Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua last Saturday 5/2
Started just south of the knoll at about 7:00, casting between some trees at an obvious bluegill school. Ended up catching 19 chunkers for fish tacos and one medium size LMB, releasing at least a dozen bluegill and a few LMB. Done at about 11:00 due to light rain and moderate wind, it shut the fish off like a faucet. After it went away they came back for a bit but it was time to go.

The strange thing was the few little LMB's I caught. Wasn't going to post about this because it was such an easy species to target but I got to thinking about the LMB and I thought I'd share what I was using. With the bluegill I was tossing a worm under a bobber and it was pretty much an instantaneous bite. The LMB on the other hand were always on a giant mealworm. They seemed to like the mealworms so much that even though there was an obvious mob of bluegill, every single fish caught on a mealworm was a LMB.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up on using mealworms for bass. I fished it yesterday with two of my sons and my daughter-in-law and the bass had lock jaw for us. We did have an every cast bluegill day with a #14 renegade behind a bubble. I like the fly just for the fact that you don't have to mess with worms and they usually get hooked in the lip!
[signature]