Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brownlee walleye?
Was just doing some internet wandering and started reading some old posts and some websites that were talking about brownlee walleye. Two such websites mentioned that Brownlee Reservoir is the best walleye "lake" in Oregon, mentioning the Columbia as the obvious best walleye fishery in Oregon. Someone in the post I read mentioned they've caught them in the snake in Ontario and a few in the reservoir. Anybody have any information on this? I'm not a walleye fisherman, and don't know much about them but I thought this was interesting. Never had heard such a thing.
[signature]
I have never heard of anyone catching a walleye out of Brownlee . I have caught Bass , Catfish , Bluegill ,Perch , Crappie , Trout , and carp. There are also Sturgin , but I have never caught 1 .
[signature]
I haven't either so that's why I was curious. One thing I read was talking about it being a new and growing fishery? Just weird a guide service would mention brownlee...
[signature]
I've read stuff like this also, sure I think they could be in there, but I've never seen nor caught one. I've talked with the park host at Woodhead and they clean the fish cleaning station every night And they have never seen a carcass in there in the 12 years I've been going there.
[signature]
+1 EZOP.
I found a OR guides website that has this claim. A little more digging and I found where I think he got the info from. It came from one of those websites that covers fishing in all 50 states and has no useful information and many times totally wrong information. It recommends live bait for walleye in ID for example. It's only purpose is advertising and I bet not a angler in office. As for the guide that copied and pasted the info - I wouldn't pay him a dime for his sevice.
[signature]
That would explain it... I'm trying to find the posts,I think they were old bft posts actually, that someone had said they caught walleye in the snake near Ontario .. I ill post the link if I can find them.
[signature]
http://www.bigfishtackle.mobi/cgi-bin/bi...ost=270715

If the link works, there's mention of it a few posts down. Maybe the post was meant to stir the pot? Not sure.
[signature]
A friend of mine was the District conservation officer in the Magic valley region. He told me of a Walleye checked at Strike, and another checked in the river above the Twin Falls Dam. Ron
[signature]
I hope the checks are right. We need more wally opportunities in ID.[url][/url]
[signature]
+1 on that fallsfish!!
I heard about the one at CJ Ron. With them being upstream it's only a matter of time before we see fishable population in the Snake IMHO. Question is how long will it take for that to happen? As for saying Brownlee is the go to lake in OR for walleye I just don't believe that. I did learn that Idaho is the go to state for sea run Atlantic Salmon. Learn something new everyday on the web.
[signature]
That's interesting. Did he have any idea where they came from?
[signature]
The Fish in the Twin Falls pool were blamed on a guy that they were keeping an eye on but never could prove it if I remember right.
[signature]
I know that dude! He got caught drinking and driving multiple times, he now is a ward of the state. Fitting.
[signature]
FYI -
I’m not aware of any walleye being present or having been caught in the Snake near Ontario. The nearest walleye fishery on the river that I’m aware of is quite a distance downstream around the confluence of the Palouse. It’s likely some fish have travelled further upstream from there, but perhaps not in any numbers to qualify as a fishery. There are two very popular walleye fisheries in two southern Idaho reservoirs that I believe drain into the Snake, but again I’m not aware of any fish having travelled downstream from these to the river.

I’ll do some additional checking and will let you know if I come across anything different from the above. There is always the possibility of fish showing up in a new or unexpected location, but as you’ve noted that doesn’t necessarily mean the numbers are worth fishing for and sometimes these will be only temporary and the fish will disappear on their own.

Gary Galovich
Warmwater Fish Biologist
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE
Salem OR 97302
503-947-6223 or in Corvallis at 541-757-5244
[url "mailto:Gary.M.Galovich@state.or.us"][#0000ff]Gary.M.Galovich@state.or.us[/#0000ff][/url]
[signature]