Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Strawberry trip 5-16-15
Great koke day at the Berry.
Started at 8:30 and pulled lines at exactly 1:30.
Brought home 9 kokes ranging from a little 1 lb. shaker that bled to our biggest at 2 lb. 12 oz.
Also kept the 2 lb. bow.
We released one little shaker, 3 other 2 lb. bows, and 4 or 5 cutts.
Most bows and cutts caught on pointer crank in blue/silver.
All other fish caught on KCT tackle at 1.6 or so mph.
Right at 1:29 I lost a fish at the boat that would have at least been equal to our biggest.
Thank you DWR for an amazing salmon fishery this close to home.
[signature]
Nice, how was the weather up there
[signature]
Nice report. Thanks. I want to try for kokanee more seriously this year. What gear do you like for fishing for them? I'm thinking about getting gear for them, but not sure what I want. I have plenty of spinning gear but not anything light or ultra light like what most use. What depths were they today? Thanks for any insight.
[signature]
[quote fishman]Nice report. Thanks. I want to try for kokanee more seriously this year. What gear do you like for fishing for them? I'm thinking about getting gear for them, but not sure what I want. I have plenty of spinning gear but not anything light or ultra light like what most use. What depths were they today? Thanks for any insight.[/quote]

click on [font "Verdana"][size 4]Kokanee[/size][/font][font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][size 4] [/size][/font][font "Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif"][size 4]Creek Tackle Company above [/size][/font]
also look at the tips at Rocky Mountain Tackle
if you have downriggers you are set, if not you will need to buy some.
also google how to catch Kokanee. you need dodgers and Squids
and Berkley Gulp Pink Maggots to put on your hooks., and scent to put on the dodger
and a good fishfinder so you know how deep to run your lures.
and boat speed 1.5 to 2.2 mph. some people like to go slower than that but I catch most of mine at that speed. I do drop my speed to 1mph then speed right back up.
[signature]
Sounds like It's time I get my rigger repaired[crazy]
[signature]
Not bad at all, winds to 8 or 9 mph with an occasional rain flurry that ended as soon as it started.
I forgot to add we lost a couple more kokes behind the boat due to them jumping like crazy and throwing the hook. Once I re-sharpend the hooks we did not lose any until the 1:29 fish.
We talked to 2 other boats that were leaving the same time as us and both parties had kokes also.
Fun,fun,fun!
[signature]

would you mind saying how deep you were trolling ?? If not I understand.
chuck
[signature]
No worries man.
Kokes caught between 20-35' with majority caught between 20-25'.
[signature]
I went up today (5/18) and boated 4 Kokes & lost another 2 very nice ones right at the net. The ones I kept went 2.5 to 3.25 lbs. (the 2 I lost were the biggest - as usual) I caught all of these from the surface to 15 feet in depth.

I think there are fewer kokes this year; however, the ones you catch are bigger than last years (on the average).
[signature]