Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake tragedy
This is Sad to hear. Even though they were prepared with PFD's for all, tragedy struck. This is a good reminder to all of us that cold water can be deadly. When the blows hard, then it is a good time to leave the lake. I give my condolences to the family even though we know not who they are.[Sad]

Everyone be safe out there, please!

http://fox13now.com/2015/06/02/one-dead-...bear-lake/
[signature]
+1 on that. Be ever conscious of the weather, in our part of the world it can change rapidly, and be very unforgiving.
[signature]
6 to 10 ft waves, wow, I've never heard of waves that big in Utah. That is such a tragedy. Prayer go out to the family.[Sad]
[signature]
My prayers and condolence to the families and friends of those involved. This is just another reminder that mother nature does not care about people,and she will kill you if given a chance.
[signature]
So Sad!![frown]
[signature]
That was probably one of the worst nights I've experienced! To see the desperate pain in the faces of the family there was heart breaking. I'm so glad we were able to get them all out that night. The families are never going to be the same again.

The doctor and his wife did the best that they could, but the shear size of the waves and the strength of the wind were more than any ski boat could handle. I never thought that 10-12 foot waves were possible on Bear Lake until I was in them that night!

They were all wearing life jackets and tried to stay together, but they were in the water too long for most of them. Its gotta be the most heart wrenching think I've ever seen.

May God bless and watch over them and their families, and help the rescuers also to deal with the pain. So tragic!
[signature]
Mike we were thinking of you seeing this whole thing evolve, knew you would be in the middle of it... Glad you were able to stay safe in the rescue efforts.. Did you use that new boat you just went and picked up? If so sounds like it got a worst case test... Pretty rough with ocean waves on big blue, except the waves are spaced a little tighter in a freak micro burst storm like that one so they are pretty tough to ride out... Sure a Sad event, can't help but feel some of the pain with them on this one, just tears your heart out... Sure Sad for the families affected... Hope you and your compadres can pull through this together as well, we're all thinking and praying for ya... Thanks for all you do to keep us safe... Later J
[signature]
That was a freak storm for sure. Biggest I have seen in Utah were some 7-8 footers on Bullfrog bay and uplake from Halls crossing. Not cool. Worst waves I have been in were some 4-5 footers on Utah Lake.

Our hearts go out to the family and friends of these people, it is a tragedy. I am just glad that Utah parks have boats now that can handle that kind of water, the old IO's they used to give the rangers were death traps for them.
I can't imagine seeing or being involve in something like that. those conditions sound unreal for the kind of boats we have in this area . thanks for your involvement and my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims.
[signature]
Thank you Jeff and mtcat.
The new boat is a huge asset to this lake. The volunteers and Rangers and sheriff deputies left nothing on the table on this one. I really hope that people learn from this tragedy and pay close attention to the weather up here. Almost every year it claims someone.

We have a tough group of macho guys up here that we work with and almost to the man (and woman) they were very hurt. There are some scars that we all carry and to see some of these guys breakdown is hard to digest sometimes.

I need to go fishing!!!!
[signature]
What's up with this weather? Did that storm last night hit you as hard as it did Cache Valley? I was thinking here we go again, except it was a little later so hopefully everyone was off the lake this time. My daughter was camping in a tent up the canyon so I ran up to check on her and make sure she wasn't facing hypothermia. She was fine I guess I'm a paranoid Dad but this whole deal has left me a little more that way.

Yup you need to go fishing and catch some monster cats to help pull the north up a bit were struggling under the posse's charge. Plus I hope that can bring a little solice to your soul. Best of luck to you and your team. Later J
[signature]
Wow! That was insane wind and lightning last night!

It was a lot slower moving in this time, so there were no boats on the lake. Lots of downed trees though.

The kitty fish are about to get a full on assault from me after I finish my last state test in SLC on Saturday, but it's looking like the south is killing it on Utah Lake this year. I usually get a 31-33" cat or three every year off cutler, so we'll see........
[signature]
Clarkston got nailed by a couple of cells before that windy one came through that hit Logan too. It was intense.[inline hail.jpg]
[signature]
I'm postponing my fishing trip tomorrow because of the predicted thunderstorms. I hate being on the water when there are thundershowers. The weather has been so unpredictable lately that it is better to play it safe.
[signature]
Pretty amazing what you people did. There wouldn't have been any survivors if you didn't brave the storm that night. It's nice to know there are people like you out there.[fishon]
[signature]
Amen. I tip my hat to all the folks who helped.
[signature]
Thanks guys. This forum is such a great support community. I'm sure y'all would do the same when called upon.
[signature]
Ya know I forgot a week ago my Dad got hit with a cell that dumped over 3" of rain in about 45 minutes and turned to hail leaving 2-3" of hail on the ground looking like snow. Half mile away it was only an inch and the damage went from stripping everything to the ground to lite damage. Weird weather this year. Later J
[signature]
In watching the news accounts of the tragedy last evening, I realized that I went to grad school and socialized with the father and mother of one of the surviving teenagers. I haven't seen them for about 10 years. As deeply difficult as that incident is, I'm sure you and your colleagues have the profoundest gratitude for your efforts from the families of the survivors as well as the families of those that didn't make it.

I'm glad you are there for us as well.
[signature]
Hey Mike sorry for the delayed response, had to earn my money today it was crazy busy. Anyway look forward to your joining the kitty contest and I hope you get a chance to relax a bit. Later J
[signature]