Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow fishing under the lights
Made it out with a couple buddies this last weekend shooting carp at night, big time fun!

We launched at 730pm and were instantly into fish in the shallows. Buddy has an 18' duck boat set up specifically for bow fishing, complete with lights, deck, ipilot trolling motor and a yamaha 115 to get us there quick.

Water was crystal clear and in a few hours we'd probably stuck 30 fish all over 5lbs and several pushing 20lbs. We missed easily 2x the fish we stuck, probably more like 5x for some of us on the boat....but practice makes perfect!
[inline 0529152239.jpg][inline 0529152133.jpg]
[signature]
Way to go! Where did you go shooting anyway?
[signature]
Here's a question for ya. My son has one of those scout compound bows. Can a bow fishing set up be rigged on that?
[signature]
If it's the one I found googling scout compound bow...not without some custom mods. most bow fishing reels need the threaded port on the front of the bow that are typically used for stabilizers on hunting bows. I'm sure you could come up with some sort of clamp or something to attach your reel though.

The real problem I see is the draw weight. Amazon lists it as 8-13lbs and pushing the super heavy fiberglass arrows we use, you'll never get enough energy to run an arrow deep enough to get to the barbs.

If he can't pull anymore weight back yet, probably best to wait a few more years. A good entry level bow is the PSE kingfisher. Comes with a spool reel, rest and arrow for $130, draw weights 30-50lbs I think. If you do get that though, get a better rest and save yourself a lot of frustration.
[signature]
Thanks. This helps. I will be on the look out for a decent bow.
[signature]