Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bank night fishing for crappie
I just started do this 3 weeks ago. Went and bought the expensive bobbers returned 2 and go the glow sticks. Started with light colored jigs, thanks to another fisherman who explained that at night you needed dark colored lures, crappie find looking up so can see the darker bait against the sky. Out here in Idaho we can't use live minnows so that takes them out of the picture.

First weekend I scored 1 with the help of the other fisherman who gave me a 2" gulp minnow. The next weekend I caught 6, then this weekend I was back to1. Need to find the schools. An old-timer shared how they would hook a balloon on the first one and then follow the balloon around.

Another said how they would put live minnows in a jar and put it by the boat. I know the last one is against our rules here, I called F&G and asked. Not sure if the first wouldn't be harassing the game fish, but both sounded interesting.

I have been using a slip bobber with a glow stick, but most everyone else has fixed bobbers with glow sticks and the common color is green, not sure if that makes a difference. Need to find a bulk supply for the glow sticks.

I just got a collapsible wagon so I can load everything and not make so many trips back to the Cherokee and when my wife comes it's even better!

All in all I am having a blast learning a different method for the awesome tasting crappie
[signature]
Still working on increasing my take and size and still have more to learn. Such as having my jig be as horizontal as possible and will be trying a different method of hooking up my bobber.

However my best solution to handling the gear to get to the area I fish has involved multiple trips which is hard on my knee and hips, so I purchased one of the collapsible sport wagons and it worked out very well at this spot. Here is a picture.
[inline "sport wagon croped.jpg"]
[signature]
Hey Michael, I realize this post is 8 months old, but I wanted to ask if you are fishing a lake or is it moving water. I use a 1/16 oz. jig with a twin-tail grub (TroutMagnet) a lot for pan fish and it comes with a real light bobber. I wonder if that might work for night fishing?
[signature]
I learned that I need to fish shallow like 2' and have hard lures or bait as when crappie look up, the way they feed is up, what they are going after will look dark against the night sky. I was working with Berkley gulp minnows.
[signature]