Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
brownlee crappie
just back from 12 days of rain wind thunder at brownlee. all i can say is CRAPPIE ARE HOT !!!! now is the time to go.when we did get out the fishing was hot! ihavnt caught them like this in years.even caught some thick eleven and twelvers. mostlyeight tonine and three quarters.the closer to powder river the better.[fishon]
[signature]
thanks for your report! drove by the upper end of the reservoir at farewell bend saturday, sure looked like a battle with the wind! glad the fish were biting for you. Were they shallow? suspended?
[signature]
Good thing I went too Woodhead yesterday.... wind wasn't too bad, caught about a 1/2 bucket of Crappie with the wife and kids, was fun, they were anywhere between right on shore too a little suspended, they are spawning right at the moment, saw several doing the naughty while we were stopped by some willows in the water, you can see them flash as they are doing there mating ritual.....
Matt
[signature]
Glad you found them too, and glad the crappie seem to be doing better in there. Size about the same as mentioned above? If only I could find time to catch salmon and crappie and all the other species I want to go after... Too much to do and too little time.
[signature]
we stayed about thirty yards out and cast to shore with a slow retrieve then let it sit by the boat a minute.they were allover the finder some suspended from three to twenty feet.we used chart and chart and red curly tails two at a time.but think a bare hook would have worked[Wink][laugh] wind and rain was only bummer[mad]
[signature]
Anybody have any more recent info on if fishing is still hot?
[signature]
yes it is still good, and will be probably for the next 2-3 years or until they get over populated again and die off, even when it gets hot it still should be great, but don't tell everyone LOL.....
Matt
[signature]
Great day on Saturday. Red and white did the trick on crappie up near powder river arm. Fished for about 4 hours in between boating. Just me and 3 kids. It was hit and miss for 2 hours then turned on for about 2 hours. Ended with 80 or so.
[signature]
Finally made it out, fishing is good as you said! The fish were a little finicky and the bite was light but there are definitely fish everywhere! Also caught a few nice gills.
[signature]
My son and I fished most of Saturday and half the day on sunday. Did well up powder river arm. Came home with 325 crappie filling 3 coolers. Threw about 25 back. Caught numerous small mouth but all were small. We targeted bass off and on but only caught one large mouth that had any size (17"). Caught no bluegill and the crappie seemed a little small. Took my bow and managed to stick one big carp. Great weekend but in all we spent 6.5 hours filleting crappie which is more than i want to do again. Freezer stocked for the year on crappie though! Water temps ranged from 68ish to 73ish depending on time of day and locale. Used mostly typical crappie jigs in 10-20 feet of water. Most had eggs and were prespawn. Would guess fishing will be good a bit longer.
[signature]
Sounds like a good weekend! Welcome to the forum. That is definitely a lot of filleting! I kept about 60, but I am also the lone filleter so I know about how many I want to deal with! Fish for us were also smallish, with a few nice ones mixed in. Seemed like about half the fish had eggs and half didn't. The ones we caught were suspended in 30 feet of water and bit very light. Thinking some were post spawn fish
[signature]
I'm at Woodhead now, crappie are thick and pretty much everywhere. I'll be here all week, stop by and I'll tell whats up, if not just fish, if you don't have a crappie in 20 minutes move to another spot.
Awesome meeting two new friends from Texas Mercedes and Danial, we had a blast catching crapping, site seeing or I say "just cruising and cooling off". Great fish fry also, yum. For everyone else, can't catch them if you ain't up there.
[signature]