Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any luck recently near Ogden?
So far this year I haven't had any luck in the usual places.
I usually fish the ponds near ogden:
21st street pond, kaysville pond, roy pond. I have tried the ogden river parkway a few times in the past with no luck.
In the last 3 weeks I added several spots on both ogden and weeber river (always below the mouth of the canyon)to my list as well as one trip to lost creek.

3 weeks, around 10 fishing trips and not one bite.
I was just wondering if anyone has had better luck recently or if its just me.

I have tried power bait in assorted colors, jigs, flies, spinners, worms and even chicken liver.
Im mostly interested in trout, but at this point anything with fins would be an improvement.
I am stuck with fishing from shore for the time being.

Im hoping someone can offer some advice, or point out what out is I'm not doing it doing wrong that will improve my odds out there to improve my odds out there.

Thanks
[signature]
Try Pineview. The crappie bite should be stating any time now. Cast a small jig under a bobber, in 5-10 ft. of water. Keep moving around until you find fish grouped up near structure.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! Just curious how is your presentation? Sometimes a little tweak here and there is all it takes to go from no fish to lots of fish. Also moving around is a must when shore fishing. If you have waders take them with you. Wading for crappie at pineview is a blast right now. I have also waded in the uinta lakes before just to get that little edge and it worked. Wading rivers can help too. I know some of this is just generalities, but each body of water is different and calls for different tactics.
[signature]
I'll have to try pineview again. Thanks.

My presentation veries depending on what im using.
In the rivers the water has been running pretty fast.
I've tried casting upstream and realing across cover( trying for 45° angle, but it's difficult with the current).
I've also tried bouncing live bait off the bottom below a weight.

In the ponds it was mostly just cast out and wait (bait or flies) or cast and retrieve (adjusting speed and changing the angle every few casts)

Im using 6lb test with a 2 or 3 foot leader of the same connected with a snap swivle. With the lures I usually add a clear bubble full of water (or half full depending on the lure) for extra weight, above the swivel.

Any suggestions on improving my presentation would be appreciated. I went fishing a lot as a kid, but spent most of the time goofing off. Ive had to reevaluate a lot of what I thought I knew since I started fishing as an adult.
[signature]
I only use the bubble with the flies. The only other time I use a bubble is if the spoon has no real weight. The leader used for either the fly or small spoon is usually 6-8 lb test. I hold the line in one hand the spool in the other then spread my arms wide. Gives me a good long leader. For the spoons that I use, I use a swivel attached to the main line then clip the spoon to the swivel, same with spinners. Jigs are attached directly to the line. If I use a crank then I skip the swivel and go to a clip for easy change. Same with spinnerbaits for bass.
[signature]
Good to know, thanks.

Finally had some luck.
Got 3 keepers on ogden river near skate park bridge.
Now I'm stoked, going again tomorrow before work.
[signature]
Sweet!
[signature]
I've found a bead head prince fished deep usually works most places on the Weber. If you don't have some send me a PM. Since my neck surgery 4weeks ago I'm going to be tying a lot more than I'll be fishing.
[signature]
[bobhappy] got another rainbow at the same spot today. Somebody said they were catching bigger ones near the prairie schooner too.
[signature]
Sounds like you got it figured out.[Smile]
[signature]
Yeah, I think they were seeing my line. I was using 6lb test line, switched to 6# spider wire and now they hit just fine
[signature]