Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 day fishing trip, boulder mountain
Heading to boulder mountain in june, this will be are first time, and finding information has been a beast. I don't wanna be where someone don't want us, im obviously wanting to find bigger fish, but not wanting any secret spots. I am just curious if anyone can give us advice on some routes we can take, we will be backpacking in. PM me if you have any information that would help us, thanks!
[signature]
the very small amount of time i fished there has taught me one thing. purchase a map and explore. half the fun of that place is putting in the hard work and discovering the gems for yourself. have fun, it sure is nice down there!
[signature]
Contact the Dixie national forest. They have maps and more info on trails that will help. I have only Hiked the north part to one lake so I won't have too much info otherwise.
[signature]
Hit the south end of the mountain--Barker Lakes area (North Creek drainage). There are a bunch of lakes that you can backpack into from there....and some of those lakes have some really nice fish in them.
[signature]
Wait for the hornets nest you just kicked!!!
[signature]
?
[signature]
Good Luck getting info handed to you on the Boulders. Best bet you have is to use the following resources.
1.Flyfishersguide to Utah - Good But Dated info.
2.Google Search (Use a few forum names in your search and you will find some threads on it Wink )
3.Check the stocking reports on DNR's website.
4. Put some miles on your hiking boots.
5. Google Earth is your friend.

The info is there but no one is going to hand it out on a platter like some areas.

I tend to research fishing areas like I did college papers so I tend to be able to find info on any area I want to fish so even though I am new to UT Ive got a few lakes down there to hit, but the list was established from a lot of reading. Once you start looking into this area you are going to find that since it is a honey hole you will find very few specifics on which lakes to hit. Which to me is fine as that's part of the adventure.
[signature]
[quote Bmarsh]Good Luck getting info handed to you on the Boulders. ...
The info is there but no one is going to hand it out on a platter like some areas.

[/quote]

i disagree. I think all he has to do is ask a bit more specific of a question. He's already been given good info on the North Creek drainage.

"The Boulders" is a pretty large area. It's hard to answer a question when it is posed as: we want to go back pack the Boulders and catch huge fish. Where should we go?"

Some follow up questions are:
1. What area of the mountain interests you?
2. What kind of fish (brook trout, splake, grayling, cutthroat, tiger trout)?
3. do you understand that most lakes have roads within a couple miles?

Getting the information isn't going to be hard. Most of us are very willing to share what we know and help others have a great experience.

Just start asking questions.
[signature]
Thanks everyone, that helps. I have been looking around alot and have a lot of good ideas. A map will be a must, getting one lake to another is sounding the most challenging. Your right PBH, I could ask better questions, I kinda was just hoping to hear a idea of a few lakes, I have certain lakes I plan to visit because of how many have mentioned them. In my mind, they must get mentioned cause they are easier to get to, and work well. Not exactly sure how much exploring we will do, if it was just me, that's all I would be doing, but he is not that into fishing. It might be finding a camp then fish by that same place for most of the days. Not exactly sure how it will go, bUT I want to have a few plans either way.
[signature]
Swing into the DNR map store on north temple. They have the forest service maps for that area.
[signature]
Was up there today. Still snow blocking access to the higher lakes. Fished posey , and upper and lower barker. Caught fish except at lower. Looked like it may have winter killed a bit. Didn't see any cruisers and I counted a dozen belly up fish along the shore.
They just planted the Barkers, could be some of those that are belly up. For KingTwistedKidd I have fished there my whole life and tried about every lake up there, so its hard to give away hard earned knowledge. The process of gaining the knowledge on the Boulder is the fun part. Some good places to start and explore from are the Barkers that have been mentioned, Deer creek on the East, Fish creek or Donkey on the North. Good Luck
[signature]