for the post
[signature]
Gotta love it when plan B saves the day.
[signature]
I was on the water Saturday (5/2) before, during, and after the cloud burst and it was frustrating. Saw a lot of big females cruising in 2-3 feet of water. Put everything we had in front of those girls and they were totally disinterested. Had better success blind casting around the boat but caught smaller fish.

However, I was able to pull off the trifecta - Bass, Bluegill, and Trout. Bass came on plastics and a couple of spinnerbait fish. Even one on a buzzbait. Trout and Bluegill came on fly tackle. Trout came on dry dropper (chironomid)...Bluegill came on a Griffith's gnat. Nothing too earth shattering or creative but hey, it worked.

Nothing like the week before (4/25). Probably had a 30+ bass day. All fish caught on various presentations of soft plastics...Senko, Jig/Trailer, craws, lizards in the shallows. Fishing buddy and I traded 2, 3, and 4 lbers all day. Bass thumb was rampant for sure.

HM
[signature]