Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay 2015 Flotilla
It was a WET one ! But since all bodies that did brave the wind and rain and actually launched, made it safely back to shore and lunch, it was a good one. I got to the ramp just after 0700, and thought maybe it had all been canceled as I was the first one there.

[inline 150516_001.jpg]

But within a few minutes Skunked Again showed up, then not too long after that Coyotespinner, Reelfast and Wiperhunter2. Weather never got any better than it was at 0700, wind and rain got worse. Yote and I launched right behind Reelfast. (Wish I had the kind of wind and rain protection he does) They got out the channel and headed south. Yote and I headed north with the wind at our back. But the wind just got stronger and made it impossible to maintain control for trolling. I think our decision to head back to the marina was the better part of valor. We were parking in the marina when HD7000 arrived with his crew. After trying to tough it out in the marina, I wimped and called it time to pull out. My feet were soaked and hands so wet and cold couldn't handle anything.
Now, the nice part of living only 20 miles from WB, I was able to make a quick run home and drop the TinCan, and change into some dry clothes. Then back to the Pelican Beach Group area.
The day wasn't a total wash out. Several nice fish were caught, no one got left in the bay, and the Pig Out Chowder was quite outstanding. I'm sure others that were there would prefer to make their own reports, so I'll just post some of the photos I managed on my cell phone.
Oh yea, Skunked, you are to be commended for all the planning and work you put into this gathering. We won't blame ya for the crappy weather cause the chowder was so dang good. [laugh] [Image: happy.gif] [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Good on ya'll for braving the elements. I am tough but not that tough!
[signature]
It was great meeting everyone - even with the wet conditions! Think several have pretty much let everyone know how things went - Thanks Skunked for arranging things and to everyone for their good company and good eats - although we never did try the kimchee Yote brought - LOL

There were some nice catches by those that ventured out - way to go guys!

Looking forward to the next one - maybe we'll even get to wet line by fishing and not just from the rain. [laugh]

Took a few pics too...
[signature]
[#484848]I stopped by to talk to everyone on my way up to Brigham City, at approximately 11:30, but I couldn't find anyone.[/#484848]
[#484848]I guess you were still out on the water.[/#484848]
[#484848]There was a Toyota with a Yak carrier, and a truck camper parked by the pavlion, but no bodies.[/#484848]
I'm glad y'all had a good time.
Maybe next time.
[signature]
Stupid is as stupid does!

A typical morning like this one, I would have looked out the window and said "hell no". But since I was meeting folk, and had "bring-mes" to attend to, I couldn't back out. Plus knowing there would be hot chow-down chowder kept me motivated.

Was hoping for a quick slam-bam-thank-you-maam during out short trolling adventure, but alas. As you say Forest, at least everyone made it back safe. Even Reelfast in his big rig wasn't loving the big waves and pounding rain.

BUT sure was great to put a few faces to names and shake a few hands. Plus a chance to meet some of the "competition" face to face! Bwahaha.
Even BLK came up to boast about his fair skies and 7 catfish morning down south!

Nice to meet Rocky in the flesh, and Stickleback, you're a worthy adversary! And a genuine nice guy.
HD7000, those fish sammiches were great, and your kid's a rocking angler! I confirmed I DO have that same tartar sauce (think I got it at the dollar store even!)
Jjannie - nice to meet you both. You emanate a good vibe!
Jeff, you do us all a kindness. What with all your scrambling and prep, and fine volume cooking skillz! Excellent. Got me thinking - maybe chowder is what I offer up at my HS reunion this summer. Sharing a big 5-0 birthday back in Chicago, my kind of town.

You can be glad my new hot peppers arrived AFTER the trip. Got seeds, powders, and oils. Ghost and Scorpions - had I slipped a little dash of powder in that stew, it WOULD have been a hot soup! Holy Cow!

Curt - thanks for lining up the pavillion, too bad it doesn't have side-walls! You and Reelfast braved the elements longer than anyone else. Shoulda got a prize for that, "here's your sign"!

Again - thanks for the ride Tin-Can. Nice to see you, and your little dogs too!
Thanks for snapping all them pix. Too bad you can't tag people like FB allows. I had the bright blue jacket, and hands FIRMLY tucked in dry pockets! Had a BFT hat on earlier, but it was SO soaked had to swap out.

IKR - I guess I needed to uncap the kimchi and start handing folks dishes. I think my pastrami could have gone real good on them fish sammiches too. Smoked it myself! Probably should have broke out the kimchi with crackers and cheese with the chowder was stewing.

The Catfish Crowd has talked about doing something like this at some point during the competition. Maybe we can find some fairer weather. Willard may not be a "central" point, but might be a viable option. Suppose we could travel south and meet up at Utah Lake somewhere, if there's any of it left by later in the season!
Sorry we missed you, we were there within minutes of when you were. It was a fun visit today I sure enjoyed the time I got to chat with everyone. Thank you so much to all that helped with everything today. Jil really appreciate all you did to make it possible to get the chowder on when we said we would.

Well the weather was wet and windy and I didn't expect to see any fish caught but HD7000 really rocked them taking our contest top score and the $25 Sportsmans Warehouse gift certificate. I believe he totaled 84 points and had a wiper we couldn't count per our rules. Tyson Galloway took the biggest wiper at 22" and the $10 CAL Ranch gift certificate and I got the walleye prize since HD had already taken the big prize.

Well thanks again everyone. Later Jeff
[signature]
Yeah a drier day and a gathering here down south would be great. A little earlier notice and I might just be able to get it off. No guarantees though. If it was on a Sunday I could definitely be there for a great picnic.
[signature]
as I attended the end of the floatilla for the food and the flag, I got to meet a few of you all. Just so you know last December I was deaf (thus the name deafman) but having surgery on my ears I am now learning to hear again. so if you run into me ,bear with me...Anyway the people that did go fishing seemed to have a great time!! congrats to the winners and all participants anyone who braved the weather where winners in my book!!!
[signature]
deafman, I'm glad I at least got to meet and shake your hand. Look forward to crossing lines with you again this summer.

[fishin]
[signature]

Cool
The four of us warming up inside the truck camper saw you pull up, WaveWolf. We were squirming out of our seats when you pulled back out. Sorry we missed you.

I was looking forward to the kimchi, but forgot to ask about it. Sorry about that, too!
[signature]
I put in my morning at UL and the weather was nice... until 10:00. Cats were biting even in the 57 degree water and I managed to extract seven of them before the wind came up. Decision time: sit home and watch ball games or make a two hour dash to Willard for some grub... and to meet some good friends. Glad I went. Got in on some good fixin's and it was good to meet people in person. Time well spent.

Thanks to Jeff and crew for the time and effort to put the event together. Good job.

Now it's time to get back to some serious cattin'. [Wink]

BLK
[signature]
So Forrest is this what you need?

[inline DSCN2052-400.jpg]
[inline DSCN2053-400.jpg]
[signature]
That pastrami looked great Yote, our loss that we didn't open it up to add it to the sammiches, would have liked to try it. Maybe next time...

We're certainly up for another outing later in the year as well. Maybe next time we'll even wet a line!
[signature]
OOOh - I do I do! Actually think my bigger boat used to have such a thing, many moons ago. Now I don't even have a windshield. (anyone got a skinny boat windshield setup? Or a Bikini top! )

But - even that kinda setup didn't help Wiper and Reelfast when the rain was pounding from behind.

Well carp and double damn, I shoulda just popped the lid on that Kimchi, and set some bowls next to it. I just never know if folks really like that fermented crap! Haha.
I'll just say it's not an olfactory experience, but a taste sensation. Bit of a bite, might have warmed ya up from the inside.
I do think the home-smoked pastrami would have slapped down well with those yummy fish sammiches.
NEXT TIME!

So - I wondered where you appeared from Rocky, cuz all of a sudden - you were there! I'd wondered if Wave missed ya'll squirreled up in that cozy camper! Probably gots a heater on in there even!

So Curt - THIS is BLK, he was hiding under his hoodie. Sometimes you can recognize him by his rosy thumbs! I did finally get "official" scores posted, and no surprise the master catter has a solid lead, and largest fish. Though I didn't see any new entries from that stellar cat morning we kept hearing about (jab!joke)

[center][inline BLK.jpg]

[inline "Catfish20006 polish - 400.jpg"]

[left]I think Jeff and his crew just grabbed all the cookware for later washing. Plenty of water, but no soap! Jeff, hopefully you put them boys to work! Ha. They needed something to warm up to. Saw a bit of shivering there.
[/left][/center]
Well, something like that would have at least kept me and Yote dry once we retreated to the marina to get out of the waves. But I would need the boat to go under it cause it wouldn't fit on the Tin Can. Someday I'm gonna get me a 19 ft. Triumph Center console with all the bells and whistles...................yea, right......[sly]
[signature]

Cool
We can all dream. I want something a little lighhtet myself. Looking at either a bass boat or a deep V.
[signature]
I was pretty happy my boat kept floating and the motors kept running that was a little crazy when a couple waves crashed over the bow. Boys took it like some crusty old sea dogs so we fished on and got a little wetter. Was jealous of Reel Fast's setup though, that is a dream machine. I know he and Curt acted like they got rained on just to make us feel better, but I know they were watching big screen TV in there and sitting in a hot tub. Wink Wink

Deafman did we meet, I visited with a couple gentlemen that I didn't catch a name, but I enjoyed meeting you if one of those guys were you. Sorry I was a little flighty and didn't have long to visit with all the logistics of the day.

Kevin, a Utah lake get together would be fun sometime, but I have other Sunday responsibilities so I'd have to do it another day and the long distance logistics would need someone else to take point on that one, but I'd like to participate.

Anyway now im headed back to work I have time to enjoy the fun of that whirlwind event. Thanks so much for each one of you that made it a great time. Fun group here at BFT that join together to make a Funtime even better. Well look forward to seeing you on the water. Later Jeff
[signature]
Here are a couple of pics of deafman.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]

So Curt - THIS is BLK, he was hiding under his hoodie.

[center]
[/quote]

I do remember seeing him there, just don't remember talking to him. If so, he must be the only one I missed[shocked].
[signature]