Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Fly Rod for the $$$?
Hey Guys, just getting into fly fishing, wondering if any of you guys had some advice on a good fly rod/reel combo for the $$$. I am not looking to spend a fortune (hoping to stay in the $100-$150 range for the combo). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!
[signature]
Cabelas has a good low cost series- either a 8ft 4 or a 9ft 5.
Tough to beat for starting out- I have 4 Sage rods and when I pack I take the 8ft 4wt from Cabelas.
[signature]
I am leaning towards a cabelas rod, mainly because I have a couple of gift cards that I could use there. So it is the sage series that I need to look at? I am really wanting a good rod to fish on Boulder, and suggestions as to what wt would be best? So I would be hitting some lakes, probably not going to be doing a ton of river fishing, not sure if that changes anything, but that would be the main use for what I am wanting to do.
[signature]
I'd recommend getting a Redington cross water rod then buy the reel and line separate instead of a combo.

I use my 6 wt cross water for bass, trout, carp, and pan fish all day.

One of my reels that I got is a Wind river reel from cabelas that I put type 2 sinking line on it and works pretty good for $19.99 on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/F...type%3DGNU
[signature]
I suggest buying a 5 or 6 weight rod...the Cabelas rods are fine. I have always felt like the Pflueger Medalist reels were great entry level reels...I still use one on small streams and have had it for around 20 years! The Medalist reels usually cost around 30-$40....
[signature]
I would highly recommend the Cabelas RLS+ 5 wt in 9 ft 4 piece. Comes with a great reel, line, nice rod that casts well, and a protective case for rod& reel. You can usually get it for $150. I use several of the same reels on my Sage rods. You will grow with this rod set up for many years and it will handle any trout or bass you catch. Caught several 5 lb rainbows and browns on Hebgen lake and the Madison river with it last fall while letting my friend test my Sage One rod.
[signature]
If all you're doing is lakes 9-10 foot 6wt. TFO sig or pro series slap a medalist on it buy a floating line with loop ends and then pick up some rio sink tips. With that setup you're covered in 100% of the lake fishing you could do. All for under $200 and you won't need to be upgrading in a year .
[signature]
My 2 cents - Buy a medium priced fly rod, a cheaper reel, and the best fly line you can afford.

For fishing lakes go with a 9ft 6 weight with a med-fast action. I like Reddington but also have had good luck with Cabalas Rods.

In fact last year I picked up a 9ft 6wt Cabala's Lsi fly rod for fishing lakes and I have loved it. I put a Cabalas Prestige plus reel on it and loaded it and a couple extra spools with Scientific Anglers Intermediate line, a type 3 sinking, and a floating line. I have had great luck with this rod on trout, bass, and even wipers from my kick boat and on shore.

Mark
[signature]
There are guys far more knowledgeable than I on the subject, but one tip that may help is to go into Cabelas or SW and "cast" several options in your price range. You may find you like the "feel" of a certain rod over another and that would be your best choice. I did that and I got a decent nymphing rod for a good price that I've been happy with for the last couple years.

I agree that a decent midrange (not cheap/not budget busting) reel will serve you just fine.
[signature]
I've yet to see a situation when you could buy the pieces separately cheaper than the combo. I have a 6 weight SA combo that was the first one I purchased over twenty years ago that still serves me well. That being said I purchased a Cabelas 8 weight RSL combo that included prestige floating line to fish for bone fish in the ocean two years ago. I figured this may be the one and only bone fishing adventure so I didn't want to unload my account. After using it for a week I really enjoyed the feel and balance and even though I'm a little over gunned (or rodded I suppose) I use it for trout quite frequently on the lakes around here. It is great in the wind and I would never speak ill of the setup.
[signature]
Check out the cgr it's a sweet rod and usually goes on sale for $79. I have heard great things about the prime rods to but they're one peice. The eagle claw featherlights are great too and only cost $30. Also check out vintage rods on ebay. A lot of cheap rods out there! Sorry I just love glass!
[signature]
Reddington Classic Trout 4wt! I've had mine for about 5 years and it's my go to rod, I've broken it once and with the lifetime warranty you can't really go wrong. Although, when I did break mine last summer it took some prodding to customer relations/warranty services to get it back in a timely manner (4 weeks are freakin' kidding me!). It has a slower action, but I really like the way it casts, I've got it slightly overloaded with 5wt line, so loading it can get me a little extra power for casting into the wind. I think they're selling it on the Cabelas site for around $90. I do a lot of hiking and fishing in somewhat remote locations during the summer, so if you like hiking and fishing definitely get the four piece, it's compact enough to slide into a backpack in the hard case. I've got a g-loomis venture 5 on it and the balance of the whole outfit is about at my index finger. Depending on where you are (I'm in Logan) Sportsmans Warehouse might have one in stock. I've seen one in the Logan store in recent weeks. Great Value I think.
[signature]
All you guys are freaking awesome! Thanks so much for the advice! I have a lot of thinking to do and decisions to make! Cannot wait to get out there and find my new rod, then get the line in the water! Thanks again, some great advice and it is greatly appreciated!
[signature]
I would go with the Redington Path combo. The Path combo is a little better than the crosswater and the rod has a lifetime warranty. The reel is also slightly better than the one on the crosswater combo. I believe it is $169 for reel, line, and rod.

Windriver
[signature]
You have gotten a lot of great advice. I would echo the recommends for Redington gear. Which one is really all about your casting and what feels best for you.

Personally, I have fallen in love with the Vapen series.

But that may not be the one that fits you best.

Try a few out and see what feels right in your hand. It might be the least expensive Crosswater, or it might be something in the higher cost. Medium action Classic Trout, Fast action Vapen, Slow action Butter Stick, Medium Fast Torrent and Path. There is a lot to look into.

The great thing about Redington is that you are getting a lot of trickle down from their sister company, Sage, which makes some of the finest rods available.

Redington has made some duds in the past, but in the recent years, they have been kicking out some real gems.

When I first started fly fishing, you either jumped up to a higher priced rod, or you typically got some poor performing rods. That is just not the case any longer. Most of what is on the market today from reputable companies in the low to moderate price is as good as the top performing rods from fifteen years ago, imo.

Enjoy and hope you get the one that fits your style.
[signature]
Just thought I would give ya an update...ended up getting the reddington path combo from cabelas, it felt the best, almost went with the CT, but stuck with the path. Again I wanted to thank all you guys that posted and gave advice!!! Can't wait to bust it out and see if I can post some pics for you guys! Thinking that a trip to Boulder might be the christening voyage for it! Looking like might have a few days in early June! Thanks again!
[signature]
I think you made a good choice, and am looking forward to your next post.

humpy
[signature]
cabelas RLS has treated this fly fishing novice nicely. nothing to compare it to but it casts well and the action on the rod is great. i have a 5wt, catching browns on the provo is a blast
[signature]
As much as I think you need a reel that balances out on your rod when loaded up as to size and weight!
For freshwater, you don't need an expensive reel!You very seldom have your line ripped off by a fish in fresh water so the drag system very seldom is in use!
There are plenty really good freshwater reels $100 or less. Like the Osprey at Bass Pro, that's made by Orvis. The best one is The Loomis reel, Very smooth, light and great looks.

Cheers, https://diceus.com/10-software-developme...attention/
[signature]
If you want a great reel for the money ( especially a lake reel ) look up Goture reels.
[signature]